Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

How mad has Doom made you?

I yell stuff at the monsters, not always out loud. But I think it's more like roleplaying, and I'm not really mad at them. I just like yelling stuff at them.

BaronOfStuff said:

"You fucking CUNT!!"

My brother always says that when losing/dying in any of his Xbox360 games.

I can get pretty annoyed when maps are badly designed/balanced; i.e., not enough health or armour, and plenty of hitscanners in the open, or an archvile resurrecting a bunch of hitscanners while being surrounded by hordes of spectres and only armed with a shotgun or a chaingun. If I was okay with some of my crappily balanced Speed of Doom maps, imagine how bad the maps must be to piss me off! :P

Naturally my word choices involves the occasional Fs, and Cs, numerous S-words, and plenty of 'ARGHHHHH', heh.

Joshy said:

an archvile resurrecting a bunch of hitscanners while being surrounded by hordes of spectres and only armed with a shotgun or a chaingun.

SLIGE maps are absolutely fucking terrible for repeatedly doing this sort of thing. Even without the Arch-Vile running around undoing all your work, the Wall of Meat just serves no purpose other than absorbing all of your fucking ammo while some pack of bald Chaingunning bastards in the distance spray lead everywhere.

Pirx said:

cuntgunners!

well, i hate when random shit happens. like when monsters, especially pinkies, get in the way, i'm hit by projectiles that weren't even aimed at me, or weak monsters do stupidly high damage because they win the RNG lottery.

the worst offender however is the mouse / keyboard not working properly, i smashed one of these cheap keyboards to bits because it couldn't read several inputs at once and ignored my weapon selection.

Hahahaha, yeah RNG lottery is a swear inducing offense. I certainly can relate to the second part of your post as well. I mostly just swear at the monsters. Sometimes I bang my keyboard or shake my fist in a restraint of rage.

Here recently, I was playing Hell Revealed map 25 on UV, like usual. I got to the part where you're fenced in with the blue skull key and the Hell Knights, Imps, and Chaingunners keep on coming. Of course - wouldn't you know - I died. I didn't - DID NOT - throw my drink at the computer screen.
I did, however, flip it off, with a healthy, hearty FUCK YOU :)

Doom never makes me mad. It's a perfectly balanced game. If i happen to expload myself with a rocket launcher I just mubmle "good at doom", but don't hate the game, hate the playa.

Some maps do make me mad, but instead of smashing things when a revenant / chaingunner trap opens on my ass I get sad. Then I stop being sad and I be awesome instead... and I quit the wad.

If I wanted to waste my time on luck-based gameplay I'd play dice.

Playing coop I make my buddies mad with my kamikaze dive in front of their rockets sometimes. I'm not very coop friendly when there's a cyberdemon around.

The only time I get irritated while playing Doom is when facing a nigh-indestructible, super-powered zDoom boss with a dozen different attacks that all do outrageous amounts of damage.

Only thing I can recall was times when my brother would be winning in games we played against each other back in 1995. But that was nothing compared to the fury I can build up while playing Quake Live in Duel.

A more appropriate thread: How happy has Doom made you? ;) The answer is very.

In all seriousness though, the only thing that makes me even slightly frustrated when Dooming online is my severe Aussie lag. Playing with 400ms against an opponant with 50ms is hardly fair, but you feel incredible if you win said match. If my ping gets too out of control, I just suck up the loss and find another server.

If the person is all like "Heh u r noob i r much bettar" it's a little annoying, but hey, at least I know I'm not the douche bag in that situation.

What about doing a perfect NM run of Doom2 MAP18 and getting to the exit only to realise that you missed the blue key. That is frustrating. But I am a more chilled out person now and I try not to kick walls or swear loudly anymore. But stabbing your monitor with a screwdriver? Banging the table with your fist is the worst I do now.

i can get quite frustrated at Doom from time to time. the most i do is to cheat against the game and rocket slam enemies while saying generic phrases as "you fucking FUCKER" or something similar to get my point across. i might also bang the case and the table, too, if i'm in the mood for that. i don't try to harm anything though like the keyboard or so.

after a series of bad reviews to my wad many years ago I cussed out all of doomworld on both the forums and news. I didn't realize banning was temporary so I didn't come back for a good 3 years I think it was lol

come to think of it I think doom is why I was so angry in my teen years. related music probably helped that out and friends of course weren't the greatest but at the end of the day I took everything out by escaping into the world of doom. It was like the best drug ever, but it made me angrier. could have been music selections such as "Witch Hunt" and "King Kill 33" being added to my own collections as mp3 music replacements but surely I was a pretty pissed off kid for a while and I'm thinking doom helped bring that out of me. Thank you Doom!

there is still a hole in the wall at my parent's house from my head angrily bashing it.

If anything it definetly makes you paranoid when you play it too much.

Usually when I get killed in a bullshit manner I just give the monitor the finger (sometimes on both hands!), say something like "Well fuck you too then!" and quit the game. I think people who smash things are mentally unstable.

Usually swearing and mashing of the keyboard suffice.
Some members of the house I live in do wonder what the hell I'm doing sometimes. Usually this is when I'm demo recording and get killed in a really bullshit manner.

I'm currently trying to get my E1M1-max time to under 1:00.

There are two things that frustrate me in doing this:

1. Finishing the level to find my time is something like 1:03
  2. The sergeants
In both cases, a storm begins to brew in my head.
Maybe I should check the wiki.

I noticed that I got quite annoyed when I was trying to record some demos and killing/finding everything really fast. If something went wrong, even just getting shot once by a zombieman.. restart the demo recording.. bump into the walls a bit.. restart the demo recording... etc..

That also made me think that why would I want to play the game through so fast. I already play it through fast enough. I'd rather have it last longer. So, now I just play it in a casual relaxed pace.

Quick-saving a game as an unseen Imp fireball knocks you into acid is always a laugh.

Actually, now that I recall, I've caused myself injury. I was playing Speed of Doom MAP11 and I was getting my behind handed to me (probably because I'm allergic to saving). On top of this, my laptop's keyboard was being particularly dickish at sending me hurtling into enemy swarms because if I dared to hit two movement keys at once, one of them would "stick" (that is, my lappy simply wouldn't recognise when I'd taken my finger off it - it wasn't that the keys were sticking).

In a frenzy of frustration, I slammed my left hand into the keyboard, smashing the keys with it, as if that would teach my computer a ruddy good lesson and totally not make things worse in any way, no sir-ee Bob. This moment of insanity turned out to do more damage to me than to my keyboard (thankfully). I think I somehow managed to momentarily trap my left hand's middle finger in between two of the keys and then draw a big slice through the skin of the top of my finger as I took it out. I continued playing for about 10 minutes, still in too foul a mood to be aware that I was actually now bleeding on my computer. When I finally noticed, it was at that point that I gave myself a break.

If I'm playing on a Survival server and everything's beginning to go wrong towards the end of long map, I get incredibly irritable. I do the usual cursing, swearing and shouting at the pixellated fuckwads giving me grief, but will also start shouting at anyone who's distracting me for trivial reasons that I wouldn't care about hearing even if I was doing nothing.

I was playing on some server that was set to have players drop weapons when they die with about 18 dumbasses. The idiots were running all over the place and everyone was killing themselves with the rocket launcher. After a few minutes I decided to run directly toward whoever had the RL so I could pick it up when they died because they shot me point blank.a