Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

the zennode built into db2 fails if the sidedef count exceeds 32k or so (2^15 maybe?), and map28 is huge so it probably definitely has more than that. But if you run zennode on it's own (from command line or whatever) it will fail to build the blockmaps and etc, but it will make a reject table. So in db I usually save with zdsp (no reject), then zen each wad before releasing it.

Map28 requires ZDoom extended nodes (which PrBoom+ supports) due to being over 65k sidedefs. This is the reason for the weird reject, along with DB2 crashes if you try to save it with another nodebuilder.

To have the option to save with extended nodes in DB2, you can add the following:

zdbsp_extended
{
title = "ZDBSP - Extended nodes";
compiler = "zdbsp";
parameters = "-X -o%FO %FI";
}

in Doom Builder 2/Compilers/Nodebuilders/zdbsp.cfg, below the other three options (but before the closing bracket)

If it doesn't work, search for a post Gez made explaining this better. That's how I got it working in the first place.

I don't really care what is done with it, but for the record making the path to secret exit mandatory in normal play is definitely not something I would have done. This was always intended as an optional area, hence why I made sure not to tag it secret nor stick any monster in it.

Trying to think of something suitable on the spot... If I were to change it, I'd put an archie in sector 697, and make the linedefs "block monster". An extra archie would teleport in that same sector once you reached sector 716 (midpoint through the crushers). Instead of the secret exit linedef there would be a pillar going all the way to the top, with a switch face. The secret exit pit would raise fast as you cross linedef 5006, revealing a cybie. There'd be six cell charge packs scattered in sector 698, two in front of each of the wall detail. Pressing the switch would lower the pillar, revealing an invul sphere. Also, sector 697, 702 and whatever sector that teleporting archie would be before teleporting would be tagged 7 - so they get crushed when the final switch is pressed, so the area stays entirely optional.*

Grain of Salt's idea to make it a normal exit would make sense as well, to exit you'd have the choice to fight that baron horde and archies or immediately duck to the left and try your luck with platforming.

*Edit: but then, this wouldn't be anywhere fast enough to crush them before the IoS explodes. So, uh... All three monsters would be in dummy teleport sectors at first, the first archie popping up as you walk by the first corner, and the cybie as the raising floor gets to floor level; and those teleport sectors would have a bunch of barrels on the sides so they'd die instantly.

Thanks for posting, Phml. Did you want to add those changes yourself? Or at the very least, change the secret exit action to normal exit, if you'd rather not have those other changes as well? It's an epic map. :)

I don't have the time or willpower to do the archie/cyb change properly (as in, playtest and tweak it until it's right and fits well within the final fight). I'm cool with whatever changes anyone makes, even if it's not something I would have went with personally.

The secret exit as mandatory path bugs me a little though, because it goes directly against my intended design as well as my usual design rules. Phml complaining about platforming all the time and then forcing a platform part in his own map... Meh. I'd suggest just wipe my name off the credits for that one but I guess this would be seen as pointless drama even though I truly don't care about being credited. Really, call it ego or whatever, but the idea of having my name tied to something I would consider bad design peeves me more than I'd like any kind of recognition, heh. "Phmlspd Skulltag edition" was a bad experience, as small in scope as it objectively was. :)

Mostly wanted to clarify the extended nodes situation as it's been a recurring issue. Do as you wish.

I suppose changing secret exit line to normal one it is then. At least I doubt anyone is going to bother trying to do anything else serious about it.

So, there's pretty much only map 7 leftover, unless I'm forgetting about something.

E: Also, whoever contributed a map can fill out textfile comments and stuff. Template few pages back.

@Tod
Can you put version C together with all the stuff that got changed/edited? Just in case so there can be noticed any screw-ups that will come to existence from putting the wad together again. :))

After that C will just get miscellaneous GoS stuff and map 7 (which is now hopefully being worked on), plus maybe we can wait until ZD plays second half of wad for possible boom-related bugs washing up.

Hm?

Oh, and plz replace map 25 midi with this cuz current one is too short considering map lenght.

I noticed some possible exploitabilities in map 25, so here's even more final version of it.

Could you re-upload these plz?

here's a link to the midi, I didn't grab the updated map25 wad though so I can't help with that one. Do you recall what changes were made j4?

FINAL VERSION C: SF2012c.zip

+ 34: added soulsphere at start
+ 15: new version
+ 30: new version
+ 05: new version
+ 12: new version
+ 16: new version
+ 13: new version
+ 14: new version
+ 22: new version
+ 25: new version + music
+ 07: new version

to do: untag unreachable secrets in map11
to do: change map28 secret exit action to normal exit

I don't use DB2, so I can't edit map28. It requires DB2 and ZDoom extended nodes.

When single shines the triple sun
Slaughterfest 2012 will be done
By gelfling hand or else by none

dannebubinga said:

map 22 new version? why? :(

edit: map22 now uses unknown flats. METLRV1F is not in the sf2012c.wad file

It's only one edit which is about the 3 key door, it opens up from two other sides of the central building now, that's all. Didn't think it would cause too much trouble and it was a suggestion from someone else on here :/
Oh unless you did a UV Max on the older version :S
Unknown textures/flats. Should have seen that coming haha
Unknown texture "GSTONEG6" and also unknown flat "METFSQ04", both come froom CC4tex.wad Sorry TOD :P

What do you guys think. Should I just reinstate the old version of map22 or keep the new one? I don't want to cause arguments on here.

Just replace the unknown textures to something that will work and re-upload. The 2 new doors is nice since it will speed up the final clean up. IMO

Thanks to everyone for sticking with the project! Ribbiks, yes if you can just change the secret exit line action to a normal exit that would be great. My comp is 13 years old and has trouble with maps over 20k sidedefs in DB1, so I haven't bothered trying DB2 yet. Haven't tried out the status bar wad yet cuz of the filesize, but I'm sure it's nice.

Does someone else want to create the final text file?