Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ForteMP3

Is it just me...Or is DooM chat dead?

Here I am, browsing forums and using IRC...I've yet to see one crowded, and active DooM dedicated channel...Is it just me, or is the social portion of the DooM community coming to a standstill...? I mean, forums are good and all, but there's just something about realtime chat...

Now if only I could find wad that contained the DooM PSX/64 sounds and nothing else so easily..Stupid EDGE wad that crashes other source ports with its custom scripts and weapons...
*mutters incoherently*

ForteMP3 said:

Now if only I could find wad that contained the DooM PSX/64 sounds and nothing else so easily..

Well, I'm prety sure Elbryan42 has all the sounds. That'll get you halfway there.

EDIT: Apparently, he has the wads, but they seem to be offline at the present time.

I have to confess that chatting on a very active channel isn't really me - it gets confusing and hard to follow people really fast.
Naw, I prefer forums.

dsm said:

I have to confess that chatting on a very active channel isn't really me - it gets confusing and hard to follow people really fast.
Naw, I prefer forums.

That rarely happens on #zdoom, ussually people stick to the topic.

Hm? then it's probably me who's the "trouble maker", damn.
I'm just experiencing that people "talk across eachother".

You can't 'ignore' people on forums though, unfortunately.

Jon said:

You can't 'ignore' people on forums though, unfortunately.

User Profile/Edit Ignore List

Wala!

Zaldron said:

That rarely happens on #zdoom, ussually people stick to the topic.

I guess not when I'm there...

the_Danarchist said:

I guess not when I'm there...

It must be your fault then :P

well, IRC is open to to too many petty squabbles IMO. The probelm is, as it's realtime, people blurt before thinking, so unless you have a majority of sensible people, good conversation will be lost very quickly. I know /ignore can deal with most of that, but it's too messy for me.

The forums look nicer, and they're just more, uhhh, better. Whatever takes your fancy, though.

Oh, and ignore Jon, he just moans about everything in true 'Limey' style :P

Limeys. I can't believe they still call us that.

Well, on IRC I tend to joke a lot. This is helpful, because if I blurt out something stupid without thinking, I can always say that it was just a joke - half of the times it actually is a joke, just a bad one :-)

pritch said:

well, IRC is open to to too many petty squabbles IMO. The probelm is, as it's realtime, people blurt before thinking, so unless you have a majority of sensible people, good conversation will be lost very quickly. I know /ignore can deal with most of that, but it's too messy for me.

Bah, I'm just as retarded on the forums as I am on IRC.

pritch said:

well, IRC is open to to too many petty squabbles IMO. The probelm is, as it's realtime, people blurt before thinking, so unless you have a majority of sensible people, good conversation will be lost very quickly.

heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh

Lament said:

heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh

I remember that.

Lament said:

heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh

/me shudders

Reminds me too much of the one time I was in an AOL chat room at a friend's house.

Lament said:

heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh
heh

Heh, don't remind me about that. I got 3 hours of sleep that night because of you and your damn heh trains :P

Uh, they were not my heh trains. Everyone keept saying 'heh' for no reason, and I was laughing at them ;)

Lament said:

Uh, they were not my heh trains. Everyone keept saying 'heh' for no reason, and I was laughing at them ;)

Actually, I think I'm the one who inadvertantly started the whole thing:

<picklehammer> danarchy
<picklehammer> the ultimate conversation starter is "heh"
<Insomniak> hey picklehammer
<Archvile-zZz> heh
<Danarchy> heh
<Insomniak> heh
<picklehammer> heh
<Danarchy> heh
<Jacobi1> heh
<Insomniak> heh
<picklehammer> heh

And so on...

Archvile64 said:

Actually, I think I'm the one who inadvertantly started the whole thing:

Amateur. The heh predates you by years. The original master of heh was Cyb, but he has since passed the torch.

Well, there was that one night where a couple regulars to the Doom channels went and flooded a whole bunch of other OPN channels, so Lilo came to #zdoom and #doom and talked to kurtis and aurikan respectively.

First, he came to #zdoom while I was there and he just kinda told kurtis to watch for troublemakers. He said that if any more regulars from the Doom channels did any more mass flooding, he'd have to label all the Doom channels as 'off topic' and close them down. Kurtis said 'okay' and lilo left.

Then he went over to #zdoom and said the same thing to aurikan. Aurikan basicaly responded by saying that it was the fault of the #doom splinter groups, and he was backed by a couple of the regulars there.

The next day, the channel pretty much shut down, with a +m. Now there is some message on their proclaiming that the people who run OPN are nazis. I have no idea what the fuck happened, but those are the facts as I know it.

Linguica said:

Amateur. The heh predates you by years. The original master of heh was Cyb, but he has since passed the torch.

I meant that specific heh flood.