Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Everytime I look at this thread, I want to do some levels myself...

Well, I've been experimenting with some different kind of graphics style. Something simple/abstract that doesn't require much effort on drawing the textures on the models. Basically, every color change in the texture is also modelled. The level textures probably need some changes too, maybe less noise?

Now I have this little player character with 2 weapons modelled. Also the bandolier/pack can be used as a pickup item. Maybe some parts have too much shine effect on them... Not animated them yet.

Thanks Mech - I've always wanted to do a 'Shores of Hell on Bath-Salts' themed SP map. Finally getting around to it.

schwerpunk said:

Ed: Whoa, I can already feel my comp lagging. o_o

I like the mix of classic techbase, and the newer cosmetic slopes all around outpost-base vibe (kind of a Quake II techbase feel, I guess).

Also, Hell above is a nice change.

Making sure this ditty works with zdoom/software mode. Runs like a champ. This will be a nice substitute for anyone that couldn't play Putrefier due to comp limitations.

scalliano said:

So bluish-purple, reddish-purple, and fuchsia.

Gotta say, I love bluish-purple. A very soothing color to look at. Admittedly probably not as much in the context of Doom, but still!

I wonder how these look in SW mode, though.

EDIT: really nice look at the present, mind. Just curious, because all my attempts at subtle colouring are kind of obliterated in any SW-mode port I've ever tried.

Which means I don't usually try, because HW mode isn't sharp enough for me in every other area, visually.

scalliano said:Not sure about the magenta torches, might change those. [/B]

Well in my opinion they just don't seem to give off that hellish or evil vibe, they seem more like something arcane like, but it's your decision if you want it that way or not.

I think tech bases should have tech lamps. I always thought it was weird that Doom2 was filled with torches. They had cool new tech lamps in Doom2, and then they only used them in the first few levels.

The map those shots are from is in the middle of the mod's "E2" phase, where the tech and hell stuff is beginning to come together. So the idea is that they were techlamps, once ;)

@schwerpunk: ToP II is strictly GZDoom only, I'm afraid. Aside from the coloured lighting and nonstandard palettes, there are areas which are completely broken in software mode, particularly towards the end where portals and 3D arcitechture are in full effect. It won't even load with Zandronum.

scalliano said:

@schwerpunk: ToP II is strictly GZDoom only, I'm afraid. Aside from the coloured lighting and nonstandard palettes, there are areas which are completely broken in software mode, particularly towards the end where portals and 3D arcitechture are in full effect. It won't even load with Zandronum.

Thanks for the info. And just a note on that point: While I do prefer SW mode where possible, I'm not against switching to HW for a good WAD. For instance, 'Unloved' was totally worth it.

Not that I'm expecting so much ZDoom trickery from your work, but I can already tell it's going to be worth checking out, even if my precious software banding will be absent. :3

EDIT: Newpage! Rule states I have to post a screenshot, so here's one from a map I'm working on for the Monochrome Project.

BaronOfStuff said:

I get called an idiot for finishing the map when everyone else has died/quit. Kids today...

^_^

Great screenshots everyone! I'll try and contribute something with my gothic map soon.

Does this look OK or are the letters/numbers hard to read? I tried some other colors (red, yellow, blue) but didn't like the outcome at all.

Memfis said:

[img]

Does this look OK or are the letters/numbers hard to read? I tried some other colors (red, yellow, blue) but didn't like the outcome at all.

I can read the letters, and they're not too hard to read. That's also a nice intermission screen there!

I've done about 70% of the biggest and most detailed map I ever made. Not that it's something REALLY big and detailed...

The sexy starting room.

A hallway of some sort.

I'm a secret room addict. And, as you see, these aren't just closets.

Just look at the light!

Not that it's something REALLY big and detailed... but still pretty neat.

Very nice! I can see that this is not the work of a professional mapper (like Eternal or Vader) but who cares; still good!

BaronOfStuff said:

There's not been enough purple stuff in Doom; along with cyan, it's probably the one colour that's noticeably missing from the standard palette.

There is, although only 5 different shades of it.

schwerpunk said:

Not that I'm expecting so much ZDoom trickery from your work, but I can already tell it's going to be worth checking out, even if my precious software banding will be absent. :3

If you really want banding in OpenGL, you can have it, provided your hardware is good enough to use shaders. (And you aren't shy about editing a shader file in gzdoom.pk3.)

Scypek2: Pretty nice sort of plain, grey hallway. The ceiling window beams could be wider, or border around the whole window.

--

Made some monster, and some little adjustment to the player character... now it's less wide. The greyer texture could be used when it's dead if I don't want to use red blood stuff in them, red player would hide his health status if I used blood. I also wonder if they should have eyes, and if I have done too much detail in it? Initially I was thinking the level of detail being more like in that monster now.

Ed Ed Ed, that is way too freakin' awesome. I just love it, how incredibly lifelike and in turn everything else is

Scypek2: Damn, that looks good. Especially the 'hallway of some sort' - it was my wallpaper for a while there. Love the lighting in the last shot, too. I'm a sucker for stencil lighting in general.
Gez: (Re software mode shaders in hardware mode.) I might give it a shot, but unless it's perfect, I'd rather just stick to standard SW mode. Plus I don't mind switching to GZDoom every now and then: helps me justify having it installed.
Jimi: I think that's just enough detail. I certainly wouldn't add any more. Earlier you mentioned that you thought the textures might have too much noise; I don't think so, at least from looking at your screenshots. As a personal preference, I'm not sure how I feel about the texture filtering (either native to the textures (what res are they?), or applied in-game) - it doesn't look crisp enough for my tastes.
Ed: I love that big sharp slope of flesh coming out of the marble. Although looking around the image, I think you might have a little too many differently themed textures in one area. I get that the marble is 'Hell bleeding through' along with the fleshy stuff, but the SW1GARGs on the pillars to the left just seem like a bit much, IMHO...
Obsidian: That matches your avatar somewhat. Is there any scrolling going on in that image? I'm curious to see how it would look in action. The lighting level is perfect - makes me anticipate a punishingly difficult, claustrophobic map.

Some more screenshots from my 2nd pending MMP (shameless plug) entry:

A former human, getting a taste of a force lower than Hell (the light damages players & monsters).

This button is semi-secret, because it's in a damage sector that's easily avoided. I just liked how the shadows looked. It reveals the only health pickup in the entire level. >:)

Another semi-secret. This corridor snakes through a portion of the map, and is difficult to spot from the outside. If the player doesn't go in and pacify the contents, he's likely to be pestered by its contents for some time.

Eris Falling said:

I was contacted by my own fake tag recently

So here is a cross-post from the D2INO thread, the most recent room I added. Contains barons in normal gameplay.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1043/screenshotdoom201302101.png

I like that sinkhole-looking thing. Looks like it would pucker and squelch if the player tread nearby. I can almost hear a certain Fett whimpering from inside its deep chambers.

Your torches bring something to mind re Barons and Knights:
Green torch pairs nicely with Hell Knight.
Red torch pairs nicely with Baron of Hell.
Blue torch does not pair up with any demonic ungulate that I can think of!

schwerpunk said:

Blue torch does not pair up with any demonic ungulate that I can think of!

Blue skull, which the player is going to have to navigate a labyrinth to get to, going to the red and green areas first.
How I wish I was making this in UDMF and with custom textures