Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insanoflex312

Hell Awakened 2 Episode 1 Released!

Its finally done! Hell Awakened 2 Episode 1 is a 9 level wad that features dark D64 style atmosphere with fast-paced, classic gameplay, along with 3 new enemies. 2 from D64, and a brand new one!

Story so far:

Spoiler

After defeating the Gatekeeper, the gates to Hell should close, right? It seems Hell has tricked you into doing its dirty work. As Chiron falls before you, it smashes into the ground, warping the ground around it. The gate widens, and you are thrown about by the shockwave. A blast of evil and hatred drenches Mars in a tidal wave of blood and despair. You awaken, dazed and unsure of your whereabouts. As you stand up, you grab your shotgun and ponder your situation. One thing is clear, though, you must stop this invasion once and for all...

here's the link.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/ha2ep1v2.zip

In case your wondering, episode 2 is a few levels in already, so look for that next year around this time. I'll create a seperate thread for that in a latter date.

Holy smokes, those screenies!

I am still running HAv2, and I found it quite dull in aesthetically, but hells, it's a tough nut to crack, and I like it.

Shall I expect similar challenge, with the aforementioned new and better look? :P

Well, my first sight at Hell Awakened was terrible, only played the first 3 or 4 maps and I must say, I didn't like, though I keep seeing people say it's a great megawad and I've read a review that even compares it to the Community chest 3 (which I LOVE). I made IDCLEV2# and saw a WHOLE LOT of impressive detailed sceneries but it didn't seem to be enough to spend my very little time left to play ha.wad, now seeing those screenshots and knowing there'll be scripting I'm expecting the sequel to be much better.

OK, I'll risk and play ha.wad one day just before playing the sequel. :P

MarkAnthony89 said:

Well, my first sight at Hell Awakened was terrible, only played the first 3 or 4 maps and I must say, I didn't like

The first round of maps is the least appealing of the whole set. You could probably start off at MAP06 and not miss much. There are a lot of cool levels, but you can't just pick up and play them on UV, not that I would recommend it unless you love just mowing down teleporting hordes.

kmxexii said:

The first round of maps is the least appealing of the whole set. You could probably start off at MAP06 and not miss much. There are a lot of cool levels, but you can't just pick up and play them on UV, not that I would recommend it unless you love just mowing down teleporting hordes.

I'm convinced, I will play the first hell awakened and btw, UV is the only difficulty setting that I play, if ha.wad is that much hard it's one more reason why I must play it 'cause I love challenging megawads! :P Thank you.

OK, I'm going to break down here, and ask for help with the visuals. I know I'm having the same problems I had while making the first one ie: plain texturing, lack of decent lighting, and plain rooms/walls. I mean, some parts look good, but I keep reusing the same deco styles(ceiling lights, computers in walls) just to break up the monotony, but it ends up making every level look just too similar. I downloaded cc4_tex.wad to use since it has some nice variation to it, but I'm having trouble re-decorating the levels, anyway. I'm completely out of ideas. Any advise?

If possible, I think you should try to keep up the name of the map. With that, you can write down what you're probably gonna do. Map name, then you start think what it contains, and start listing all possibilities.
Not guaranteed to increase variety, though. You can have two different ideas, yet the implementation could look same.

And since you're using (G)ZDoom, you might wish to explore what action specials it offer. With that, you can make level more lively. Rotary separators, pumps, fans, et cetera.
Definitely not mandatory. You can still do awesome stuff with Boom.

CorSair said:
And since you're using (G)ZDoom, you might wish to explore what action specials it offer. With that, you can make level more lively. Rotary separators, pumps, fans, et cetera.
Definitely not mandatory. You can still do awesome stuff with Boom.

I'm going to stick to D64 style as much as possible(3d beams, colored lighting, skyboxes) so that rules out some things like slopes and other things, but at the same time, I want it to be highly detailed and modern, so I might explore those GZdoom features. My demon-mode will be easier and better, though. I'm not sure if I should commit to anything super modern just yet. I did re-decorate my levels 1-5, though, so I'll release some new screenies when I get the chance.

Re-texutred/re-decorated maps 1-5, and I'm in the middle of re-doing some of map 6. I'll get around to re-decorating levels 7-11 soon, but in the mean time, how am I doing so far? It still looks plain to me. Maybe I should upload a short demo or something? I don't know. I'll never be happy with it, I guess :)

updated original post with screenshots.

insanoflex312 said:

Re-texutred/re-decorated maps 1-5, and I'm in the middle of re-doing some of map 6. I'll get around to re-decorating levels 7-11 soon, but in the mean time, how am I doing so far? It still looks plain to me. Maybe I should upload a short demo or something? I don't know.

getting feedback during development is a great thing, perhaps the greatest of things.