Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sazza

Pistol Start

Hey guys, just got some questions about pistol starting. For starters, how do most of you guys do it? Like, do you you idclev to each level or do you use a launcher, or some other method?
I guess the main reason of this post however, is that I'm wondering if its possible to pistol start each level consecutively, ie without having to idclev or something similar. So, is this possible? Or would I need to idclev every time?

sazza said:

Hey guys, just got some questions about pistol starting. For starters, how do most of you guys do it? Like, do you you idclev to each level or do you use a launcher, or some other method?

I have a batch file called "R.BAT" with the fallowing code:

@doom2.exe <s -warp %1 -skill %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 -config demo.cfg -record demo -maxdemo 999
So if I type in "R 05 4" I warp to level 5 on skill 4.

sazza said:

I'm wondering if its possible to pistol start each level consecutively, ie without having to idclev or something similar.

In a batch file put this code:

doom2 -warp 01 -skill 4
doom2 -warp 02 -skill 4
doom2 -warp 03 -skill 4
doom2 -warp 04 -skill 4
doom2 -warp 05 -skill 4
doom2 -warp 06 -skill 4
ect
Let me know if you need elaboration.

With some advanced ports you can use scripts to reset your health and inventory each time you enter a level. Phobus did so for ZDoom, just load PistolStartEnforcer.wad along with any other mod you might want to play (or alone if you just want to play the IWAD maps) and there you go.

I use ZDL and its command line to start the game on any level from a pistol start. It won't start following levels from a pistol start, but you can add the PistolStartEnforcer.WAD mentioned above to "External files" along with any other PWADs you may be adding, click launch, and off you go!

In prboom-plus there is a "warp to the next level" button (page down by default) that sends you to the next level, as well as resets your parameters. So maybe you can press it instead of activating the exit.

Memfis said:

So maybe you can press it instead of activating the exit.

But what if the exit switch/portal is fake? Usually it's hard to tell.

Very rarely bother because I find consecutive runs to be an important part of playing a WAD, but if I do any Pistol Start crud it's usually via IDCLEV, unless the mapslot is something unconventional.

Memfis said:

In prboom-plus there is a "warp to the next level" button (page down by default) that sends you to the next level, as well as resets your parameters. So maybe you can press it instead of activating the exit.

There's also a "restart current map" button (added in 2.5.1.2), which you can press once you have entered the level. It gives you a pistol start on the current level - very useful indeed. I think the key binding is "Home" by default.

Eris Falling said:

I use ZDL and its command line to start the game on any level from a pistol start. It won't start following levels from a pistol start, but you can add the PistolStartEnforcer.WAD mentioned above to "External files" along with any other PWADs you may be adding, click launch, and off you go!

I use this as well, it's a very handy launcher but I still haven't figured out the warp numbers for The Ultimate Doom yet. I've only recently (about a few months now) started pistol starting every map. I used to just play through the whole wad using the gathered weapons and my health at what it was etc.

Pistol start for me is through idclev cheat.

I tend to use it almost all the time because I find this way to be much more challenging.

I usually read readme files to make sure I won't ruin any game experience that requires continous run.

If I'm just starting a session, I generally use the command line -warp and -skill functions. If I play more than one map in a session, I generally just IDCLEV to the map I just entered (e.g. I type IDCLEV 04 right after entering map 04 from 03), or occasionally I go and commit suicide somehow if the map I just entered immediately presents me with an entertaining way to do so.

Pistol-start enforcer mods or auto-launchers are fine and dandy ideas, and all, I just generally don't consider using the command line parameters or typing IDCLEV to be enough of an inconvenience to make me feel compelled to use one.

Heh, thanks for the replies. That pistol start enforcer wad was pretty much exactly what I' looking for, but its certainly handy to know the other features in other source ports, in case i decide to use them.

Off Topic: Demon of the Well, is your user name a reference to the band maudlin of the Well? Just curious.

Demon of the Well said:

Nope, although I do know of that band (not really the kind of thing that's up my street, I'm afraid).

ahh damn, well I guess they're not really for everyone, but at least you knew what I was talking about :P

anywho, back on topic, I'll probably start a playthrough of Doom (the Iwads) using that pistol start enforcer wad, right after I finish Back to Saturn X :D

Thanks for replies

In zdoom you can open the console and keybind "nextmap" so that you press a key to go to the next map with nothing but a pistol. Then just skip to the next map after finishing one.