Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remembert

Origwad demos [-complevel 3]

DSDA page

I already posted this in the Skulltag forums (as Creaphis), where I post far more often, but I'd like to throw this here too.

I've never been interested in speedrunning before - in fact, I've never recorded a demo before today. But, since I'm giving this a try, I might as well start my career at the beginning: the very first player-made level.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11
You'll need Doom.wad to play it, and I had to rename it from origwad.pwd to origwad.wad.

This is a meatier challenge than you might think, while definitely remaining possible. In fact, it's like Hell Revealed with six monsters. UV Max requires well-controlled infighting or non-berserk baron boxing, and you'll most likely need both.

After a respectable, but not obsessive, number of tries, I managed to do this with a time of 1:32 on ZDoom, but that wasn't recorded. After another number of tries, I recorded a time of 1:42 with Skulltag.exe. I wish I could share it, but when I play it back it desyncs instantly! I tried playing it on Zdoom; then my movements stay in sync, but monsters move differently. I might try to record this on another engine another day.

I'm not a Doom god by any means. Who out there is bored enough to top this?

Edited by Maribo

1:32 sounds like a pretty good time to me. Vrooomer did a maxdemo on this map many years ago, it can be found at the Doomed SDA. I'll take a look at it, too, perhaps, now that you sparked my interest. :-)

Also, what is this doing outside of Demos?

Is this really the oldest PWAD? Man, thanks alot that you reminded it as I would perhaps never known about this awesome map :-) I also tried the max and recorded 1:31 on my 1st exit after a few tries. But well 1sec improvement is a lame so I will try it harder. IMO at least 1:20-25 should be done here.
btw. remembert, pls use some latest version of prboom for recording and sharing the demos :-)
EDIT: Did 1:22 :-) I think I will upload this.
EDIT2: 1:18 (enough ... damn addictive map :-)

Hehe, funny, I tried it out a little last night and got a max run in 1:30. No need to upload it now, since Gusta's already soundly beaten it.

However, I also did an optimal UV speedrun in 0:02. I know it's optimal because I also did a built -nomonsters run which clocked in at exactly 0:02.00. :-)

You can get a monster glide from imp so maybe it is still not optimal :-) Perhaps 0:01 built time with monsters could be possible ??? In normal play I doubt.

And a shotgun boost from the sergeant, so I would view a nomo 0:02.00 (even if perfectly constructed) as convincing evidence that 0:02 is not optimal for UV Speed.

Hm, interesting, didn't think of that (as usual). If you think 0:01 in normal play can be done, please go for it. ;-P

BTW, I uploaded my 1:30 max run anyway, if anyone wants to see it, it's here.

EDIT: I've also decided to let you scrutinze my built 0:02.00 run in the hope that you somehow find a way to get 0:01.97. :-)

Nice max Kristian, never saw a mad punching from you :-)
I don't think 0:01 could be done in normal game, but a built run with monsters ... who knows? I don't have any experience with building the demos.

Kristian Ronge said:

EDIT: I've also decided to let you scrutinze my built 0:02.00 run in the hope that you somehow find a way to get 0:01.97. :-)

Just replace last MB50 SR50 tic with MB25 SR25 and it's 1.97...

Uhh, are these TAS demos? That's what "x" in the filename usually means.
Also thanks to Gusta and Kristian. :)

Pacifist in 0:02.31. Sorry for bumping.

orig-231.zip

EDIT: I should've posted this in miscellaneous demos, very sorry!

Oh, man! Just when I did well too.

Pacifist in 2.26: orig-226.zip  

Same time as you, heh. :)

+ bonus UV speed in 2.23: orig-223.zip

I think I accidentally shot that Imp.

17 minutes ago, JonaG said:

All-in!

Pacifist in 2.11

origp211.zip

And nomo in 2.06

origo206.zip

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuccccckkk. I can't do better than that, I'm done lol. GG!

10 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuccccckkk. I can't do better than that, I'm done lol. GG!

It really was fun, GG!

On 2/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, JonaG said:

Pacifist in 2.11

origp211.zip

I tried nomo briefly, 2.06 seems easy, so 2.03 seems doable? Definitely with good quickstart. 1.97 would be interesting challenge, with good quickstart, provided 2.03 is reasonable, it seems within reach. I had one pretty good run that still didn't reach 2.03, though, so not sure how reasonable it is.

origp209.zip