Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Processingcontrol said:

Probably a GZDoom problem. Have you tried switching to the Doom (strict) compatibility mode?

Well, I couldn't get the key in normal ZDoom either. Just clipped my way through in the end.

I have found a small glitch in the MAP21 cluster text. One line is slightly clipping out of the screen ("hoping").

MAPINFO final rev. (8 KB)

This MAPINFO update is hopefully the last one. If you release any further updates of the WAD, maybe you can include this.

Processingcontrol said:

Probably a GZDoom problem. Have you tried switching to the Doom (strict) compatibility mode?

I did and that did the trick. I was able to finally shoot the switch and get the blue key.

Thanks for the help. :D

Descriptions for the textfile, using the same format as AV:

Author : Eli Cohen
Aliases : ProcessingControl
Email Address : elic90@gmail.com
Webpage : None
Contributions : Map17, Map28, & Map31
Other files by me : The Central Core, Cave-Room, Castle of Fear, DoomHero85's Speedmap Session 001 (Map02), 32in24-11: Occupy Doomworld (Map37), Doom The Way id Did (E3M8), Urban Fire, Community Chest 4 (Map14), 32in24-12: IRON MAPPER (Map26), & Slaughterfest 2012 (Map33)
Comments : T'was a fun megawad to map for and playtest

Map17
Level name : Antidote
Author(s) : Eli "ProcessingControl" Cohen
Editor(s) used : Doom Builder 2
Bugs : A few seg overflows, but they aren't very noticable
Inspiration : Jim Flynn's maps
Authors comments : I started planning this map once I joined the Interception team, but work didn't really start moving until I began playing some of Jim Flynn's wads. I was impressed at his style of blending realistic and abstract architecture, inspiring me to create something similar. Two months of work went by, and soon I completed this hellish hospital. I think I achieved my goal successfully: many of the areas are clearly hospital-ish but the architecture still remains very doom-ish. I also I think I did good job on the gameplay; unlike most of the levels I had made before this, I created the layout at the same time as I did the monster placement, allowing me to experiment with how the structure of rooms affected the gameplay. However probably my favorite aspect of the map is the layout -- notice how you can traverse the path to and from the red key in two different directions, each with different effects on the gameplay.

Map28
Level name : Amongst the Ash
Bugs : Not really a bug, but players using(G)ZDoom (and possibly other source ports) must switch on vanilla Doom compatibility settings to get the blue key.
Inspiration : E4 & AV Map27-29
Authors comments : My best Doom map as of yet. It has creative traps, beautiful architecture, and a switch puzzle that'll surely drive some players crazy. What more could you want. :)
The whole thing took nearly a year to complete. I originally intended it be a short (heh) romp trough a small E4-style castle, and I started it right after finishing Map31. I got about half of the yellow key wing done before taking a break to work for TNT2, and then another one to work on Map17. By the time I returned there was only about a month left till the project's deadline. This was a few weeks after I completed AV, and the awesomeness of it's last few levels certainly influenced the work I did revamping the old parts of the map and finishing the yellow key wing. However, by the time I completed that chunk of the map I only had 2 days left until the deadline. Without enough time to create something entirely new, I decided to hellify an unfinished Doom The Way id Did submission that was lying around on my hard drive.

Map31
Level name : Degravitation
Bugs : None known
Inspiration : Stole the concept from Icarus
Authors comments : My first Interception map. It's not nearly as good as my other two, tough I guess I'm pretty satisfied with the one-week build time, which is ultra fast by my standards. The theme's the level's main attraction, though in retrospect I think I could have handled it a lot better. For example the main cavern could definitely use some more height variation. In Icarus Map20, not only did the concept have better execution, but it was radically extended. Still, there are a few things here that hopefully make playing it worthwhile. I don't think the idea for the secret exit has ever been done before...

An update for MAP11 and I think I'll follow the text file information as well:

Author : Michael Jan Krizik
Aliases : valkiriforce
Email Address : krizik777(at)yahoo(dot)com
Webpage : Check deviantArt / YouTube for valkiriforce
Contributions : MAP06, MAP11, MAP18, MAP23 (w/C30N9), MAP32
Other files by me : Doom Core, Reverie, Eternally Yours, Doom II Unleashed MAP13 & MAP30, Plutonia Revisited MAP22, TNT2 MAP07 MAP11 MAP31 MAP32, October MAP04 MAP05, two maps for Back to Saturn X.
Comments : Really enjoyed making these maps. This is probably one of the better projects I've taken part in. I'm glad we got a good team together working on some classic-style levels. I'm very sad to hear of phobosdeimos1's passing away. I remember talking with him through private messages. He would ask for advice on level design and I would be as descriptive as I could on my view of designing a level. RIP phobosdeimos1.

MAP06
Level name : Dangerous Curves
Author(s) : Michael Jan Krizik (valkiriforce)
Bugs : None that I know about.
Inspiration : Jens Nielsen maps
Author's comments : I'm very satisfied with this one. The detail may not be as good as I like, but I wanted to make a level that had a clever progression involved (hidden lifts/switches/teleports/etc). I think finding the secrets on this map can be really rewarding.

MAP11
Level name : The Ocean Outpost
Bugs : None that I know of.
Inspiration : The Master Levels / Eternal Doom
Author's comments : This was originally made to be part of a map set I was working on where I was planning to make Doom II-style levels in a large setting like Eternal Doom. Anyway, I did away with that idea and made it part of this map set. Not much story behind this, just wanted a non-linear stage with an option of exiting with at least two keys.

MAP18
Level name : City of Burning Sulfur
Bugs : None
Inspiration : Memento Mori II / Jim Flynn
Author's comments : I remember Matt534Dog talking about an underground city-theme for episode 2. I was thinking a little bit about how I did that with Doom Core MAP13, but otherwise I've never played an underground city type level before. So there was a lot of just trying to come up with my own ideas on how that would look. The somewhat hellish-type areas with red rocks and bricks were a little more inspired from Memento Mori II, however. The southern marble building on the other hand was something more Jim Flynn-inspired. There was originally a 3D bridge crossing over from the red building to the marble building just northeast from the starting point, but I was told to remove it in favor of multiplayer not breaking the effect. So I added rocky platforms to replace the 3D bridge.

MAP23
Level name : Bloody Castle
Author(s) : C30N9 / Michael Jan Krizik (valkiriforce)
Inspiration : Ultimate Doom episode 4 / Plutonia Experiment
Author's comments : C30N9 started this map by making the starting area and everything that leads to the red key. He was about to scrap it until I expressed interest in a collaborative effort. I did the area leading to the blue key as well as the last area you teleport to in the map. I made some edits to the areas that were previously established. I added the monster closets in the hallway to the red key, added the lift at the start. Added windows to the left and right of the yellow key room, two platforms northwest and northeast of the yellow key room that hold the Cacodemons. Added the red key switch north from the yellow key room. Added the yellow key bars leading to the teleport. Added the marble face south of the yellow key room. Slightly edited the function of the red key lift, and I think I added the torches in the red key hallway as well. He did some monster / item placement mostly leading to the red key room, but otherwise I did all the other monster / item placement from there.

MAP32
Level name : The Cataclysm
Inspiration : John Romero / Orin Flaharty
Author's comments : This was also intended for that map set that was going to be like Eternal Doom combined with Doom II's theme. This was the second map to MAP11 which was going to be MAP01. Anyway, here it is now appropriately placed as a secret map. I had a lot of fun working on this map; I love the height-level variation going on around this map. Some secrets may be a little tough to find, so keep your eyes out for some of the 'inconsistent' textures (or you could just look at the editor...).

[EDIT] Also C30N9, feel free to add any additional comments / information on MAP23.

[Double Edit] By the way I just reached MAP28 and I seem to be getting a VPO in the red cave with the Arch-Viles. It keeps crashing when I reach that area.

I just found out that there's BFG in Map12, which I honestly think should be removed because it'll mess with the balance of the next 10 or so maps, which I think are BFGless. Not such a big deal if it's integral to the level's gameplay though.

valkiriforce said:

[Double Edit] By the way I just reached MAP28 and I seem to be getting a VPO in the red cave with the Arch-Viles. It keeps crashing when I reach that area.

I just tested that area for VPOs, and I found out that the game crashes when some of the walls are shot at. I have no idea what causes it. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Processingcontrol said:

I just found out that there's BFG in Map12, which I honestly think should be removed because it'll mess with the balance of the next 10 or so maps, which I think are BFGless. Not such a big deal if it's integral to the level's gameplay though.

Having played that map earlier today, I'd say you don't need a BFG for it, but you really want one. Especially for the end cyberdemon and the AV+Baron fight that happens when the BFG first becomes available.

Can anyone give me a hint about how to advance through the beginning of MAP25? Somehow I just don't know how to enter any building there. I am able to get to the outside area (as seen here), but that's it. If I enter the structure seen on that pic...

Spoiler

I am crushed if I push the button inside. Nothing else happens.

I need to know what to do to actually continue past that area. Maybe I am just too stupid to see the obvious, but this rarely happens to me.

NightFright said:

Can anyone give me a hint about how to advance through the beginning of MAP25? Somehow I just don't know how to enter any building there. I am able to get to the outside area (as seen here), but that's it. If I enter the structure seen on that pic...
I am crushed if I push the button inside. Nothing else happens.

Likely a bug in whatever port you're using -- I assume by "the button inside" you mean the skull switch which comes down when you go inside. What it should do is drop the floor underneath you, not crush you, and it does that for me in PrBoom-Plus with or without -complevel 2.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Likely a bug in whatever port you're using -- I assume by "the button inside" you mean the skull switch which comes down when you go inside. What it should do is drop the floor underneath you, not crush you, and it does that for me in PrBoom-Plus with or without -complevel 2.

Interesting, I was just talking about this issue with hawkwind. I figured it must have been a port issue considering I never had a problem with it when I reached that area.

Just some other things I'd like to bring up that are not bugs that I think could use some tweaking; I think the Cyberdemon placement on MAP12 has warranted enough of a change in placement. As it is now, the battle is pretty awkward and can be unfair as stated in the megawad playthrough thread. I was lucky enough to survive the encounter on my first try, but often I had waited for him to teleport into view just to get a few good shots out of him (and he takes long enough to kill as it is).

Personally I was not a fan of the Arch-Vile at the end of MAP14. I worked hard to survive that level only to have my efforts dashed to the rocks. Seems more frustrating than a good challenge.

Anyway, hopefully that MAP28 issue will be resolved soon. I've stopped playing until the issue is resolved.

Then this might be a showstopper bug on MAP25 in (G)ZDoom (latest snapshot releases, ZD r4064+/GZD r1515+).
For me, this room is simply a deathtrap. And I thought it was supposed to be. :D

I am playing with default compatibility settings. I assumed it works with those, and tbh it should. Maybe this can be changed somehow? I bet more people are affected by this...

Actually, it might have been a bug in ZDoom, introduced in r4053 and fixed in r4125+r4129.

Try again in GZDoom 1.7.01 / r1526.

Oh by the way - I haven't been keeping up with the thread so I don't know if this has been already mentioned - but I didn't make map28's music track, as it says in the text file and the first post of this thread.

stewboy said:

Oh by the way - I haven't been keeping up with the thread so I don't know if this has been already mentioned - but I didn't make map28's music track, as it says in the text file and the first post of this thread.

Like Matt534Dog, it's the same midi as Map31. You're still welcome to make a new one for it though :)

Ah, I must have been using an old version of the wad, since it was using map16's music when I tried it before.

Here's the fixed version of Map28. Both the crash problem and another game-breaking design oversight near the end have been fixed.

The problem stems from the original fake 3D floors at the start being replaced by new extremely hacky ones that didn't work in zenode (not sure if I or Pottus did that). BSP had to be used instead, and since BSP sucks, things screwed up.

on map27 there was a coop bug so I made a fix
map28 needs more player starts for multiplayer

thx to Ronald for organising coop session where I noticed this

and maps 17 and 24 seem to be broken in ZDaemon. I don't know why but we couldn't finish them.

Bug report map 32: the teleporter just right of the start in the first cavern, sector 17, has a sidedef with a strange back upper texture set (SP_HOT1) which is visible if you turn towards the starting ledge on the right stairs.

Kristian Ronge said:

Bug report map 32: the teleporter just right of the start in the first cavern, sector 17, has a sidedef with a strange back upper texture set (SP_HOT1) which is visible if you turn towards the starting ledge on the right stairs.

Ah, thanks for that. Just removed that texture. Will post some updates in a little bit.

[EDIT] Updated versions of a few maps. MAP18 now has an especially vital change in the Cyberdemon battle that should make things interesting.

MAP11: http://www.mediafire.com/?vkdu0yh7t9621fr
MAP18: http://www.mediafire.com/?q1991lpwq3lcq4s
MAP32: http://www.mediafire.com/?zs297pp7z7rs2e9

[Double Edit] Slightly updated MAP18 to fix a particular difficulty curve.

According to the feedbacks of " The DWmegawad club plays ", I go surement to bring some rectifications :

- Remove archevile's popup, in front of the exit.

- Make certains secrets more accessible (see removing it because useless).

- Remove some revenants near the bersek.

- Annd to improve the fight with the spidermastermind in front of the key.

I also played maps with no problem at all... And arrived in my map14, I found that the beginning is very difficult, and finally, the map seemed frustrating :P I go so relieved the beginning... And try to make a savable map on Chocolate-Doom :/