Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
levir

ridiculed for doom

it's old! find a newer game! bwahahahaha

anyone else get shit for still playing doom?

my girlfriend gives me crap all the time about it. I got it in college too. I try to keep it a secret as much as possible now but my girlfriend kind of lives with me. I just say its the only game you can change completely if you wanted to. I'm probably lying and there are more that are more modern but it works for the moment. Plus there's the enhancements and everything. All the mods and games built off of it constantly.

I'm occasionally the butt of a bit of banter between my brothers or friends but no more than any other quirky hobbie someone might have and good natured at the core.

I'm pretty certain they still hold a degree of respect for Doom as most of them played it back in the day.

My fiance is a different story, she's sometimes a bit exasperated by Doom but more because of the amount of my free time I indulge in it rather than the game itself. It's an e-version of the tool shed I suppose :-)

Same old girlfriend,bwahahahaha

time for a new girlfriend methinks (see how she likes that!)

Just go Doom Comic on their ass. RIP AND TEAR!

"They look like cardboard cut-outs!" is one hilarious* thing I am constantly told. I can only reply with something about Doom keeping me entertained for nearly 20 years at no extra cost thanks to all the WADs and mods out there, while he's constantly spunking his money away on every FIFA game released, with even more being spent on each recent game so that he can remain competitive. The fucking fool.

*Not really. Food poisoning is funnier.

They're probably the same people that wouldn't dare watch a black and white film because it's old.

Don't let their shallowness get to you. :)

People are more baffled than anything when I tell them I still play Doom. The confabulation boils down thus:-

"...But it's old."

"So what?"

I never understood the rationale behind this. By the same reasoning, people should not listen to e.g. rock because it's still made by scratching guitars and banging on drums with sticks just like a century ago, and not with iPad-controlled sequencers. Amirite?

The really weird ones are those who actually play video games - those you see on the Internet having a circlejerk about whether video games are art, while at the same time swallowing the purely commercial notion any piece of entertainment should be obsolete within a few months.

I have to admit that I wouldn't sit on my own and play Doom.
For me, the enjoyment always was and still is deathmatch play - but again not playing online but round my pal's house with 3 or 4 PCs linked up - shouting abuse at each other - that's Doom, and it never gets old.

At a time when games like angry birds (a game that looks like it could have been comfortably played on a 1993 computer) and minecraft are so popular I don't think graphics are such a big deal any more. There are tons of modern games that use old-school aesthetics.

If its a question of being ridiculed for enjoying something old, go through her cd and dvd collection and throw away anything that was made before 1993. And if you can't find anything then I think that deserves some ridicule in itself.

My girlfriend has just accepted that it's part of me. But I have managed to get her interested in collecting the reaper miniatures. I think she enjoys collecting those things even more than I do.

I had maybe one friend who thought it was stupid and was like "Aw lol why you play that old shit play CoD it's so much better". Had some other friends who thought it was dumb because age or whatever. I've managed to persuade other said friends into playing it and we've done deathmatch and stuff and interest has been had. So, no one really bugs me with it anymore.

(Though some HS freshman kid saw me playing Pokemon Emerald and responded with "Dude that's so gaaay" pretty much verbatim.)

Surprisingly, no. I can't think of a single friend who has ever once made a negative comment about the game. Then again, I play a lot of the new stuff too, I'm not one of those "everything modern sucks" guys, so maybe that keeps some of the ridicule away.

I'm somewhat befuddled as to why your girlfriend would mind you playing Doom specifically. I mean, it's not like you're obsessing about Doom to an unhealthy degree, right? Would she really rather you play CoD with the frat boys (stereotype, sorry)? I highly doubt that. Also, point out to her that your loyalty to a game you love is a positive sign of fidelity on your part. Doomers don't cheat, heh! We do what (or whom) we like, and we stick to it.

It's not something I usually bring up at parties or anything, but on the occasions where people do find out about my dooming it's been my experience that they find it to be a super cool old school hobby rather than something to be ashamed of. It's a video game, and people play those I think. You'd have to be pretty pea brained to make fun of somebody for it, especially these days.

Computer games very rarely comes up when I talk to people (at least new people who dont already know I`m into Doom), but when it does, and I say I`m into Doom, almost everybody goes like: "Doom! Awesome!".

It`s kinda obvious they havent played it since it came out or something, but they do have fond memories of it and still consider the game cool these days.

The thing about someone complaining about a game because its old...only kids do stuff like that. Or retarded grown-ups.

no, not really. on the last year of junior high i played a flash version of Doom (that triple pack thingy) on breaks, and my classmates were even interested in playing Doom and Heretic on it. prior that, on first year of junior high, i was able to install Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machines, and more importantly, later on i installed Dark Forces II, which a friend asked me if he could play it in school.

i haven't met any opposition about Doom in senior high, either, though i don't really play it in school anymore.

The worst perpetrators of this are these guys.
"That game looks so old! It's bad! I hate it!"
"What about Minecraft?"
"Yeah, but Minecraft is good!"

No, you fat 'tard, Minecraft is popular.

GhostlyDeath said:

In high school my fellow class mates found it cool that I played Doom.

Me too. But then I started secondary school in 1993. I actually met my best pal through Doom.

I tend not to encounter this attitude, but perhaps this is because I'm 31, and the people I interact with don't tend to be 'gamers', and many of them have fond memories of DOOM. For the most part, when someone discovers that I *still* play DOOM, they're intrigued by it, and when I fire it up to show them they tend to be impressed by the speed and the fluidity of the gameplay - to my recollection, no one I've shown it to has mentioned the graphics. Then I tell them that there's still a very active modding community, and that there's new stuff coming out all the time, and they seem to be pleasantly surprised - either that or they're just humouring me. I try to avoid introducing it into conversation though, because if talk turns to DOOM I get an excited, slightly crazed, look in my eyes, which I think it's best not to cultivate.

My partner will be forever baffled by my affection for DOOM, but I think it amuses her more than anything else.

Orangestar said:

The worst perpetrators of this are these guys.
"That game looks so old! It's bad! I hate it!"
"What about Minecraft?"
"Yeah, but Minecraft is good!"

No, you fat 'tard, Minecraft is popular.

Minecraft is good, though. Different strokes.

That said, I don't tend to be turned off by early 3D nearly as easily as some folks, so I never had this predisposition toward Doom or similar titles. Actually, I think Doom still looks pretty good, thanks to its fairly well-thought-out art direction. Higher resolutions help considerably, though.

Shadow Hog said:

Higher resolutions help considerably, though.

After playing with 1280x960 for a few years and then trying out 640x480, I came to the conclusion that Doom looks better in low resolution. Distant walls and floors are less detailed, which gives a lot of depth to all areas, and the texture repetition is less noticeable. I would switch to 320x240 but for some reason it doesn't work in prboom-plus. (?)

I can only recall one incident when someone gave me a hard time for liking Doom, and it was when I was a freshman in high school. I was browsing I think Doomworld or maybe Zdoom, and the kid next to me asks what site I was on, and I told him it was for the game Doom, to which he replies something like "Doom sucks. It sucks it sucks it SUCKS. Halo is like way better." I'm not sure what I said after that but I think I might have asked him why, and I'm sure he had nothing to say worth hearing. Other than that, people either don't tend to care or think it's cool that I still play Doom.

I've never been ridiculed for playing Doom... because I almost never disclose that to anybody in this town. Besides some friends of my parents (ie, older than 25), I only know 1 old-school gamer from college. And he moved out of town to pursue his career 1 year after I met him.

Whenever I hear people talk about video games, it's usually about one of the latest FPS on PC or a current gen console, or criticizing the graphics or simple mechanics of older games. "Like those old games where it's like 2 pixels" "3 punches and they die, that's so gay" "how does touching an enemy kill you?" etc.

My younger brother gives me hell about playing Doom sometimes. He always says, "Y'know, there's loads and loads more games out there to play than Doom. Don't you ever play anything else?" You know, in a brotherly I-want-to-annoy-you sort of way. I go, "Yeah...sometimes."

Usually when I tell people that I still play Doom, they for some reason think I'm talking about Doom 3, and usually their response is "Oh, that's cool."

I almost WISH I'd get that "OMG HOW CAN YOU PLAY SUCH AN OLD SHITTY GAME SGPIOSDJGPIOJG" type of response.

You know, back in the PS2/Xbox days, my friends did talk about how "crappy" doom was. It's funny because all the games they were playing then that were "great graphics" are now basically abandoned while Doom marches on strongly.

As stated, games like Minecraft, and even Borderlands and such have re-opened common gamer's minds to oldschool/colorful/unrealistic graphics, and I'm very thankful for this. in the last 3 years or so, when people see me playing Doom, they usually ask if it's 2 player and if they can play. That's when I dust off Legacy and have a blast through some Co-op maps. Momento Mori is much more fun with a buddy!

Point being, the innovators stand strong, the imitators fall flat. I think Doom will always have new players as long as gaming exists.