Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Memfis said:

edit: oh wait, it should say just "armor" I guess? armory is something different apparently.

Armory is where you stock arms and armors.

Edit: Ah fuck it, I'm just terrible at making maps and won't post any screenshots anymore.

Ribbiks said:

somehow I just discovered fly and notarget. kicks ass for taking screenshots

Even better: r_drawplayersprites 0.

Here's something you can put in your zdoom.ini file under [<game>.ConsoleAliases]:

Name=resetsrn
Command=r_drawplayersprites 1;crosshair $ep_crosshair;screenblocks $ep_screenblocks;show_messages $ep_show_messages
Name=savescrn
Command=set ep_screenblocks $screenblocks; set ep_crosshair $crosshair; set ep_show_messages $show_messages
Name=hidescrn
Command=r_drawplayersprites 0;screenblocks 12;crosshair 0;show_messages 0
Name=cleansrn
Command=savescrn;hidescrn;wait;screenshot;wait;resetsrn
Then you can bind a key to cleansrn and it'll make you full-size screenshot without any HUD element on it before reverting the HUD to its previous state. :)

(It's stuff I scavenged from the old "Skulltag expansion pack" by "Supergod" IIRC.)

He's probably using PrBoom+. I made a pwad which shifts weapon sporites off the screen for this purpose.

Memfis: be sure to make your texture composite and use actual supershotgun patch (SGN2A0) in it, so that Freedoom users see the correct sprite.
Here are two screenshots, one takes with Freedoom, the other with Doom 2.

This is Bricks.wad level 1, by Eric Harris. It's refreshing to think that Freedoom compatibility was considered back in 1996. ;)

Meh, too much work and I hate multi-patch textures because they're difficult to carry from one wad to another. Besides, it might look crappy in Freedom anyway because of the different size of the sprite.
I think I make wads more for myself than anyone else so I don't consider some stuff I don't care about (difficulty settings, continuous play, visual tricks not looking correctly in OpenGL, secrets easily findable by looking at the automap, etc).

btw the textures on that screen look REALLY similar.

Memfis said:

Meh, too much work and I hate multi-patch textures because they're difficult to carry from one wad to another.

Not in this case, as you should *not* include the weapon patch in your wad.
But whatever.

tempun said:

He's probably using PrBoom+. I made a pwad which shifts weapon sporites off the screen for this purpose.

Fly and notarget are features in PrBoom+?

Avoozl said:

Edit: Ah fuck it, I'm just terrible at making maps and won't post any screenshots anymore.

Oh c'm'on. What kind of attitude is that?

The screenshots weren't that bad.

Avoozl said:

I demand the return of your screenshots.

scalliano said:

Are those Avoozl's deleted shots? Look fine to me.

Same here I think they look great. Nice moody atmosphere he's got going on there. I especially like the first shot.

Yeah, that first shot is ace.

Others are a bit too dark for me to discern anything right now, but hell, it's Doom, incredibly dark rooms are a staple of the series.

These areas don't look fun to move in, they're very cramped with many tiny obstacles (like these bars on the last screen). The first screen has a nice atmosphere, have you thought about adding a new sky texture?

Well, if I knew how to do that, I probably would. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in modding.

It's not too hard.

Make a new sky texture, around 256x128 in size, using the Doom palette, and flipped horizontally (assuming that matters any; for clouds and mountains, probably not).

Open up, say, SLADE, and put it into a lump file inbetween P_START and P_END marker lumps with the name "RSKY1". Make sure it's saved in Doom's graphic format.

That should suffice for doing a basic sky replacement. There are more in-depth methods, including multi-patch skies that can be much, much larger than 256x128, but no need to go all-out with that yet, right?

Memfis said:

These areas don't look fun to move in, they're very cramped with many tiny obstacles (like these bars on the last screen). The first screen has a nice atmosphere, have you thought about adding a new sky texture?

I'd say it looks alright for fighting Formers, and there's still enough room to dodge fireballs. Plus it looks really nice (I actually said daaaamn grrrl aloud upon viewing said screenie).

Although if JoLo wants to avoid the player getting snagged on the metal pillars, s/he could always place some 'block player' linedefs along the wall between them. That is, if they don't open into secrets or monsters closets, or anything else like that.

Cell said:

Why didn't you color the Supercharge to purple aussi?

it would look too much like the invul which has indeed been made purple :)

Ribbiks said:

it would look too much like the invul which has indeed been made purple :)

Which was actually green! Whatever. Then tell me, which type of the torches has been recolored?

Cell said:

Which was actually green! Whatever. Then tell me, which type of the torches has been recolored?

the palette changes all the greens to purple and vice versa. So if you played the wad without it you would see a lot of GREENWAL, SFALL, and green torches. A side effect is that most iwad sprites/textures get mutilated. I'm still in the process of fixing the ones that look like ass, but I'm keeping the cool looking ones intact (invul for example, looks pretty awesome in purple)

Ribbiks said:

the palette changes all the greens to purple and vice versa. So if you played the wad without it you would see a lot of GREENWAL, SFALL, and green torches. A side effect is that most iwad sprites/textures get mutilated. I'm still in the process of fixing the ones that look like ass, but I'm keeping the cool looking ones intact (invul for example, looks pretty awesome in purple)

Speed of Doom must look really funny with this palette, what with its green sky and such, huh?