Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Reisal

Move over burgers, it's lasagna now!

Horsemeat lasagna recalled in Sweden

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Frozen-food company Findus is recalling beef lasagna meals in Sweden after tests confirmed the products contained horsemeat.

The move follows a similar recall earlier this week in Britain amid a widening scandal surrounding the use of horsemeat and the mislabeling of meat products in Europe.

It's not Tesco but it's still horsemeat!

Was never a fan of Findus ready meals anyway. I could make a better lasagné out of my own arsemeat.

DooMAD said:

Was never a fan of Findus ready meals anyway. I could make a better lasagné out of my own arsemeat.

But then how would you sit down to enjoy it?

:P

Hellbent said:

I do like lasagne. But I also like horses. :-/

And now you can like your lasagne while liking horses! It's a win-win situation!

I bet Swedes would just STFU and munch it down if it was mislabeled reindeer meat....

Maes said:

I bet Swedes would just STFU and munch it down if it was mislabeled reindeer meat....

Well, this isn't Sweden.. err... wait....

Nomad said:

TL;DR version: What people should be outraged about is that they're not getting what they paid for, not that it's horse meat. There's nothing wrong with horse meat. Quit being bitches about it.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day, and that's the conclusion we came to. It's an affront to trades description laws, but not the making of a horror story.

Yeah, I don't care that it's meat from horses. The problem is that if the packaging says "made from good quality beef meat without any prion in it, we swear" and it turns out that it also contains horse meat, then what else does it contain? How can we trust that their beef isn't rotten, infested with salmonella, contaminated with prions, full of dioxin, adulterated with sewerage, used by the mafia as a body disposal system, and so on?

Yep, soylent green, pink slime, horses, and animals fed genetically modified corn that grows its own bug poison- that's what meat is. Raid, the other white meat.

Glue is made of horses, or at least was at some point. Did you ever eat any of that as a child like ralph wiggum?

The "contains something else than what's printed on the tin" argument falls flat on its face when you stop to consider that horse meat is considered more prestigious, more gourmet and it's actually more expensive to buy (in places where it's not culturally banned, that is, so even if you like it it's not as if you could eat it everyday).

It's a case of a "positive mistake", so to speak. Risk management and process/cost optimization students are often given this as a classic problem to solve: a canning factory making both canning mackerel and canned salmon, has a certain chance of misclassifying either type of fish as the other, and the challenge is to tune/bias the classifying procedure so that most canning errors will be on the "positive" side (salmon mislabelled as mackerel, rather than opposite).

The rationale is that a customer finding a more prestigious/expensive product by mistake, will probably cause less legal costs/grievances (or even not complain at all) compared to someone actually paying for the most expensive one and getting the cheap one instead, so it's better to have more "good" mistakes than "bad" ones (assuming that it's not possible to make no mistakes at all).

Maes said:

The "contains something else than what's printed on the tin" argument falls flat on its face when you stop to consider that horse meat is considered more prestigious, more gourmet and it's actually more expensive to buy (in places where it's not culturally banned, that is, so even if you like it it's not as if you could eat it everyday).

It doesn't really though. Imagine, if you will, you go into a car dealership to buy a Ford Focus. It's got 5-seats, it's relatively quick and quite economical. You pay your money and get given your key. It's for a Ford GT. Suddenly you've got something much more expensive, much faster and a lot more prestigious. It isn't what you went in for, it's not the thing you expected (for one thing, how is your family of 4 going to fit into it?) and more importantly it's not what you thought you were buying, even if you paid the price you were expecting to.

Yes, the horse meat doesn't inconvenience you or represent a long-term investment (and it can't be resold or traded after use), but it's the same basic argument. You bought one thing, got given something that's more prestigious/expensive instead and you're not happy about it.

Phobus said:

for one thing, how is your family of 4 going to fit into it?

Fuck them, daddy looking cool is more important :-D

Phobus said:

You bought one thing, got given something that's more prestigious/expensive instead and you're not happy about it.

Well, there are even people who'd complain about a bag of gold being too heavy, soo there.

Maes said:

Well. thjey asked some people on the streets and they were mostly in unison. As long as it's labled in the ingredients what kind of meat it is, they didn't care if it was horse or beef.

kristus said:

As long as it's labled in the ingredients what kind of meat it is, they didn't care if it was horse or beef.

Interesting. Not even if it was mislabeled reindeer meat (which, I understand, is viewed as a delicacy, and I suppose it's not really as cheap as beef)?

Maes said:

The "contains something else than what's printed on the tin" argument falls flat on its face when you stop to consider that horse meat is considered more prestigious, more gourmet and it's actually more expensive to buy

Not in this case it wasn't; which is why the subcontractor used it to adulterate the beef.

Also no matter how much "better" what you get is from what you bought, the "not what's printed on the tin" point remains critical. Brioche is better than cornbread, but if you're allergic and your gluten-free bread turns out to contain wheat, that it tasted better will not be what you care the most about.

It's a trust issue. If 30% of their beef contains horse then who can trust them to know what else is in their food? Prions? E. coli? Narcotics? There are tolerances you plan for in food factories and these products are way off. These products also seem to be mostly prepared stuff with other ingredients. It may be the case that they just taste worse, not because horse is bad (it isn't), but because the recipes were designed for beef.

Maes said:

Horse meat is cheaper than beef.

Maes said:

Well, there are even people who'd complain about a bag of gold being too heavy, soo there.

Too right, it also has a metallic aftertaste. I'd rather have a portion of DooMAD's lasagné.

Maes said:

It's a case of a "positive mistake", so to speak.

Maybe in parts of the world where horse meat is considered a delicacy. Phobus' Ford GT analogy is perhaps a bad example because everyone everywhere appreciates it's worth (it's also easier and lucrative to sell the car if you really don't want it, unlike a second-hand meat product). Personally I have no qualms with eating dead equines, but I can't speak for the whole nation; the stuffy people of Britain just don't look at horse meat in the same way that other cultures do.

Avoozl said:

This is why you should make homemade lasagna. :P

QFT.

Lasagna is so simple to make that even I can master it without fucking something up.

j4rio said:

Horse meat is cheaper than beef.

Yes and no. Horses aren't intensively bred in the same way as chicken and cattle even in countries where they are regularly eaten (e.g. Italy) and so a great deal of "edible horses" are actually former racetrack, hobby or work horses. A wholesale auction price for an entire slaughter horse is about 500-600 Euros, but the meat itself usually is priced halfway between the best pork and the best beef cuts (about 15-16 Eur/kg).

And actually, in Italy consumers get pissed off over the reverse error (so-called "equine" meat really being made by mixing beef, pork and chicken). So I guess those playing the "broken trust" card have a point in either case *footmouth*

Edit: an important thing to note is that in all cases (Tesco burgers + lasagna + false Auchan horse meat) the meat was in ground form (burgers, lasagna filling, etc.) which is very easy to falsify, and perhaps, since only the lower-end meats end up ground anyway, the cheapening out scenario makes sense. But there's no fucking way a 1st class equine fillet would be used as filler for beef patties.

GreyGhost said:

Too right, it also has a metallic aftertaste. I'd rather have a portion of DooMAD's lasagné.

If there's enough demand I could go into business. The only issue would be finding a sustainable supply of arsemeat. Is breeding humans for slaughter legal yet? I'm sure no one will have a problem with it, as long as it's correctly labelled and doesn't contain any horsemeat.

In this case the horse meat could possibly contain animal drugs that were illegal in Sweden. Since they couldn't know where the horse meat came from (and indeed weren't even told that it was horse meat), they also couldn't know that it was supposed to be used for food.