Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gggmork

acs scripted maps (map 2: insta architecture, unfinished)

ACS scripted maps for zdoom

map 3:
Traveling salesman caco.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/travelingSalesman.wad
I was playing mega bomberman on genesis and at the end you get coins as fast as you can, which reminded me of the "traveling salesman problem". So I made this where you play as a caco and try to collect berzerks in the fewest number of steps possible. Its like, a sub-average amount of fun, but its.. something and was good coding practice.
type idclev01 for a new random map (make sure all "coins" are gettable on that map though).

map 2:
press spacebar to generate architecture with random heights/textures/lights (kind of fun to play with but unfinished):
http://filesmelt.com/dl/architectureGenerator222.wad

Will probably make it more game-like later. Like have a path inside you can go through and when you reach the end, a new random path appears, etc with enemies maybe.

map 1:
A BRAND NEW map by team gggmork!
For zdoom!

http://filesmelt.com/dl/zdNeighboringSectors.wad

Screenshots:
none!

Features:
* low replay value!
* 23% realistic 3d floors!
* dumbness!
* brand new monsters called demons, wait those are old monsters!
* may or may not even be finished!
* a snake that eats your dumb friend and might get stuck preventing you from completing the map, in which case you have to completely restart (see bullet #1)!
* confusing acs spaghetti code! (what's going on? I don't know or remember!)
* no cacoward nominations!
* something!

That "snake" was pretty awesome. I can't imagine how long it took to code and set it up. I have to say, you bring a breath of fresh air when it comes to Doom mods.

Eris Falling said:

I thought I was going to get eaten. Binky only had 11 foods.

That's a good point and would have made a much better ending. I think somehow make doomguy covered with grease or something, so when it eats you, it spits you out over the exit wall because you taste gross.

I also want to add sounds, like all the gib spawns when he eats could make slurping sounds. Actually I wanted to make a seeming monster ambush actually end up just being a bunch of choreographed dancers which dance to acs coded randomized sound beats using doom sounds. But thing tags etc got confusing which ones have already been used so should make a new wad for that and stuff.

The stair part is an illusion- you just keep going up the same part then when you get to the next "floor" (warp back to the start), the outside window floors/ceilings all lower the appropriate amount so it appears like you went up. Making the variable store which floor you are currently on was tricky, because if you just have a single repeatable walk over line in the "stair loop", you could keep walking forward and reverse over the same line to increment the floor again and again without actually completing a full "loop". So I had THREE walk over lines and the floor only increments/decrements appropriately if you pass those lines in a certain order. Then if you fall down a hole above, all those variables reset and the outside window floors go back down.

For the snake, it'd be much easier if it was a square grid with ordered tags (because to move right you just +1 the x variable etc). But its a more organic tesselation, so I calculated the adjacent sectors per sector, then every time the snake moves, it starts at the tail and each segment moves to the position of the previous segment, then the head moves to a new random segment. But sometimes the snake can wrap in on itself where the head has no possible moves etc, in which case it reverses (it still can get stuck sometimes because I only made sure it had ONE possible move, but that move can sometimes just be a 2 move dead end for both head and tail when it reverses, in which case it keeps quickly reversing forever).

I laughed, I cried; I laughed again.

The stairs were so good I forgot ZDoom can't do that without silent teleports. The window was a nice touch for orienting the player vertically. For the main area, I'm guessing jumping was required? I ended up idclip'ing.

9/10 for the whole wad, 10/10 for Binky.

Ha ha, glad people like it. Yeah, I made you have to jump out of the first room to make it more obvious from that start that jumping is "allowed" since it was required for the exit. Too bad I didn't make binky eat the player, then warp the player "inside" binky, like some flesh textured stomach area or something. I'll probably try to make more dumb acs maps.

gggmork said:

ACS scripted maps for zdoom

map2:
press spacebar to generate architecture with random heights/textures/lights (kind of fun to play with but unfinished):
http://filesmelt.com/dl/architectureGenerator222.wad

Will probably make it more game-like later. Like have a path inside you can go through and when you reach the end, a new random path appears, etc with enemies maybe.

Wow, that's really neat! The feel of the terrain morphing instantly is really nice and tight. Makes me wish there was gameplay to go with this.

Meh, I liked the first one better. The second one doesn't seem to have any applications.

So you thought you could sneak my thread off of page 1, eh?
bump for map 3, traveling salesman caco

what took really long for map 2 was tagging all the lines, especially due to "high byte" vs "low byte" shenanigans

gggmork said:

what took really long for map 2 was tagging all the lines, especially due to "high byte" vs "low byte" shenanigans

You could have used UDMF.

Heh, this new map confused me a bit. At first I tried to move with strafe left/right but that didn't do anything. Then I realized that since you're a keyboarder, you probably programmed it so that you move to the left/right by pressing turn left/right.

What's with the pools of blood appearing when you restart the map? :)

To change the controls on map3, ctrl-f search the acs script for:
bt_left and bt_right
and change with whatever you want on this page:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/GetPlayerInput
(should probably do it)

The moving blood is the "recorded demo" of the fastest route you went, lol.

If you try to move toward the lava, nothing should happen (its impossible to fall in the lava for me on zdoom 2.6.x).

EDIT: nevermind, you can fall off the right side only I think. That's a bug.

How would I feel about changing to UDMF?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Dv56Tddb4

y u no update thread title?

2 and 3 are again cool of course. They've all made me put on my lollerskates. You should make moar. For 2, what about putting items on each sector to collect, and you have to push spacebar to change the architecture until you can collect them all? or do you have something else planned. It's funny seeing this side of your mapping compared to your brutal gameplay maps.

Good idea for 2, I'll try that. It looks better with only 2 random textures instead of 3 I think. I was gonna mostly have that architecture be decorative complexity on the sides of an inner path, which might change to a new path when you get to the end and have enemies or whatever, not sure. Maybe I'll do both. And fix that map3 bug, and the title next time since I forgot.

Eris Falling said:

I thought I was going to get eaten./B]

Yeah. The suggestion of using the food shafts for shortcuts made me suspicious :D and I ended up using stairs.

schwerpunk said:

The stairs were so good I forgot ZDoom can't do that without silent teleports.

since recently, it can.

Both maps are totally great, map2 maze once generated with blue textures only, pretty interesting feel. It was fun to spawn imps inside the architecture and then mock them.