Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
optimusjamie

Newbie looking to start mapping

I've been playing some very impressive community-made maps, and I was wondering how to start doing it myself. What would the best programs be for making DOOM maps, and what tips would you give to someone who's just starting? I'm looking to make vanilla-compatible maps, if that helps.

Firstly, welcome aboard! Please don't feel overwhelmed by the numerous options available to Doom mappers. Once you've spent a few weeks fooling around with maps, it becomes startlingly intuitive.

Secondly, get yourself Doom Builder 2, and acquaint yourself intimately with the ZDoom Wiki, particularly the Tutorials and Action Specials pages. Later on, you can get into more advanced stuff if you want. But to start off, I do recommend using ZDoom to test you maps, as it will come back with the fewest errors.

Chubzdoomer also has some pretty good video tutorials on YouTube. Watch that and you'll get an understanding of the basics, but be warned that he's using an older version of Doom Builder in that video, so certain features may appear differently.

schwerpunk said:

But to start off, I do recommend using ZDoom to test you maps, as it will come back with the fewest errors.

That's probably quite tempting advice for newbies, but if you really want to learn how to map well, it's best to learn how to make maps without any errors rather than just getting the source port to cover up and forgive inexperienced mistakes. As a bonus, your maps will also get a wider audience, since it'll work correctly on whatever port people prefer to use.

The best advice I can give is don't be overly ambitious with your early maps. Get a feel for the basics first. Then go about creating any grand masterpieces you might have planned.

I would suggest prboom+ and boom map format. It's very simple (you just select an action while in zdoom you set every parameter), but without unnecessary limitations of original vanilla format (128 visplanes (visible floors/ceilings at a time) limit, for example). Simpler format also helps to focus on creating gameplay.

Re gameplay and map layout: Although you shouldn't be afraid to dream big, I'll give you a tip that I wish someone had given me when I started out in mapping: Make all you first maps small. This will allow you to learn a lot more quickly, as each new map will be exploring new ideas and concepts you've discovered / thought up. Start with simple box rooms connected by hallways and doors, with monsters, weapons, and keys thrown in as you learn how to do those. Frequently testing your maps will show you what works and what doesn't.

One of the worst things to do when you're starting off is to take on a big project for yourself. You're likely to run into mapper fatigue if you go down this avenue too soon in your career as a mapping hobbyist.

That all said, everyone processes differently. So if you're learning and having fun, just do what comes naturally. And don't be afraid to share you attempts on this forum. Members here are more welcoming of newbies than most places I've seen on the 'net. :)

Read some helpful docs.

Some good References:
Unofficial Doom Spec by Matthew S. Fell
BOOM reference v1.3 4/12/98
Special FX & WAD Tricks by Mark Glenn
DESIGN12.FAQ by Tom Neff
DOOM METRICS by Scott Ampoker
TEXTURES by Scott Amspoker

which can found at many sites, including http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?dir=docs/

DoomLegacy page of Doom Editing Docs
http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hosted/doom_editing.shtml

I recommend mine:
Level Design patterns for Doom by WDJ
http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hosted/level_design_r3.txt.

Community maps often use the Boom enhancements. Advanced engines, like ZDoom, Edge, and DoomLegacy (and many others) have their own enhancements.
Should stick with Boom for the first two or three maps.
There are tools for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
I am familiar with tools that will run on Linux, but many of those also have windows versions, and some also have Mac versions.
Consider Yadex, Slade, Xwadtools (includes Deutex), zennode, bsp.
You need an level editor like yadex or slade, a nodebuilder like zennode or bsp, maybe a wad builder like deutex, and an appropriate doom engine like DoomLegacy, PrBoom, or Edge (or many others).
Some tools combine these into one program.

Some weird tricks only work with older software renderers.

EDGE also has a great editing guide to get started on mapping and using the various features of the engine itself. All of these features work with 3DGE as well, so take your pick and have fun..

Why is so much of the advice directing to various ports and port-specific documentation, when the OP specifically mentioned he'd prefer to stick to vanilla-compatible mapping in his 2 lines post?

Pick Doom Builder 2. Create a new map. Select "Doom 2" in the Game Configuration drop down menu. Start drawing shapes. That's all there is to it.

If you get stuck, you might want to look up forums or wikis, or check out other maps and try to understand how the effect you're looking for is done.

There is little point in gulping down hours of documentation right away, it's all too abstract until you get some hands-on experience.

Phml said:

Why is so much of the advice directing to various ports and port-specific documentation, when the OP specifically mentioned he'd prefer to stick to vanilla-compatible mapping in his 2 lines post?

Pick Doom Builder 2. Create a new map. Select "Doom 2" in the Game Configuration drop down menu. Start drawing shapes. That's all there is to it.

If you get stuck, you might want to look up forums or wikis, or check out other maps and try to understand how the effect you're looking for is done.

There is little point in gulping down hours of documentation right away, it's all too abstract until you get some hands-on experience.

Pretty much this!

I guess it also depends if you have experience in any kind of mapping too.

I would look at Doom Builder 2's starting tutorials on their website, that will get up and running in no time.

Once you are comfortable, start doing more complicated things, seeking advice or researching into it if you get stuck.

MOST important thing though is HAVE FUN!!!!!

I would recommend keeping everything simple and there is nothing out there more simple (and in my opinion, more powerful) than Doom builder 2.

Learn all that source port stuff later. It will really help you know just how limit removing they are once you know what vanilla is truly capable of.

Edit: Oh yeah, and have fun.

Hmm, as a vanilla mapper, I'd suggest not starting with strict vanilla, but limit-removing, since working around vanilla limits isn't something you'll want to be doing while you're learning.

Boom is generally the nicest starting point available, since you're also not limited by linedef special types (of which there are a few missing in standard Doom 2 configuration). 'Course, this isn't that big of a deal, so if you'd rather stick with DB2's "Doom 2" config and narrow the list of specials down a bit, that's fine.

...Unless, of course, by "vanilla" in the OP you're actually meaning "limit removing but no source port features", in which case go for it. ;)

Xaser said:
...Unless, of course, by "vanilla" in the OP you're actually meaning "limit removing but no source port features", in which case go for it. ;)

Yeah, this is what I meant by vanilla. Limit-removing, but with a similar feel to vanilla maps and without using any source-port exclusive features.
Although now that I think about it, if I make anything really popular, I may make variants of my maps designed for Brutal Doom. Probably getting ahead of myself there, but it's a thought nonetheless.

It probably would be a good idea to start with boom that way if you have areas that go past vanilla limits it won't matter but still would benefit from making vanilla like maps which is the best practice for new and even experienced mappers.