Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Ribbiks said:

A side effect is that most iwad sprites/textures get mutilated.

Oh, that's a shame, but how so?

(My misunderstanding concerning the Supercharge came from the belief that the water was painted to purple, not the nukage, but now I see.)

So, I had a very bland outdoor area in my duel map that just screamed for some attention.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/screenshotdoom201302042.png/
I also added a little bit of extra detail to the ceiling and a little room (the bit with the door of course). Will work on improving the ceiling later as it still looks quite bland.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/screenshotdoom201302042.png/

Cell said:

Oh, that's a shame, but how so?

anything that ever had green in it now has streaks of purple (you can see it on the pistol in those screens). it's not a big deal, just need to spend the time in slade to recolor stuff, which is real easy anywho. I imagine it's a standard task for any wad with a different palette I'm just too lazy to fix everything at the moment

Well, keep up with the good work! By that time, I'll be supporting Team Purple!

Shadow Hog said:

It's not too hard.

Make a new sky texture, around 256x128 in size, using the Doom palette, and flipped horizontally (assuming that matters any; for clouds and mountains, probably not).

Open up, say, SLADE, and put it into a lump file inbetween P_START and P_END marker lumps with the name "RSKY1". Make sure it's saved in Doom's graphic format.

That should suffice for doing a basic sky replacement. There are more in-depth methods, including multi-patch skies that can be much, much larger than 256x128, but no need to go all-out with that yet, right?

Thanks for the hint, I'll try my best. Took me around 2 hours to insert a graphic into a wad but I finally got it.

Memfis said:

cool, the combination of E1 textures and E4 sky looks interesting

The E4 sky will be the default sky in vanilla but in Zdoom and Eternity I'll be using the E1 sky in this map :P

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I like philnemba maps.

heh thanks :D

Anyway just finished the first map some days ago so 1 down 8 more to go.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1402/chocolatedoom2013020608.png

Philnemba said:

Anyway just finished the first map some days ago so 1 down 8 more to go.

Show me ASAP.

Looks promising with all those wicked color shades.

Mechadon said:

Awesome shots Kore :). Man, I'd really love to play some new Doom 64 maps.

Same here, nice to see some new maps in progress for the PC version. I love the dark, creepy, atmosphere that is being shown in those shots so far.

Playtesting Devilution's Map 29. I think I did quite well with the items/secrets. Got all 1153 monsters too ;] The time there should give an idea how big the penultimate map is, and thats not even counting the millions of deaths! It took me all day. ALL DAY.

And just because its the funniest screenshot ive seen in a long time:

Its not enough to have the seargent steal the spider's kill, the spider then REPEATEDLY stomps on my head..

Kore: I love the lighting! Really great use of the palette Doom64 has to offer.

Ragnor: I don't know how you do it. I cheated my way through the end of Scythe, and even then I had a wicked cramp in my WASD-ing hand by the end of it.

Anyway, I was just finishing up my first entry for the Monochrome Mapping Project and I had a little fun with a missing sidedef.

*Shrug.*

Ragnor said:

2:14:16

Kyka, explain yourself.

EDIT: Schwerpunk, that actually looks pretty cool. I'd like to see how that looks in gameplay though :P

Eris Falling said:

EDIT: Schwerpunk, that actually looks pretty cool. I'd like to see how that looks in gameplay though :P

You'll have to check out my map to see that. ;)

Although the missing sidedef was just a little oddity left over from making a new room - I took it out of the final version.

schwerpunk said:

Ragnor[/b]: I don't know how you do it. I cheated my way through the end of Scythe, and even then I had a wicked cramp in my WASD-ing hand by the end of it.

8+ hours of one map, several breaks (usually when GZDoom crashed), and I still felt like death when I went to bed that night. It was like my entire back was screaming :D

That corridor looks pretty cool btw, all curvy

Just for fun, I decided to port MAP01 and as many of its sprites and textures as possible (no sounds or music, unfortunately) of Doom 64 to the 32X port of Doom:

All things considered, I don't think it turned out too bad, the lack of colored lighting, sector lighting falloff, masked textures, proper sprite scale, and proper color palette notwithstanding. However, it's a bit easier to judge in motion, so here's a recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2bOXHzIAw

Yeah...! That looked surprisingly playable (and aesthetically pleasing). More than I would've assumed from the description alone.

Great job.

I saw that the other day, neat stuff. :)

I think it'd benefit from somehow recoloring the textures -- Doom 64's texture set really wasn't designed to work without colored lighting, so without it you get the "beige everywhere" look.