Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

pointless rant on sky transfers and complevels

Isn't it annoying how sky transfers work with -complevel 9 but not with -complevel 2? I'm making a wad with several maps and I want them to have different skies. However, I don't want to play with monsters falling off ledges, annoying weapon switching mechanics (WTF stop changing from shotgun to pistol when I waste all shells but pick up more immediately after that) and other Boom stuff. So now my only option is to edit p_spec.c and compile my own version of Prboom+ that will enable sky transfers in -complevel 2! (and maybe two people in the world will download it just to play my wad as intended)

Memfis said:

(WTF stop changing from shotgun to pistol when I waste all shells but pick up more immediately after that)

this is the only thing that truly annoys me, though I didn't realize that it was specific to cl9. the ledge problems are easy to fix via block-monster lines.

It is strange though that sky transfers aren't allowed in cl2, there might be some specific reason it's disallowed but if it doesn't break anything maybe you could solicit that change be made 'official' in future releases.

Ribbiks said:

It is strange though that sky transfers aren't allowed in cl2, there might be some specific reason it's disallowed

Nothing strange about it. Doom v1.9 doesn't support sky transfers, so neither should -complevel 2.

Does -complevel 2 disable Boom specials in maps that have them, though? If not, why is it making a special exception for sky transfers?

GreyGhost said:

Nothing strange about it. Doom v1.9 doesn't support sky transfers, so neither should -complevel 2.

it's purely aesthetic though, has no effect on demo playback / gameplay afaik

Aesthetic or not, it's still a feature that isn't supported by the vanilla engines, so why should it be when emulating one of those engines?

Xaser said:

Does -complevel 2 disable Boom specials in maps that have them, though? If not, why is it making a special exception for sky transfers?

It appears to disable or break most if not all of the specials in the Boom Edit Example Map and sky transfers are no exception.

The vanilla engine doesn't support GL rendering and high resolution either, thankfully those features are available in prboom+ -cl2.

I suppose the line is drawn at sky transfers being an action special, but nonetheless it seems pretty silly to block such a minor aesthetic change for the sake of consistency while significantly bigger visual overhauls are allowed.

For that matter, sky transfers shouldn't even work in -cl9, should they? Seeing as it's a MBF feature. It doesn't seem to have broken Boom maps so far.

Them being supported in cl9 is a concession to, as they say, "common mapping errors", since there were a bunch of Boom maps (including in the Community Chest series) that used them.

I suppose it could be allowed in cl2 with a special option since it shouldn't affect demo recording or playback.

Memfis said:I'm making a wad with several maps and I want them to have different skies.

How many maps, exactly ?

A gross hack would be to have the first map as MAP01, then giving it the secret exit linedef action and have the second map at MAP31 ( thus using the ep3 sky for it ), and then the third map would be MAP16 with the ep2 sky... Could work with a reduced number of maps. :)

Ribbiks said:

you could solicit that change be made 'official' in future releases.

Yeah that would work if I was Alexander S or Huy Pham. :) IIRC transfers were enabled in -cl 9 per Huy's request.
Wilou: I have at least 5 maps planned, all with different skies...

Anyways, can somebody explain me how to compile prboom+? I managed to compile prboom in Linux a few years ago and it was pretty easy (just run "configure", "make" and all that stuff) but how do I "make" in Windows? (I'm a total noob)

Actually it pretty much bothers me altogether that sky transfers weren't an included line special in doom 1.9 to begin with because in my own mapping I don't find myself using many generalized linedefs or voodoo dolling at all. In fact I feel as though I'm slapping a boom-compatible label on my wads for that feature alone.

Ribbiks said:
It is strange though that sky transfers aren't allowed in cl2, there might be some specific reason it's disallowed but if it doesn't break anything maybe you could solicit that change be made 'official' in future releases.

The reason is because hardly anyone uses Boom itself anymore, so all Boom level sets get played with ports which all support the MBF sky transfer. There weren't any Boom users to say "fuck you" to the proposal. This is not the case with vanilla levels, as Doom (with Doom+ for many limit-raising WADs) and Chocolate Doom are here to stay.