Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Do we have an official count?

Last I checked the /idgames database, there were about 12,000 files contained therein. Even though there is a significant amount of graphics mods, gun mods, non-Doom content and DM/CTF/multiplayer collections, I'm sure that the majority of files are single-player maps. Let's also consider that a single file can have 32 levels inside it.

How many Doom levels are there?

I might just take too many drugs, but I swear someone started this exact same thread a few weeks ago.

I think the conclusion we came to is that, for every newbie map from '94 onward that actually made it to the archive, there's probably about 100 or more that didn't. I've released 3 megawads since 2009, and I made at least 40-50 scrapped levels before then.

So, if we're talking an official count of wads that have been released, and actually played by a few others, I'd say at least 100,000 in the last 20 years, probably far more. But the confusing bit is that there's a ton of stand alone maps/obscure map sets that never made it onto /idgames too. If were talking every new .WAD file ever made, even by newbie mappers, It could easily be upward of a million, who knows.

16,517 16,518 16,520 - STOP UPLOADING, DAMMIT!

There's over 14,400 zipped wads plus whatever's inside the 150+ .pk3's and I currently lack the enthusiasm to tally the maps. Adding a "New levels" element to the Archive API could give us an approximate figure, though a lot of early submissions that didn't use the standard textfile template would still need to be counted manually.

Maybe MTrop could write a program that scans all wads/pk3s in specified folders for map lumps and it tells you how many there are? I know a couple people have all of /idgames downloaded on their computer.

off-topic: my doom2 pwad journey is up to November 14, 1997 so far.

TimeOfDeath said:

Maybe MTrop could write a program that scans all wads/pk3s in specified folders for map lumps and it tells you how many there are? I know a couple people have all of /idgames downloaded on their computer.

That would be handy. This is the first utility I used for that purpose, it doesn't scan archives and tends to bomb out if there are more than 512 wads in a directory.

It may sounds a little lame to ask but I was always wondering if there is some kind of a limit to how much wads can be uploaded to the idgame database?

I assmue that everything has a limit.

17,000 records isn't exactly a big database, I think we're more likely to run out of space on the /idgames master server or one of its mirrors first.