Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Doomkid92 said:
Oh man. I claim Entryway as Congo right now! ;)

We need to get this project done, first!

Speaking of which, are you going to adjust the monsters in E3-1M1? Personally I think it would work better if you did.

I am not sure if I am gonna be able to finish my map. I have an hour or so today maybe a little time tomorrow and possibly a little bit next weekend. Sucks having to be all grown up an move house (ill have no Internet at new place so no uploading :sad: ). Ill see what's what tomorrow an maybe upload what I done or give my map slot away e2m5-e4m5

zinkai said:

I have an hour or so today maybe a little time tomorrow and possibly a little bit next weekend.

Damn time restraints! It sucks to hear that man.

Capellan said:

Speaking of which, are you going to adjust the monsters in E3-1M1? Personally I think it would work better if you did.

Yeah, I'm going to get rid of everything you wouldn't see in the real Hangar, than any other changes that seem really necessary, then it should be completed

Ok well done map layout just gotta add things an what not tomorrow and maybe ready for a play test

@Flamen0d: I don't have a due date yet, but I'm thinking of setting one for the end of next month for all the maps to be mostly finished. Heh, if this had been any other project setting the deadline for two months after the starting date would've been considered madness.

@zinkai: Ah, hope you can get the map finished by the time you have to move.

Death Egg: I gotta say, I'm quite surprised at how quickly this megawad has progressed. It seems you really struck a chord.

Somehow my progress seems to keep going well, despite all these finals papers I'm writing. Lately I've been mapping with OpenOffice open - hopping between schoolwork and this, my favourite hobby. Anyway, just a quick update: Here's an in-game map-shot of the completed areas. As you can see it's mostly the optional maze and the last stretch to the exit now.

I considered adding a blue key area with more direct homages to E2M2 between the NUKAGE bridge room and the exit, but I think I've exhausted all of the aesthetically interesting motifs that E2M2 has to offer. I should be done well before the soft deadline.

P.S. Big ups to Fernito for PMing me some quality feedback on a few elements I might have otherwise overlooked.

scifista42 said:

I've found one more bug you didn't fix. And I recommend you not to fix it. Because if you don't fix it, your map might become famous and popular among speedrunners :) The bug is shown in this lmp:

http://speedy.sh/DyRVQ/wooo.lmp

(recorded with Chocolate Doom, works with Prboom-Plus -complevel 3, if you don't know how to play it, learn ;))

It isn't actually a speed demo.

I played the demo back in complevel 3, but I´m pretty sure what happened wasn't supposed to happen. The player never reached the exit and got killed in the stairs leading to the blue door. :p

ShadesMaster said:

E1-3M5.wad - 92.0 Kb

Latest version uploaded! FINALLY! :D

Here's my FDA. Unfortunately, I got lost and hit the demo limit, but most everything up until then was a lot of fun. The map looks GREAT, although I don't know the level it's mimicking by heart so I couldn't say how appropriate the visuals are. It plays nice and tensely on HMP. I found it hit a real sweet spot of challenge and reward. The map is pretty dark, but not incredibly so except when it actually serves as a mechanic (and there are no huge, dark room that I saw, so there's always cover while you inch your way along).

I found one error - this segment of FLOOR6_2 damages the player. It caught me by surprise more than once.

Again: great fun, great atmosphere.

Here's my playthrough of the map on UV. (-complevel 3, also I'm not super good at Doom so excuse my lousy skills) I'd say it's an FDA, but it's not actually my first time playing through, as there was originally another demo where I played through on HMP. However, there was a major bug that makes it impossible to beat on lower difficulties: you forgot to tag the blue skullkey to anything other than UV. (Also, I don't have that demo anymore because I accidentally recorded over it making this demo. :P)

Otherwise, it was a very good Hell map, loved the detailing especially and how you worked teleporters in. I will admit, the secrets were a bit easy to get to, and I mention that because I usually either don't end up finding them all or spend ten minutes roaming the map trying to find where they're at because I'm stupid. But this doesn't really take away from the map itself.

Alright, finally feel done enough to feel good uploading E3M4-as-E2: http://www.speedyshare.com/82gNJ/e3m4-as-e2.wad

Still need to touch up a few areas and work on monster/ammo placement (and difficulty settings), but it's pretty close to done. Appreciate all comments and criticisms!

Screenshots (original on left, new map on right):

Now, time to start working on E3M2-as-E4...

EvilNed said:

I played the demo back in complevel 3, but I´m pretty sure what happened wasn't supposed to happen. The player never reached the exit and got killed in the stairs leading to the blue door. :p

But that's exactly the bug I wanted to show you :D You put the exit line on the wrong place so if you're extremely lucky, you can trigger it! It's even possible to do so without dying. It took me many attempts to achieve it while recording a demo, but I achieved several times :)

EDIT: I will also post some feedback on maps later today, because it seems that the best maps so far have been posted in past days ;)

And I'm looking forward for starting the sequel for this project.

Memfis: Thanks for the tip about -maxdemo! Muuuch better; now I can take my sweet time (and woe be to all who watch my FDAs, lol). :P

Magnusblitz said:

Alright, finally feel done enough to feel good uploading E3M4-as-E2: http://www.speedyshare.com/82gNJ/e3m4-as-e2.wad

Still need to touch up a few areas and work on monster/ammo placement (and difficulty settings), but it's pretty close to done. Appreciate all comments and criticisms!

Screenshots (original on left, new map on right):

http://i.imgur.com/n3Xwkca.jpg

Now, time to start working on E3M2-as-E4...

Gah, I spent way too long wandering around thinking this looks awfully similar to E3M4...

Anyway, halfway through your actual level I realized how little time I have before going to get fitted, so I kinda rushed. Verdict: very good.

FDA

So now I'm going to review the recent new maps:

E1-2M2 by schwerpunk

I think this is the best map so far. Though I'm not very keen on E2M2, I like your map a lot. I found several glitches like non-damaging nukage and non-functional switch that (probably) should have lowered the plasmagun, but in other aspects I can only praise your effort.

Visuals are awesome. I was impressed yet by the starting room, then the dark stairs and areas after them, and the former comp-maze topped it. You succeeded to make places look familiar while giving the E2 vibe to them, and E2 vibe in different way than "ugly-straight-dull". I couldn't imagine it's possible to include so many stairs and height variation while keeping E2 vibe (which was my biggest mistake at making my E2 map, btw).

Although there is berserk and I had used it a lot (I admit, not always), I didn't find myself overequipped with ammo. But I always had enough shells to snipe down imps and lost souls on ledges - I like the balance in this map.

As you have been speaking about adding more direct homages to E2M2 - I don't recommend to do so, I even recommend to make some of the already included homages less obvious. They're the only thing that disturbed me while playing, but only a bit, nothing too important for me. The plasmarifle hall, the startan switch lowering the pillar and the follow-the-ceiling-puzzle felt a bit out of place and forced. On the contrary, you included many areas that aren't E2M2 homages but feel surprisingly E2-natural, and I like these the most. The crate room with high ceiling, dark blind corridors with 4 shells, long and long and empty and empty passageway to the plasma, darkness in the outdoor part. In one word - great.

E1-3M5 by ShadesMaster

You modified the layout quite significantly, but E1M5 is still recognizable. As well as places emulating E3. I like every single room in your map, every one has some idea or looks great. The layout modifications are also appropriate. You can't imagine how much I appreciate that you didn't take too much inspiration in E3M5, since that map is a hell for me, pardon the pun.

Removing the old secrets was a good choice, most of us didn't do so but you did and it resulted very well. The map still "pretends" to be non-linear (after some exploring you find out the truth is a bit different). Plays good anyway.

I've found basically only one bug - in the final room, there is a zombieman and hanging victim inside a wall. You've probably accidentaly moved some verticles but forgot to move things too. The room is cool by the way. Another issue (not a bug, only it feels unnaturally) is that there's a hanging victim in the passageway leading to spiral staircase and the victim should be blocking, otherwise you can inspect his entrails from inside.

To sum up - another great contribution, good job ShadesMaster.

E3-2M4 by Magnusblitz

I can really imagine your map being in E2M4: Deimos Lab's place. You nicely blended the two maps, an oddly-textured atmospheric nonlinear landmark-based one and an unbalanced experimental linear puzzle-based one, into one map - and the result is interesting and believe it or not - I like it! I still have some little complaints however.

First, the secrets. I really liked the way how you hid some of them, you finally gave the right meaning to the word "secret", although at first I was annoyed and thought they're inaccessible. But what I do mind - there are places marked as secret that aren't secret at all (the room if you turn left at start) and vice versa (the room if you turn right). Second thing - crushers. Please make them (those in the corridor) start earlier. If you don't know about them, it's instant death. You may also make the floor-raising switches in the next room repeatable. I always thought it would be a great fix to the bugged House of Pain device, because if you activate the crusher first and press the switch when it's down, you're in a hole, or rather the items are in a hole and unachievable forever. Then I would like to ask you for removing the thing that will make us banned in Germany again and to unify the damage amount you take from liquid floors. That's all from the negative view, and now the positive.

Although I don't like to see inappropriate homages, the homages in your map worked well. Design in your map reminds both originals and also adds something new in just-the-right-amount. Visuals are good, as well as the gameplay. A bit tight but bearable, which raises the motivation to look for secrets. Which are sometimes well hidden and it makes for a challenge and I liked that challenge! Back to visuals, I liked the blinking effects and some of the detail work, like the damaged switch that didn't raise the bars. It's no problem since keys don't count towards your items score. As a whole, your map is very interesting and very fitting to our project, good job too, Magnusblitz!

Okay guys here is my latest update to my E1M3 map. http://www.solidfiles.com/d/5f3b628606/ Very little has changed for the last update, deathmatch in now implemented, all tutti-fruttis should be fixed, the problem with the computer map pillar has been fixed, & the level of damage done by acid floors has been lowered.

Progress on my E3M9 map is coming along slowly, it is my first Hell themed map so I'm taking my time, but I should have a completed version by next weekend.

@walter confalonieri - I played through you updated map and I enjoyed it very much. The detailing is good & I like the acid that now flows through parts of the map that you can fall into if you're not careful.

scifista42 said:

First, the secrets. I really liked the way how you hid some of them, you finally gave the right meaning to the word "secret", although at first I was annoyed and thought they're inaccessible. But what I do mind - there are places marked as secret that aren't secret at all (the room if you turn left at start) and vice versa (the room if you turn right). Second thing - crushers. Please make them (those in the corridor) start earlier. If you don't know about them, it's instant death. You may also make the floor-raising switches in the next room repeatable. I always thought it would be a great fix to the bugged House of Pain device, because if you activate the crusher first and press the switch when it's down, you're in a hole, or rather the items are in a hole and unachievable forever. Then I would like to ask you for removing the thing that will make us banned in Germany again and to unify the damage amount you take from liquid floors. That's all from the negative view, and now the positive.

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.

1. Regarding the secrets, for the rooms at the start, I kept the secrets tagged the same way they are in E3M4 - though I agree it's weird that the teleporter room is a secret and the closet isn't. I don't really mind switching them if people think it makes sense.

2. I was wondering about that, I used the same "works once" trigger because I wasn't sure if using the repeatable one would break it. In Zdoom you can hit the switch over again if it doesn't raise all the way, but I noticed in Vanilla it only works if you never set the crusher off.

3. Thanks for the comment on the swastika, I actually meant to ask about that specifically. I was thinking it might be too corny but forgot about the banned-in-Germany thing. Even Romero changed it in E1M4. I'll change it in the next version for sure.

Jaws In Space said:

@walter confalonieri - I played through you updated map and I enjoyed it very much. The detailing is good & I like the acid that now flows through parts of the map that you can fall into if you're not careful.

thanks!

The latest updates look pretty gorgeous, especially the E2 E3M4.

@Jawsinspace

Nice map, lots of things here are recognizable. However, I think you should make the area where you get the computer map skied (sky texture in the ceiling), and put some nuclear around it.

Second, the gray textures at the beginning looks a lot more like E2 than E1, plus the blue computer textures in the middle room.

Also, some rooms look a little empty, try adding dead things as decoration.

traversd said:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56320770/td_E2-4M1.zip

-Reduced monster count further (more in line with E2M1)
-Revised red-key teleport trap
-Moved blue armour secret
-Made red cross a wall, not a pass-thru

This is (hopefully) the final update for my submission (barring any fixes/suggestions).

Really good, traversd. I played on HMP and while the challenge didn't feel very intense, it's just right for an E2 intro. Just the right length, too. Health and ammo hit the right sweet spot, although at first I thought you might be giving me too many shells, but it was perfect. Will definitely give it another run on UV, now that I know what to expect.

I love how you play with linedefs, especially around corners. You seem to always give them a little twist, add an angle, or straighten them out before merging with walls, archways, etc.: It gives the world a nice chunky feeling (here's one poor example, but if you guys have played the level you know what I mean). The pillars here are what I'm talking about, how you give them an edge before blending into side of the blood pool. It's a little touch, but it makes the world seem more concrete. Height variation and windows everywhere was probably the most E2M1-ish part of this map imho, although you exaggerated it to great effect.

I liked the dark, mysterious alcoves as well (is there a way in there? Either way, it adds tremendously to the feel of the level - very unique.

I played in ZDoom, because I thought I might be idclev'ing wrong; but anyway, I'm glad I did because I got to see this beautiful textured automap. I mean look at this thing. Just wow. Great economy of lines.

P.S. Speaking of this area, I might suggest changing the ceiling texture above the rocket launcher, as it's a bit weird looking at first blush. The corners seem too pointy to be bricks. Although perhaps your intention was to draw the player's eye to that pillar anyway. I think it just looks strange with the brown ceiling, and might be better achieved by adding a flickering light or something?

Doomkid92 said:
Yeah, I'm going to get rid of everything you wouldn't see in the real Hangar, than any other changes that seem really necessary, then it should be completed

Cool. As soon as you have a finished version, I'll start work on E3-2M9, using your level as the base.

schwerpunk said:

I liked the dark, mysterious alcoves as well (is there a way in there?

Nah, in E4M1 it is a monster pen that the player can't see into. This is kinda the same but I thought a black room where the player can see the teleport fog would be cool.

schwerpunk said:

P.S. Speaking of this area, I might suggest changing the ceiling texture above the rocket launcher, as it's a bit weird looking at first blush. The corners seem too pointy to be bricks. Although perhaps your intention was to draw the player's eye to that pillar anyway. I think it just looks strange with the brown ceiling, and might be better achieved by adding a flickering light or something?

I think you are referring to the tan/orange ceiling flat? Yeh it was more a what feels ok kind of decision (mainly based on colour) but your pic highlights that in the darker setting it kind of ends up being a flat shade instead of textured. I'll try some other options and see how we go. The plasmagun on the pillar top is kinda of hidden in plain sight (ok not really). Aside from the teleporting caco, I'm trying to draw the players eyes everywhere else *L*
EDIT: now I understand what you mean. I'll square it up a bit and see how it looks.

Thx for the feedback comments :) yes I took "angles" as a notable aspect of E2M1 (or at least odd shapes). In the end I think I've over-cooked it a bit for a authenticate id style, but hopefully that is only apparent when you look at the automap.

I figure I should bring up a few things about this project that should be addressed now that we're beginning to near completion of most of the maps:

1. First off, I would like to ask any of the creative graphics artists out there if they could come up with a fitting title screen for Switcheroom! (Exclamation point included) Maybe, for example, have Doomguy in Phobos on the title screen instead of Hell, and the logo that says Swticheroom! has the blue tech part of the logo on the bottom and the brick looking part on the top.

2. If you want to name your map something other than the original name, let me know. Or alternatively, clarify if you want to just use the name of the new map slot for the different map instead of the old map slots name.

3. I want to bring up the topic of custom music. I originally wasn't thinking of adding any custom music, but Memfis's map has a new track (Which also happens to replace E2M5's track) so I figure I should bring this topic up. If there is a new soundtrack composed, I will have it in a separate file so people can choose if they want it or not.

Death Egg said:

I figure I should bring up a few things about this project that should be addressed now that we're beginning to near completion of most of the maps:

1. First off, I would like to ask any of the creative graphics artists out there if they could come up with a fitting title screen for Switcheroom! (Exclamation point included) Maybe, for example, have Doomguy in Phobos on the title screen instead of Hell, and the logo that says Swticheroom! has the blue tech part of the logo on the bottom and the brick looking part on the top.

2. If you want to name your map something other than the original name, let me know. Or alternatively, clarify if you want to just use the name of the new map slot for the different map instead of the old map slots name.

3. I want to bring up the topic of custom music. I originally wasn't thinking of adding any custom music, but Memfis's map has a new track (Which also happens to replace E2M5's track) so I figure I should bring this topic up. If there is a new soundtrack composed, I will have it in a separate file so people can choose if they want it or not.

If we manage to get a good artist, it would be nice too if he/she can somehow modify the intermission screens so every level looks like the level it is being replaced with (did that make any sense?).