Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Sinkhole swallows a man in his house

So you've just gone to bed when suddenly the floor opens up and swallows your bed with you in it and your entire room.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fla-sinkhole-swallowed-man-grows-deeper-18635607?page=1

Engineers worked gingerly Saturday morning to find out more about a slowly growing sinkhole that swallowed a Florida man in his bedroom, believing the entire house could eventually succumb to the unstable ground.

Jeff Bush, 37, was in his bedroom Thursday night when the earth opened and took him and everything else in his room. Five other people were in the house but managed to escape unharmed. Bush's brother jumped into the hole to try to help, but he had to be rescued himself by a sheriff's deputy.

continued... http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fla-sinkhole-swallowed-man-grows-deeper-18635607?page=1

GreyGhost said:

Most unfortunate, presumably nothing to do with the Large Hadron Collider.

A miniature black hole... That can be the only explanation! Destroy all science! Praise Allah!

188DarkRevived said:

Just as predicted, the Icon of Sin has opened its portal in the heart of a city... in Florida!

I wouldn't worry. Florida probably already has a century-old law outlawing demonic portals still in use, along with alcohol and ducks with puffy pants.

I just hope the Icon of Sin is prepared to be strapped to a chair naked and repeatedly pepper-sprayed for several hours.

kristus said:

Shitty construction work on that house.

What leads you to believe that? I was under the impression that sinkholes are an unpredictable hazard of living in the shithole that is Florida.

exp(x) said:

What leads you to believe that? I was under the impression that sinkholes are an unpredictable hazard of living in the shithole that is Florida.

Correct. Also, an inspection company came to the property on behalf of the insurance company and inspected the property not too long ago for this very hazard and didn't deem it a high risk for a sinkhole. oops...

exp(x) said:

American houses are like house of cards. They can't build for shit. Just the fact that a hole that is openend in the ground UNDER the house makes the floor fall out is absurd. Who the hell builds houses like that?

Aliotroph? said:

When I saw this story my first thought was "who builds houses with concrete walls?" Is that a climate thing?

People who don't want their house to play-act the opening scene from The Wizard of Oz? Other than sinkholes, Florida is famous for two things: citrus and cyclones.

(Also most houses in Europe are build with concrete too, despite the lack of cyclones.)

Gez said:

People who don't want their house to play-act the opening scene from The Wizard of Oz? Other than sinkholes, Florida is famous for two things: citrus and cyclones.

Florida has more sinkholes than any other state in America. Over 15000 reported.

kristus said:

American houses are like house of cards. They can't build for shit. Just the fact that a hole that is openend in the ground UNDER the house makes the floor fall out is absurd. Who the hell builds houses like that?

The American system built suburbs almost overnight. Which then also fell apart almost overnight.

Csonicgo said:

The American system built suburbs almost overnight. Which then also fell apart almost overnight.

It was those damn darkies moving in.

kristus said:

Think you need to shove it on this one. Unless you're living in some sort shantytown I really haven't ever detected any sort of foundational issue in the average surburban home. Florida is a bit like Pitfall, but mostly just the pitfalls. Ok and the alligators. And the bugs.

kristus said:

The foundation of a building is the most critical part. A house constantly exerts weight on the ground underneath it, so when part of that ground suddenly opens up, that house is in serious trouble, regardless of how well it's built.