Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.Gamma

Small maps from A.Gamma!

Hey there everyone! I wanted to share with you some small mapping exercises I like do from time to time.

About the maps:

This is a collection of 6, boom compatible, practice maps I have made on different points; the first one dating from about 2 years ago, while the last one is about 6 months old.
Also it's best if you don't expect pure awesomeness, since as I said they are just small mapping exercises I like to do from time to time so I won't get too rusty.

You may ask, why do I share my mapping exercises?
No particular reason, but it has something to do with me recently upgrading my PC and losing many of them.

So anyway, without anything else to add,here they are!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9TgHAsj1BGtOGVlQ1RXbDZYTjg/edit?usp=sharing

A cool style you have here, man! This gives me a Quakey vibe, the maps are well detailed but by no means over the top. I haven't played through all of them, but the gameplay seems to be fun an balanced, at least on the first 2 maps. I'll play through the rest and give you a more in depth review, but so far these are really cool :)

you sure this is boom-compat? prb+ crashes with the errors:

R_FlatNumForName: NFGSLM04 not found
P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from NFGSLM01 to NFGSLM04

as a guess I'd say maybe you're using an animated wall texture as a flat or something, which would only work in zdoom, etc. Or does this wad require some sort of resource wad?

I played the previous version in zdoom. Nice texture usage, each map is like a patchwork of multiple environments blending together.

here's some fdas if you're into that sort of thing. I died at the end of map03, and very stupidly in the bfg trap of map06.

In general the texturing/music reminded me of uac ultra, and for the most part I found the maps fun to play. Some criticisms / possible improvements:

- I love linedef action 19 more than most people, but the amount of times monsters immediately pop up right in front of your face gets pretty tiring after a couple of maps.
- most traps can be trivialized by just backing out of the room and wailing on hordes of mobs from the doorway, I'd suggest making traps where monsters are revealed behind the player, or traps that briefly lock the player into a certain space (another way to force that is to have ammo situated behind the revealed mobs, so killing from afar is less viable).
- the amount of health/ammo strewn about seems a bit over the top, maybe remove a bit of health on UV to make it a tad more challenging.

Hey guys thanks a lot for the feedback!

@Ribbiks, Memfis: Nice FDAs, had fun watching them.

Ribbiks said:

- I love linedef action 19 more than most people, but the amount of times monsters immediately pop up right in front of your face gets pretty tiring after a couple of maps.
- most traps can be trivialized by just backing out of the room and wailing on hordes of mobs from the doorway, I'd suggest making traps where monsters are revealed behind the player, or traps that briefly lock the player into a certain space (another way to force that is to have ammo situated behind the revealed mobs, so killing from afar is less viable).
- the amount of health/ammo strewn about seems a bit over the top, maybe remove a bit of health on UV to make it a tad more challenging.

Glad that you enjoyed the maps and thanks for the feedback; and as I said in the first post, this is just a collection of exercise maps that I made this past two years, so I doubt I will change much of the gameplay on them (Don't worry though, I agree with you on every point you made, so thanks to you my future maps will hopefully be better :D). Also, while watching your FDAs I noticed a couple of graphical bugs that I somehow missed (and really need fixing).