Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pavera

Screw Daikatana -- System Shock 2 out on GOG.com tomorrow!

I have no idea where my copy of SS2 has gone. Same goes for the SS1.
But this indeed is awesome news. Now I just need dough. :(

Gez said:

Kinda weird SS1 isn't part of the deal, though.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Stephen Kick mentions in the interview that the rights are still in a complicated tangle though, so that could have something to do with it.

It's not from the same studio and publisher. (Not entierly anyway)

EDIT: I might buy this when it comes. I don't have a DVD reader anymore and it would be nice to be supporting this game again. Definitely one of the best games ever made.

kristus said:

It's not from the same studio and publisher.

Looking Glass Studios was the developer of both System Shocks. Irrational Games were former LGS employees.

About publishers, Origin was acquired by EA, and finally, Origin was disbanded in 2004.

Irrational was started by some former LGS people. That's not the same. In fact. They worked in tandem with LGS on it, but there were a fair bit of friction between the teams causing people to leave.

Origin was indeed owned by EA. Which is why EA owned the rights to the SS franchise. But they didn't own LGS. Which is who made the game, and probably owned that.

I'm a big Thief fan and I know those games really well. As a result, SS2 can have me momentarily confused whenever it plays one of the sound effects that I know so well from Thief. The two games have quite a lot of sounds in common.

But, yeah, SS2 is a great game. Pretty hard as I recall but I haven't played it for a few years.

i hope the GOG version is compatible with whatever the latest iteration of the Rebirth highpoly pack is. that addon is a must have.

Ha! I was going to make a thread when I got home from work today! Envying the hell out of the people who about to get to play this game for the first time.

Enjay said:

I'm a big Thief fan and I know those games really well. As a result, SS2 can have me momentarily confused whenever it plays one of the sound effects that I know so well from Thief. The two games have quite a lot of sounds in common.

Not just sounds...
My cUp RUNith OooOOOOvERRRRRRRR

The game has been patched to work with Windows NT 5.1 (XP) and greater, which makes me wonder; does this patch affect the game play at all or is it like Chocolate Doom compared to Vanilla Doom?

It's been patched to work with XP? It already did work with XP. Anyway, I will be getting this as soon as I got some income again. Already own it, but it's nice to have the updated version and having it on GOG would make it more convenient for me since I no longer got any DVD drive.

kristus said:

It's been patched to work with XP? It already did work with XP.

Archy said:

...and greater[.]

kristus said:

It's been patched to work with XP? It already did work with XP. Anyway, I will be getting this as soon as I got some income again. Already own it, but it's nice to have the updated version and having it on GOG would make it more convenient for me since I no longer got any DVD drive.

It worked on XP with arduous patching to the original. Or if you, ahem, downloaded it the right way. Out of the box it worked poorly, and especially poorly with dual core or any sort of hyperthreading processors. That, and no support for widescreen formats, would make this game pretty unplayable without serious work for any modern computer user.

The only way I got this game running perfectly stably, especially on multiplayer, was running a Windows 98 machine. Pentium 2, Voodoo 2, it ran like a dream. Otherwise I was subject to occasional crashes, or quite frequent ones on a network game. I do hope this version has updated the coop support a bit, but I'm not holding my breath, and haven't heard any word yet.

Yeah, SS2 was the first time I had to fiddle with a game to get it to run on a multi-core system. I also had a funny issue in Vista where the sound would crash it. Turns out I had to use the "disable all enhancements" button in the Windows sound settings even though none of them were turned on individually. Took me two days to figure that one out. That tweak fixed a lot of strange application crashes for people on Vista in 2007.

It's nice to see SS2 getting some more exposure. I know a lot of people who've never heard of it, and it's an awesome game.

kristus said:

Never had those issues.

SS2 and Thief:The Dark Project/Thief:The Metal Age were notoriously difficult to get working on XP... or not. A lot of it seemed to be down to luck and the specifics of individual systems. There are threads on the TTLG forums dedicated to the many possible problems and fixes.

Thief:TMA has got a community related fix that you run, point it at your source CD and it installs and fixes things for you. It worked brilliantly for me. There was talk of something similar being produced for Thief:TDP but I'm not sure if it was ever done. I currently have both Thief Dark Engine games installed on Win7 64 bit. I know that I did some messing around with them when I installed them but it was a long time ago and I forget the details. Both currently play just fine for me.