Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

Did you do all that without using mouselook? That is, only using the keyboard? o_o;; Anyway, first one played fine until the end, but the tyson run was desynched, yeah. Fun!

Anyway, Work on my second map is well underway now. I hope you guys like enabling vsync, flashing-light induced seizures, and damage floors without rad suits to protect you! :P

On the up side, I have included healing sectors. The only catch being that they eat up cell ammo, which also fuels your primary weapon on this level. Outside of secrets, these healing sectors will likely be your only means of recuperating health. >:)

I like how it feels so far, but I just want to see how you guys think it plays. Also, I have changed all the scripts to numbers, for compatibility reasons (so give it a whirl, mork!).

[linky-winky to the download] (Recommend UV difficulty - anything below is way too boring. I'll be tweaking this later, of course.)
====================
As an aside, here's my script for the healing sectors. Maybe there's a better way, but I thought it came out alright. Just thought I'd share if anyone wants to incorporate something similar into a map of theirs (doesn't have to be for this project).

//Autodoc script
SCRIPT 6 (void)                
{
    int health = GetActorProperty(0,APROP_HEALTH);

if (CheckInventory ("Cell") > 0 && health < 75)
    {
        Print (s:"Healing...");
        ActivatorSound ("player/male/gibbed",16);
        Sector_SetColor (14,0,255,0);
        Light_Glow (14,255,32,8);
        TakeInventory ("cell",1);
        DamageThing (-1);
        DELAY (8);
            if (CheckInventory ("Cell") > 0 && health < 75)
                Restart;
    }
    if (GetActorProperty (0, APROP_Health) >= 75)
        {
        Print (s:"Bah! You're fine.");
        Light_Glow (14,255,100,32);
    }
    else
    {
        Print (s:"Insufficient funds, please come back with power cells!");
        Light_Glow (14,255,100,32);
    }
}
Oh yeah, and you need to but a "Script Terminate" linedef on the exit of the healing sector, or it'll keep draining until the player runs out of cells, or hits max health.

That's a really cool concept and well executed. Sounds cool when lots of imps are getting hurt at the same time. Could maybe have the appropriate pain sound play depending on which enemy is in the damaging sector, like a damaging cyber could play cyber pain sounds etc. And it played fine in 2.5.0 and 2.6.1 for me.
Yeah, I still use keyboard only and will try to tyson your map again whenever its finished if I remember.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's probably my slickest map so far.

Re pain sounds in SectorDamage sectors, doesn't it do that already? It's not obvious but, for instance, when a Mancubus goes through them it definitely makes the Manc pain sound. Maybe I'll look into getting more recognizable pain sounds playing when I'm putting the finishing touches on...

Also, I'll keep in mind that you might be attempting a Tyson run at some point, so I'll make sure to throw in the odd Former Human here and there for ammo.

Inadvertent bump. Got some more work done. If anyone wants to check it out I'm looking for feedback on the difficulty (currently got HNTR, HMP, and UV about where I think I want them...). I've been playing my own map for so long that I've lost the ability to look at it with fresh eyes, though.

Unnamed - about 60% complete.
Port: ZDoom
Format: UDMF (Uses named scripts, so requires ZDoom 2.6.#.)
iWAD: DOOM2
[download]
Presently it ends shortly after you get the Red Card, and you'll notice the detail and monsters drop pretty drastically. This is, of course, temporary. Anyway, there is an exit, and I tried to throw in a fun fight near it as a way of saying 'thanks' for testing out my map. :)

New pics:
[pic1] [pic2] [pic3] [pic4]

Of course, if someone happens to spot a bug or other mistake somewhere, that's good, too.

Another idea: What if we make another project after it, where we'd modify our maps with normal textures? Just imagine.

schwerpunk said:

Inadvertent bump. Got some more work done. If anyone wants to check it out I'm looking for feedback on the difficulty (currently got HNTR, HMP, and UV about where I think I want them...). I've been playing my own map for so long that I've lost the ability to look at it with fresh eyes, though.

Port: ZDoom
Format: UDMF
iWAD: DOOM2
[download]
Presently it ends shortly after you get the Red Card, and you'll notice the detail and monsters drop pretty drastically. This is, of course, temporary. Anyway, there is an exit, and I tried to throw in a fun fight near it as a way of saying 'thanks' for testing out my map. :)

New pics:
[pic1] [pic2] [pic3] [pic4]

Of course, if someone happens to spot a bug or other mistake somewhere, that's good, too.

I'd test it, but i have problems with my connection atm, so i can't download it.

Another idea: What if we make another project after it, where we'd modify our maps with normal textures? Just imagine.

Control Center image When making my levels I made them with normal textures first and then converted them to monochrome. In fact Support Storage was almost released with blue textures until I saw that CorSair was making his map blue.

Jaws In Space said:

Control Center image When making my levels I made them with normal textures first and then converted them to monochrome. In fact Support Storage was almost released with blue textures until I saw that CorSair was making his map blue.

I see. Just an idea, but it wouldn't be hard to convert them to regular textures.

FractalXX: I like the idea. In fact, we've already got a section in the OP for just these kind of WADs: "Reupholstered Entries" (Scientist is presently the only one with a submission under this header).

P.S. Post more screenshots! I need some inspiration over here - starting to hit a creativity wall.

schwerpunk said:

Yeah, that plays great and is well designed (might have been tricky to balance health/cells but it works). And yeah I guess the monsters already do make appropriate pain sounds.

Go on, i'd like to have a pop at creating a level!! Here's a couple of screenshots, as for the name.... mmmmmmm... Monochromatic Nightmare is what I am going with (so far anyway!!!). I'm trying to keep the textures minimalist as you can see!!!

gggmork: thanks for the test. I'm always worried something is horribly broken somewhere and I just haven't noticed it.

Phendrena said:

Go on, i'd like to have a pop at creating a level!! Here's a couple of screenshots, as for the name.... mmmmmmm... Monochromatic Nightmare is what I am going with (so far anyway!!!). I'm trying to keep the textures minimalist as you can see!!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8482906607_8e74f2ec19_n.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8483998638_4358a15edf_n.jpg

Added to the OP under 'pending.'

Your map looks promising. Textures remind me of Da Werecat's The Primitive, and the prisoner stripes remind me of Scientist's Dada. Haha, I don't mean to say your work is derivative, because the gameplay design looks quite unique.

Can't wait to play this, and don't be afraid to share unfinished entries for us to test (I certainly haven't been shy in this regard).

Here's my FDA. (I don't really do anything exceptional, but it's always good for map diagnostic purposes.) Also, pardon the mlook, as I use GZDoom primarily for playing Hideous Destructor.

I liked it - very atmospheric. A little claustrophobic, and 'snaggy' (got caught on scenery several times). My favourite part was probably the Sergeants walking over that jagged, windowed walkway. Too cool. The labyrinth with the patrolling lost souls was great fun, and tense, too. Although a bit snaggy as well. Also, thank goodness you didn't hide the lines of the third button from the automap in there, or I would've taken about twice as long finding i.

Health and ammo seemed about right on HMP, although could've probably done with a little less ammo.

P.S. the OP has been amended, bringing us to update # 10!

schwerpunk said:

Here's my FDA. (I don't really do anything exceptional, but it's always good for map diagnostic purposes.) Also, pardon the mlook, as I use GZDoom primarily for playing Hideous Destructor.

I liked it - very atmospheric. A little claustrophobic, and 'snaggy' (got caught on scenery several times). My favourite part was probably the Sergeants walking over that jagged, windowed walkway. Too cool. The labyrinth with the patrolling lost souls was great fun, and tense, too. Although a bit snaggy as well. Also, thank goodness you didn't hide the lines of the third button from the automap in there, or I would've taken about twice as long finding i.

Health and ammo seemed about right on HMP, although could've probably done with a little less ammo.

P.S. the OP has been amended, bringing us to update # 10!

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

screenshots

dunno if I'm gonna finish it but here's some shotz

made entirely with flat19, ceil5_1, black, and white

schwerpunk said:

Your map looks promising. Textures remind me of Da Werecat's The Primitive, and the prisoner stripes remind me of Scientist's Dada. Haha, I don't mean to say your work is derivative, because the gameplay design looks quite unique.

Can't wait to play this, and don't be afraid to share unfinished entries for us to test (I certainly haven't been shy in this regard).

I procrastinate, I mess around, and it takes me ages to get anywhere, I map slowly!!! Anywhere, here's a minor sample. Totally unfinished, no details, no a great deal - not much to do tbh. Still comments on the styling are what I am after. so fire away!

ZDOOM - Uses 3D sectors and slopes.

http://sdrv.ms/UIfnwF

Dave

Da Werecat said:

I like it so far. Especially the Soul Sphere moment.

Thanks! I started with your B&W textures and flats and went from there really. Trying to create interesting contrasts and optical tricks. It's probably going to be more of a concept map than a proper map, but we shall see!!!

Dave

phendrena: I thought it was quite clever how the lines at the start are completely verticle, not sure if intentional. But it gives a weird vertigo feeling when you first start out. Cool map, looks like you used multiple textures, but they're all black/white ish (monochrome) and look good and this project has loose unrestrictive requirements so who cares. On the first play I went in the soulsphere room and couldn't warp out or leave. On 2nd play I couldn't ever enter it seemingly. Maybe cuz its unfinished. If I remember the 3d stuff worked in zdoom 2.6.x but not 2.5.x.

FractalXX: Cool map. Feels like a modern first person shooter complete with regenerating enemies and 3d structures. I like the glass wall part. For gzdoom it seems (maybe the title screen could say which maps are for which source ports or something if these are ever put into 1 wad).

gggmork said:

phendrena: I thought it was quite clever how the lines at the start are completely verticle, not sure if intentional. But it gives a weird vertigo feeling when you first start out. Cool map, looks like you used multiple textures, but they're all black/white ish (monochrome) and look good and this project has loose unrestrictive requirements so who cares. On the first play I went in the soulsphere room and couldn't warp out or leave. On 2nd play I couldn't ever enter it seemingly. Maybe cuz its unfinished. If I remember the 3d stuff worked in zdoom 2.6.x but not 2.5.x.

The odd start room wasn't entirely intentional but I left it as it looks confusing until you move! As for the soul sphere, you shouldn't be able to get it as the slope should get too narrow to let you pass. I'll look at that and stick a blocking line in just to be sure as well as making the passage narrower! Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

I also approve of that start room, was amazing.

I really liked the little animated-texture message thing too, don't think I've seen that before.

(empty) said:
I also approve of that start room, was amazing.

I really liked the little animated-texture message thing too, don't think I've seen that before.[/B]

Thank you!! I'm trying to add a little humour along with some jibes aimed at the player :)

gggmork said:

Actually I crouched, and by doing so fit through one time somehow.

I forgot about that!!!
Latest update is available from ::: http://sdrv.ms/135YxeJ :::

You can not get the Soul Sphere (in theory), but go on and try, i've expanded the map some and added a couple of secrets. Best played on UV, but wimpo mode and HmP are available :)

Keep the feedback coming :)

BTW, all updates will posted via the link in this post as it just links to a Skydrive directory.

Dave

Fisk: I hope you do finish it. The screenshot you posted certainly makes good use of two-tone stencil-type lighting (of which I'm a big fan). Two questions: Does it have a name yet, and would you like me to add it to the OP under 'pending?'

Phendrena: Wow...

I can tell this is going to be great when it's done, because it's already a blast as short as it is. You play around with the binary palette so comfortably, as if you've been doing this for ages. Makes me want to do something with Da Werecat's textures, too. :)

1) Like mork said, the view from spawn is really disorienting and made my brain do a somersault as soon as I moved forward. 2) The animated texture 'moment' made me jump! I turned the corner and took the opportunity to grab a sip of my coffee - I should've known better. Great, great moment. Are you planning on using more animated textures?

schwerpunk said:

Phendrena[/b]: Wow...

I can tell this is going to be great when it's done, because it's already a blast as short as it is. You play around with the binary palette so comfortably, as if you've been doing this for ages. Makes me want to do something with Da Werecat's textures, too. :)

1) Like mork said, the view from spawn is really disorienting and made my brain do a somersault as soon as I moved forward. 2) The animated texture 'moment' made me jump! I turned the corner and took the opportunity to grab a sip of my coffee - I should've known better. Great, great moment. Are you planning on using more animated textures?

Thanks for the feedback! I suppose growing up in the 80's and having a ZX Spectrum helps the mono eye! I spend many many hours messing with the Freescape Construction Kit (see Driller & Dark Side for graphical examples).

I do plan on adding more jokes and jibes at the player, the hero, not all of the will spring surprises as, I'm sure you'll agree, it would get predicable.

I have avoided looking at what other people are doing to try and avoid being influenced by others design style. I'm not a great mapper but I enjoy it and this project has made me look more at how I'm structuring the level. Being a minimal colour palette I though right angles would work best, although as you can see there are some arcs and the massive circle at the start.

I'll keep adding and maybe look at more detail as i get to the end of the project.

Dave

Phendrena said:

Oh, did you get both secrets? If you did find them did you also get the chainsaw..........

Hm, I did not...

FractalXX:
Here's my FDA. Played on HMP. I almost bit it a few times, but managed to survive to die in the long, dark corridor. Alone.

Anyway! It was some good, straight-up fun - made me realize why people like these kinds of maps. I enjoyed the design; reminded me of the Baron room at the end of E1. Lost souls seemed a bit glitched. Got some "unknown line" errors, but didn't notice anything amiss. Music was perfect. Played on GZDoom 1.7.0, although seemed to run fine (minus dynamic light, obv) in ZDoom 2.6.1.

Going to update the OP with this entry now, which bring us to update #11! :D

P.S. FractalXX, Jaws in Space, and Membrain are all tied at three entries each. Now taking bets on who'll be the first to five!