Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomCollector

Your greatest achievements

What's your greatest Doom achievements?
Beat the game on Nightmare? Punched a cyberdemon to death?

Basically I'm searching for challenges to try out.

I'm doing a Doomathon and just beat the 100% UV (except E4M1, 100%/100%/100% really doesn't come easy on that one. I also think I missed some secrets and such on the boss levels and maybe some unofficial secrets on others). Next I'm going to play around on some easy difficulties, try pistol-starting some levels, do a nightmare speedrun and try to beat the PARs on as high difficulty as possible and also try to Tyson some levels.

Beat Absolution and HR with the keyboard on UV. Those were also the last major Dooming sessions I did as a pure keyboarder, back in 2004.

They're generally very vague and usually date back to my more active times on Skulltag; being responsible for success on ludicrous Survival servers (when it really looked like a restart was inevitable) is usually what I'd manage, or something similar.

For more recent stuff, I suppose rushing my way through some of the tougher PSX maps on Nightmare! (thanks, Total Conversion!) will have to do. Or just punching my way through MAP01 of No Rest For The Living. Nothing world-beating or jaw-droppingly impressive, just silly little things I challenge myself with when I have time to spare. Or waste, depending on how many attempts it takes.

Edit:
And yes, I have punched a Cyberdemon to death... it's what 'Grosse' was made for.

My achievements so far:

- Many times I played through the levels with only 1% health on UV and from pistol start
- Killed two Cyberdemons with the super shotgun in an open area without cover
- Killed two Barons of hell with only fists without berserk
- Let one Baron kill another Baron with his claw
- Completed Alien Vendetta on UV from pistol start (three times)

Maes said:

Beat Absolution and HR with the keyboard on UV. Those were also the last major Dooming sessions I did as a pure keyboarder, back in 2004.

Did you mean that you played HR on UV with a keyboard without mouse? :o IMPRESSIVE!

DoomK07 said:

Did you mean that you played HR on UV with a keyboard without mouse? :o IMPRESSIVE!

Yup. I was a pure Doom keyboarder until 2004-2005, even though I used mouse + WASD for other FPS. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that Doom could also be played like that.

Is that an achievement that I've beaten quite a lot of Wads despite not using the mouse in Doom at all since I'm Doomin'?! Because I could never get used to it. I have to mention that these weren't "softcore" wads at all.

I'd say my greatest achievement difficulty-wise was beating all Deus Vult maps (except for a collective map05) and all DVII-1 maps (except for Hell's Vendetta which I didn't really like), everything on UV, 100%, pistol-start, no saving.

I'm probably the most proud of beating DV map02 (Torture Chamber) and DVII map21 (The Unholy Cathedral), because they are both long and failure costs a lot of time.

Maes said:

Yup. I was a pure Doom keyboarder until 2004-2005, even though I used mouse + WASD for other FPS. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that Doom could also be played like that.

Same here, except I didn't switch until last year. I KNEW you could use a mouse, but I thought since I keep mouselook turned off it didn't make sense. All of a sudden I'm a lot better at Doom.

My achievements are usually centered around individual events. Surviving fights I don't think I will. I've killed 2 cyberdemons with the SSG, 4 barons with the fist. Those are obvious but what really gives me a boner is when I end up in a tough situation without much health and make it out. After making it out of a closet with 4 revenants and an SSG I had to stop and look at the bodies.

Probably beating PSX Doom on UV at the age of 7.
Scoring 5 on Ralphis' Magical Ice Forts and some castle map on pub in ZDaemon. Bearing in mind 5 was the server's maximum score.
I think those two are really it I have punched a cyberdemon down before but only with berserk.

I managed to get the blue armor from Hectic without dying and exiting the level without using cheats. But that's more like being lucky at using the exit just when the soulsphere crusher stops.. It usually results in getting stuck in the blue armor alcove.

DoomCollector said:

I hate being punched in the thigh so hard I explode.

Well, my greatest achievement is now that I was told of your weak-point. Eheheh.

First time beating SF2011's Map07 UV-Max yesterday without saves, as last year it took me apart so bad. My sense of direction back then was so bad, haha.

Having beaten PL2's MAP11 with pistol start, given only the bare necessities.

I must really suck, the best I could do was beating Plutonia on UV. I still can't beat E4 or most of the megawads on anything higher than HMP.

Jodwin said:

Finished a map that was well over a year in the making.

Well, actually it deserves a mordeth (my longest map progression measures nearly 7 months).

Cell said:

Know better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotWVz0bSrY&
"Corpse wins the day!" :D

HA! Fuck, that's something I wanna do.

Gotta add finishing with 1% and 0% to the list.
I also saw someone killing an imp with an explosive barrel by punching the barrel and then quickly moving away as it burst on E2M2. Probably really easy and all but it looked ballsy.

I hear E4M2 was done in only 6 hours by the way. I think that's spectacular. I think it's absolutely perfect except for telefragging the Cyberdemon. That's a bit cheap IMO.

By the way I know Nightmare is really hard... and Nightmare PAR should be a real party. What about Nightmare 100%? Has anyone done it recently?

Actually, I've once heard of a guy, who was blasted up in the air by an Archvile, thus flying into a teleport that led to the Archvile's place. Kind of revenge, fucker.

Beating E1M1 on Nightmare under 30 seconds on the XBLA version a couple of years ago.