Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

1000% kills on MAP16

This is a personal challenge I've been working on in Doom for a few weeks now.

Doom 2
-warp 16
-fast
-respawn
-skill 1

Complete the level with 1000% kills. Kills don't count until after you get the blue key.

The Suburbs has 53 monsters on easy, so naturally that means getting 530 kills. There are enough resources to keep you going for a while. There's a few invulnerabilities, a soulsphere, a megasphere, and some pretty good weapons and enough ammo if you know where to look. There's also a berserk pack.

I tend to take more damage trying to carefully ration out my resources than I do just killing the monsters on a whim. I haven't successfully completed the map with over 1000% kills yet though.

I'd like to see a video of the attempt.. Isn't there just the one vile? Doesn't he ever accidentally get killed?

uhh, first attempt, got something like 800% kills (had to use rerecording to find this out since the HUD only shows 53/53), ran out of ammo, then found some secret but I guess I needed to shoot to open it and I had no bullets, then died.

qoncept said:

I'd like to see a video of the attempt.. Isn't there just the one vile? Doesn't he ever accidentally get killed?

There are no archviles one easy. Just a bunch of imps. The challenge is to play it on Im Too Young to Die with fast monsters and respawning monsters turned on and endure the level until you've reached 530 kills and make a run for the exit.

Many other levels can be played this way too.

How did you know when to exit? Is it possible to make prboom-plus show the percentage?

I used HUD to figure it out. Since 53x10 = 530, all I had to really do was just kill until the magic number came up on the HUD. That way, I knew when I had 1000% kills.

Turn off smart totals. Then it gives you the number of kills and the number of monsters alive. Far more useful in most settings than the smart totals.

Grazza said:

Turn off smart totals. Then it gives you the number of kills and the number of monsters alive. Far more useful in most settings than the smart totals.

Wow, thanks. :)

Memfis said:

uhh, first attempt, got something like 800% kills (had to use rerecording to find this out since the HUD only shows 53/53), ran out of ammo, then found some secret but I guess I needed to shoot to open it and I had no bullets, then died.

Yet another good installment in the Memfis series. I noticed you choked a bit at some parts, and in the earlier half you kept passing up that one clip by the curved brown wall. :P