Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

Plutonia Adventure Level Project

This is now a Chocolate Doom compatible project.

The base resource is the Plutonia.wad and the levels will be in a similar style. There are some new textures included.. some are from Afterglow | Doom Textures, some are DoomI/II textures modified by me. Some are just the same, but with "better" alignment. And some might be completely unfitting?

It uses a DEH that have some little changes to weapons and monsters. The shotguns have simpler firing animations like in Doom64. All weapons fire instantly without any delays and most are faster. This I definitely want to use and to have more levels that use it.

The difficulty level could be something like in Plutonia/challenging. Doesn't need to be grind your teeth off difficult, fun is better. They could have semi-slaugther amounts of enemies.

Here's the latest version: 2 levels, teleporter start/exit prefab level, texture resources, DEH and Doom Builder 2 Config:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plutadve_v004.zip

It would also be nice to do this project with others. So if you're interested in this kind of project, try the level. If you can make something similar, then you're welcome to join.

Some more info:

Level Slots/Pics:

Episode 1:
MAP01 - Jimi - Complete? - 01 - Demo
MAP02 - Jimi - Complete? - 01 02 - Demo
MAP03 - DoomK07?
MAP04 -
MAP05 -
MAP06 -
MAP07 -
MAP08 -
MAP09 -
MAP10 -
MAP11 -

Episode 2:
MAP12 -
MAP13 -
MAP14 -
MAP15 -
MAP31 -
MAP32 -
MAP16 -
MAP17 -
MAP18 -
MAP19 -
MAP20 -

Episode 3:
MAP21 -
MAP22 -
MAP23 -
MAP24 -
MAP25 -
MAP26 -
MAP27 -
MAP28 -
MAP29 -

MAP30 -

Notes:
* The final level order can be changed, if some level fits better for some other slot.
* All levels are pistol starts and with "killer" exits.
* Small/Medium sized
* Can have some familiar/homage type areas or a similar theme
* MAP31 and MAP32 could be just regular levels?
* MAP30 could be done so that everyone who gets involved in this project can do some part into it.

The start/exit teleporters are included in a simple level plut_starts.wad, so you can just copy/paste them into your level. There are two versions of it, large and small. The large fits better for outdoor areas and the small for indoors. It's ok to modify it a bit if it would then fit better/etc.. Like it could be merged into a wall, or it could have more pillars/lamps. They don't need to be surrounded by liquid either... It would also be nice to mark the exit with some exit signs...

I'm also thinking that the E2 could have a slightly demonized version of it, and E3 could have a completely demonic version.

Thing Placements:
I think there should be some amount of progression in how to place the things. So that player doesn't immediately get everything, and some monsters start to appear later. Here's what I've thought when some things can start to appear:

Chainsaw: Whenever you want.. may also be used as decorations..
Berserk: Whenever you want.. but maybe not more than once per level?
Shotgun: MAP01
Rocket Launcher: MAP01
Minigun: MAP02
Super Shotgun: MAP04
Plasma Gun: MAP05
BFG: E2, and maybe insert them in 2 stacks?
Backpack: MAP07?

Armor: Green Armor for E1 with one Blue Armor in MAP07. Mixed in E2. More Blue Armor in E3.

Health & Armor bonuses could be inserted in 5 stacks.

There could be an Arch-Vile in every level?
There could be a Soul Sphere in every level?

Don't know yet when Cyberdemons or Spiderdemons should start to appear.

DEH Stuff:

Bullets: Clip 16, Max 400/800
Shells: Clip 4, Max 60/120
Rockets: Clip 2, Max 50/100
Cells: Clip 10, Max 300/600

Fist: 12 tics / 2 attacks.. 2 tic delay before the first attack
Chainsaw: 4 tics / 2 attacks
Pistol: 12 tics.. unlimited ammo
Shotgun: 28 tics
Super Shotgun: 40 tics
Minigun: 6 tics / 2 attacks
Rocket Launcher: 24 tics
Plasma Gun: 5 tics.. 8 damage
BFG: 20 tics.. SSG attack + Projectile.. use 10 cells

Revenants shoot 2 Tracers in their attack that do 4 damage and they will eventually lose the tracking ability.
Arch-Viles shoot the flame for distraction and then shoot 6 Fatshots rapidly. The original attack is no longer used at all.
Fatshots changed to 5 damage.
SS Nazi has been changed to a Stealth Trooper (like the Demon Spectre). So feel free to use it.
Pain Elemental shoots 1 Skull, then 4 Imp fireballs. In death spawn 4 Skulls. Both Pain and Skull have less health than earlier, but otherwise they seem more aggressive.

Some of the bigger monsters could have KeenDie in their deaths, so that player would really need to kill them to get some door open. This hasn't been done yet... And which monsters should include it?

There are also some health changes with enemies.

Some enemies are also a bit taller, so their heads don't go (so much) into ceilings.

Hi! I played the map and well here's my review:

Short but still somewhat challenging map, very good for a start IMO.
I kinda liked the architecture and level design although I think that some less brightness here and there and few more detail here and there would be great. What did I most enjoy? Well the gameplay, sweet traps and enemy encounter, very well action-packed and monster placement!

I love to play plutonia style maps and more, I love to create, can I join? I would be very happy to participate, besides I think that maybe I could learn something from you (and others if there are others too) and you from me (and others if there are others too), may I join this project?

Gave it a quick run with Risen3D. It also supports texture/flat mixing. I was surprised to see that Doomsday now supports this.

I would ramp down the difficulty on medium and easy skill, since I thought that 205 monsters was more than enough for UV with this small(ish) map.

Is the archvile required to jump to secret sector 159 ? If so the player should be rewarded with much more than what is presently given at sectors 159 and 116 IMO.

I'd like to see more.

hawkwind said:

Gave it a quick run with Risen3D. It also supports texture/flat mixing. I was surprised to see that Doomsday now supports this.

Doomsday has supported this for at least five years now...

DoomK07: Thanks. I suppose it could have been longer, maybe if the ending wasn't the start area reused, it would feel longer. But overall, I think the levels should be small/medium sized. That's how I see Plutonia is, small challenging levels. There were a few longer ones, but usually the smaller levels were the more memorable/better.

Allright then. I'll update the first post with some map/status list and some other info stuff. You can then claim some map slot(s).

hawkwind: Probably the monsters will be adjusted on all skills. The DEH disables Arch-Vile jumps, since they no longer use that attack. I replaced it with a mass volley of Mancubus fireballs.

A hint for the secret.. there's something about that green torch.

I may adjust the DEH a bit. Initially it was meant for playing regular levels.. but if there's a lot of monsters, then maybe they don't those little HP increases? Some might even be weaker, like Pain Elementals might become weaker monsters that shoots Imp fireballs, but use the current double PainDie action in the death? I always thought there should have been a flying monster between Cacodemon and Lost Soul...

Jimi said:

hawkwind: A hint for the secret.. there's something about that green torch.

I'm a dill. Even with DB2 I couldn't see that. :/ . Anyway, that line could be flagged secret.

May I start working on map 3?

NOTE:
-For now I'll just claim one map, I don't know if I'll contribute more than one map (I hope so) 'cause I don't know yet if I'm really up to the quality you want for this project.

-I've got huge experience in building maps with good layout, architecture and level design but I think I suck at thing placement, worse I can't make the monsters silent until the player finds them (shooting to a wall alerts all monsters).

QUESTIONS:
-The super-shotgun is still being worked isn't it?
-When I pick up a pair of rockets I just get one, is it suppose to be this way?

-I only know how to work with doom builder 2 (although I like most gzdoom builder), anyway, which format, doom 2, zdoom (doom in doom format) or other?

-I have tendency to make very detailed maps but I don't think it's fair from me if your making simple (few detail) maps and I think that then there would be a huge difference between maps, shall I reduce in detail?

Sure, go ahead.

Some answers:

- If I understood correctly, make the monsters have the Deaf flag, or use 2 sound blocking lines between player and the monsters.

- It usually takes me a few times before I get the thing placement nice. I start placing things as I make the rooms, and playtest often.

- If you only got one rocket, then you probably didn't load the DEH? Can also explain any glitching with the Super Shotgun and some minor glitching with the regular Shotgun.

- About detail, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel gameplay? So, good detail is something that can also add something to the gameplay. But do add some details that are there just for decoration.

- The map format should be just Doom.. but since the textures/flats are allowed to be mixed.. set the "mixtexturesflats" in the config to true. Also if there would be any new textures.. they would all appear in the Textures lump, not in flats... I may have some textures that could fit in a Plutonia style level set...

- I could set up some config files for this project. I have thought that some of the decoration things that are duplicated could be used a bit better.. Like, why have 2 gibbed Player Corpses, the other one could be Gibbed Imp or Commando?

Thanks, now I used the DEH file correctly and everything's now working perfectly!

Well, Gonna start building map03 right now...

Jimi said:The map format should be just Doom..

Really, you mean Doom 1? Well this is for plutonia shouldn't it be Doom 2 format?

Does the start/exit have to be the same (plut_starts.wad) for every map?

With the Doom format I just meant just vanilla line/sector types, but of course in Doom2 MAPxx format...

If by the start/exit being the same you mean like what I did in the first level, then no.. but otherwise I think it would be fitting for Plutonia style levels to have the teleporter structures used in all the level starts/exits. They can be modified some amount, but at least the center piece should be there.

They could change more when the episode changes. So, they would get more demonic looking. Or maybe change gradually in every level?

It could also be ok to use the exit signs at the exit teleporters or in the nearby area.

hey that's neat. a plutonia project with deh :D i would potentially be interested in a map. but you know what happens when tango claims a map slot...

Cool, let me know if you do claim a map slot ;)

I've updated the first post with a new version that includes new textures, new version of the DEH, and a little bit of level 2 with a bunch of pain elementals, so you can see if their behaviour is good or bad. Also includes a Doom Builder 2 Config.

And in case the download link is somehow missed in the first post: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plutmod_v002.zip

Would there be more interest if this was Chocolate Doom compatible?

I was just testing.. The levels so far work fine in Chocolate if I don't use tex/flat mixing. So I might need to duplicate some if they would fit for both walls & flats..

Another change would be that the Pistol can't have unlimited ammo, for some reason it would then use Shotgun Shell Maximum Ammo Amount as the ammo.

And maybe use fewer enemies per area, noticed the first level have so many that some of them became invisible.

Here's some screenshots in Chocolate:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_001.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_002.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_003.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_004.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_005.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_006.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_007.png

Hmm, tempted to do something for this laterish, though I won't claim a mapslot yet. PRCP was a blast to work on, and doing something Plutonia-ish again sounds fun for sure. Maybe I'll make Helix II or somesuch.

To clarify, though, allowing texture/flat mixing restricts the target port to ZDoom and Eternity (...and maybe Doomsday? Can't remember), though that's okay IMO. Just be sure and enumerate this in the textfile.

[EDIT] I guess since you posed it as a question, I'd say keep it limit-removing since that's what the current maps done so far are. Though I mostly say this because taking a quick break from vanilla might be nice for some of us... :P

Jimi said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the proposed DEH changes sorta put me off, too. A Choc-compatible Plutonia-esque level set would tickle my gonads nicely. :)

Jimi said:

I was just testing.. The levels so far work fine in Chocolate if I don't use tex/flat mixing. So I might need to duplicate some if they would fit for both walls & flats..

I was interested but put off working for ZDoom just for wall/flat mixing. If this project can work in vanilla, I would suggest making a texture pack to accomodate your wall/flat mixing and switch it to vanilla. I am focusing on D2TWiD submissions right now but would join this when that project is closed for submissions.

I thought of a name for the project: Plutonia Adventure.
I think someone here on Doomworld has talked about Indiana Jones feeling in Doom levels, and I thought some Plutonia levels felt a bit like that, so I thought to try have that feeling too.

Now all of it is properly Chocolate Doom compatible, textures and flats in the wad. It probably works fine in any other port too.

There's also some changes to the DEH and BFG. The BFG Spray just felt so flaky in it's damage output, that now it's just a rapid fire SSG and high damage projectile. This also made it necessary to do 2 versions of it, due to different ports using the BFGCELLS and ammo a bit differently. If the BFG uses something else than 10 cells, then you may have loaded the wrong DEH...

It has two levels complete now. I thought all levels will be pistol starts, it'll be more interesting with having different weapons in different levels, or at least there's a possibility for doing that. Also don't press the use key when you're going through the exit teleporter.

Anyway.. Download link to the latest version: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plutadve_v004.zip

And some new pics:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_008.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_009.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_010.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/plut_choc_011.png

(I'll update first post later with new info, now I want to sleep)

I think you might run into problems with the spirte limit because of the blood droplets. Try shooting at something with the chaingun - they appear very very quickly.

I'll be happy to help you with this project, I really like plutonia-style maps. so if you want, I can take one of the first five slots.

I like the changes to the monsters so far! If I can figure out how to implement the DEH stuff, I'd love to take a stab at submitting a short, fun entry. I'm imagining a slaughter-ish map, but for babies like me. So somewhere near the beginning, and with lots of imps, to prime players for the more challenging maps later on.

Could you put me down tentatively for MAP04? I'll see what I can do this week.

Hmm, this sounds interesting. Plus I have 2 layouts, I'll send you once I get access to them.