Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Definitive Genres of Doom levels

schwerpunk said:

I'm almost ashamed to admit that when I first played Doom the zigzag room on E1M1 gave me a hard time. Damn those shotgun shells, teasing me just next to the ledge!

Right there with you. Heh. I used to have to stop at each corner and turn to face the next section of the zigzag in case I got it wrong.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of us who did that. :)

I did this when I was using default controls and moving with the arrow keys. When I played later FPSes, I got pissed off whenever a game had different controls because the devs obviously "didn't have enough sense to use the arrow keys." And I'd laugh and laugh...

Enzo03 said:

I did this when I was using default controls and moving with the arrow keys. When I played later FPSes, I got pissed off whenever a game had different controls because the devs obviously "didn't have enough sense to use the arrow keys." And I'd laugh and laugh...

Ayup! In fact, I didn't bind strafe to anything but Alt until I started playing Quake 2 deathmatch.

Even then, I used Mouse2 for forwards and Z,X, & C for strafe left, backpedal, & strafe right, respectively.

WASD was like a revelation when I finally was introduced to it, even if it did take some getting used to.

===

Anyway, this is getting dangerously off-topic. Re genres, the only categories I use without thinking would be Techbase (E1-like), Hell (like Hell in Doom 2; for instance moudly's 'The Eye' doesn't feel like a Hell map to me), Joke, and Slaughter (very hard, and/or very populated). When discussing WADs with others I usually go by consensus or whatever the creator says it is, though.

• Action, fast paced, slaughter
  • Resource management, slow paced
  • Joke, mock, trollmaps
  • Odd, surreal, concept, experimental, untraditional
  • myfirstmap.wad, first experience with an editor
I don't count "Puzzle/Switchhunt" as a genre, because every map, regardless on if it's action or slow based, serious or joke, can be switchhunts.

I don't either consider "City", "Techbase", "Hell", "Sewers" etc. as genres. It's a theme. And again, every theme can be processed differently, either fast or slow paced, seriously or not.

Myfirstmap.wad, on the other hand, IS a genre in my view. You can see it: All of as started somehow, we still see a lot of people starting (and their efforts), and although every mapper is different, many of the first works have (I'll say it ) some similar specific points, typical for these maps. Right? :)

That's how I feel it.

40oz said:

what qualifies as a sandbox map?

As I see it, a non-linear map in which the player is presented with a variety of objectives accessed through an all-encompassing layout. Free reign, in other words.

For me (ohgoshwhyaretheresomany):

• Slaughtermaps
  • Switch Hunts / mazes
  • Generic Techbases
  • Better Techbases
  • ACS/ZDoom stuff
  • OpenGL
  • Deathmatch/CTF/Multiplayer related
  • Vanilla
  • Cities
  • Jokewads/Infinite Abyss of ravezzzz
  • Size limited (eg, 1024 series)
  • Gothic castles
  • Space

I think there are some distinct styles.

When does each weapon appear?
Which monsters appear and when?
What is the proportion of low- to high-tier monsters?
Can the monsters navigate the map?
What are the "rules" about ambushes?
What is the role of teleporters?
How much resources? What kind?