Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Springy

Doom Builder troubles.

Hi guys, I had some time today to start my Go # It map and encountered a rather bizarre problem that's come up before (it happens after copying and pasting a sector or moving the sector onto another one like I did in that shot). I updated my revision of Doom Builder 2 to the latest SVN build and the problem still happens. I've only ever encountered this error before when using Boom before but never vanilla (until now).

I drew the small sector and placed it onto the larger sector which somehow achieved this problem, I even tried scaling the height beforehand and then placing it onto the other sector and it still came up with this (no height difference either). I'm starting to think this maybe a user error as this occurred after a revision update last year and earlier today (even when I update revision again). The last build was official this one, SVN.

Images for reference.
Here's the visual mode shot
Here's vertices mode

Does Map Analysis Mode (the blue tick icon in the bar at the top of the screen) report any issues?

Press M to enter Make Sectors Mode. Click on those sectors one at a time. Does this solve your issue?

It's interesting that in your screenshot every linedef is yellow (i.e. all of them are being selected), which implies to me that there's some overlapping sector shenanigans going on.

My immediate guess is that when you copy-paste/move the sector the sector references on the linedefs have failed to update properly. For example, the line says sector #30 should be on it's back side but it's actually #35 and DB2 is getting confused.

Thank you for the response, I tried make sectors mode and that highlights only the sector I hover over. As for map analysis, that shows up with nothing (apart from the missing side defs of course).

My immediate guess is that when you copy-paste/move the sector the sector references on the linedefs have failed to update properly. For example, the line says sector #30 should be on it's back side but it's actually #35 and DB2 is getting confused.

This sounds about right, how would I go about fixing this update error just out of curiosity?

I've learned to NEVER drag sectors with different heights or other features into other sectors. If this happens to me for whatever reason, I just delete all the linedefs and start over.

Krispy said:

I've learned to NEVER drag sectors with different heights or other features into other sectors. If this happens to me for whatever reason, I just delete all the linedefs and start over.

Yeah, this is never a good idea; however, I have had some success with using 'Edit Selection Mode' (keyboard: "E") to move one sector into another. Although the Make Sector function is usually required after doing this.

Sometimes it is worth the trouble. Sometimes. :/

If this is an unclosed sector, which is my guess from the looks of it, you can change the sector number reference per sidedef to fix the issue pretty quickly. For really simple sectors though, sometimes it is a bit easier to just delete it and redraw it from scratch.

Anyways, you can edit the sector index reference of any given sidedef from the "edit linedef" dialog. Just go to the sidedefs tab, and look for the box labeled "sector index". The lines making up a sector should normally match the sector index (go to sector mode and find the sector number that way). If they don't match, ie. the front and back sidedefs are flipped or it references some sector somewhere else unconnected from the rest of the lines, then you'll get an error. To fix it, just find your sector number, and then change the number in the sector index box to match it (making sure you reference the right side, be it front or back!).

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the tip Mechadon I'll implement that technique when I have a few less assignments to be done. Thanks to everyone else as well.