Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Doomworld "Secret Santa" Project - SECOND MAP POSTED

Nice to hear about all of the progress, guys! Wish my report was a optimistic, but for the past few months, my interest in Doom has gone down all across the board. I'll try and pump something out before it's all said and done, though (not to mention that December-April are generally the 'slow' part of my year, so I tend to live on a computer for weeks).

As for those who haven't checked in (ESSEL!), prepared to be Pm'd something fierce!... or something. I'll probably just be like, "Hey guy, how's about an update?"

Yo Snakes, just PM'd you my map. Several hours late, so hopefully it can still make it in :/. The map is a bit difficult but it is quite beatable. I'm not sure if there will be any playtesting at this stage, but if I get any feedback that reveals changes that could improve the gameplay, I'll gladly make them.

Damn. Missed the deadline.

I kinda want to have this map done but I really don't know how to go about it. I wrote shitloads about my author but I can't really summon up the will to put those notes into practice. It's not even that he has that complex a style.

Any advice, fellow mappers, before I feel like canning my contribution to this project?

I'm still working on mine, deadline or not. I'm determined to finish this. Should be done, come next week.

Oh, it's only now that I discover this project!! Very interesting, I would be kind enough participated there, but I have only little of wad released. Of more my style is very hum... vagueness, I experiment a lot, by inspiring me quite a lot of other works of mappers...

Maybe for a Secret Santa 2 :)

Gah. I've been really busy lately, working a lot, and this slipped my mind. I'll try and get some more done next weekend.

Jimmy91 said:

Any advice, fellow mappers, before I feel like canning my contribution to this project?

Just try your best. Even if you only come up with one room, it's better than nothing.

First off, let me apologize for my sketchiness over the past couple of weeks. I've been visiting family and friends and during that time, have mostly been toying around with a bunch of other projects that are completely unrelated to Doom.

Secondly: If you asked for an extension, congratulations, you're getting one... Again, because I suck. I've received a few maps over the past couple of days and need to look them over, which I'll do my very best to do in the coming week.

Right now, I'll go ahead and propose January 6, 2013 as the next 'deadline' for maps, as I'll have a BOATLOAD of free time near the end of the month and will be able to fully dedicate myself to this project, and Doom in general, once more.

I'll try and get a couple of the submitted maps posted within the week... finally. I know I'm late, and had I known I'd be this distracted by the time the deadline rolled around, would have never even volunteered to lead this project at all.

Jimmy, you have a deadline, so don't you dare give up! :P

Right then... off to actually try and be a leader for a change :/

It's been 7 days since the 'deadline' :P. Looking at how things are, it seems another extension is in order, and maybe some sort of cattle-prod too! :P

I just need to do item placement, and I'm 50-60% done with that. Important structure is done. Should be done by the end of the week.

Well, the good news for you guys is that I'm prone to disappear for a week at a time and neglect stuff like this... mostly because I suck.

In other words, map at your own pace. I've gotta forward stuff and actually get back to Doom in the meantime.

PM'ed you the first version of my map, Snakes. Hope it's up to snuff.

They are supposed to be standalone, right?

Okay, so Snakes is kinda not responding, so I'm curious - where do we stand on this? Who is done and who isn't? Should we start PM'ing testers?

I'm going to start over on mine. I reckon it'll be done in about two months' time... :x

I will just post back here when it's done.

MTrop said:

Okay, so Snakes is kinda not responding, so I'm curious - where do we stand on this? Who is done and who isn't? Should we start PM'ing testers?

I think PMing to the testers directly would simplify things and reduce Snakes' workload. I've only read feedback from j4rio, but that's about it. Wilou said he's finished playing my map and sent it to Snakes. I have yet to receive it though.

Just to reiterate who the testers are:
-st. alfonzo
-grouchbag
-[WH]-Wilou84
-j4rio

And yes, it is supposed to be standalone, but Snakes is the one to post the maps, as to maintain the secrecy regarding the identity of the imitators and 'imitatees'.

Joshy said:

I think PMing to the testers directly would simplify things and reduce Snakes' workload. I've only read feedback from j4rio, but that's about it. Wilou said he's finished playing my map and sent it to Snakes. I have yet to receive it though.

Just to reiterate who the testers are:
-st. alfonzo
-grouchbag
-[WH]-Wilou84
-j4rio

And yes, it is supposed to be standalone, but Snakes is the one to post the maps, as to maintain the secrecy regarding the identity of the imitators and 'imitatees'.

Regarding the first paragraph: This would help me 100 times over. My life's a bit of a mess at the moment and I'm coming to Doomworld infrequently, and even when I do, it's minutes at a time. Hell, I've only opened Doombuilder up once in the past 4 months, and that was last night.

There's some stuff going on that I've prioritized over this project and I don't want to slip through unnoticed. I'm sorry I've been sketchy of late, but I'll be keeping track of everything as close as I can.

Standalone yes.

TESTERS: Please respond/PM me if you're still involved with this. If not, I can just find other testers, so no biggie.

Snakes said:
TESTERS: Please respond/PM me if you're still involved with this.

I'm still here. :)
Don't hesitate to send me the new maps and I'll try to respond as soon as I can.

Yikes, I forgot all about this project recently.

I think I'm going to have to do the sensible thing and stand down from playtesting, considering my current focus on a certain other project... but I would like to playtest the map that has been sent to me via PM not a couple of days ago, so I'll throw together a report for that then call it a day, if that's alright.

Remember to PM the sender back with your evaluation, testers. This thread is more for coordination than feedback.

Just tested another map,and found it delightful.Short and sweet,the perfect amount of monsters,and very good game play.So far all maps I have tested have been fairly good and playable.

I hope it's not too late for me to join. I'm very interested.

Although I have only two finished maps under my belt (that I haven't completely disowned), my own style is still present. let me know if I'm too green to be a part of this. You won't hurt my feelings.

Unheil a Wolf3d map that plays like DOOM
Fester my first map

Now that this thread has resurfaced, I'd like to report that the final version of my map was submitted.

Okay, everyone. The first map is getting posted in the coming week, so keep your eyes open! Pretty much everything sent my way has been, at a bare minimum, solid fun and well-done.

Also, any status updates from you peeps? Like, a word or two?