Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Hey there, Doomers and DMR participants. I'm sad to announce that due to some fairly serious life changing events - nothing very negative, I'm happy to say - I won't be able to do things like this for quite some time. I will not be able to continue managing the DMR project, and I was hoping to get a few participants to come together and make
this project something better than it ever would have been anyway.

DMR at Zandronum: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2344&pid=29472#pid29472

I'm sorry to announce this with such little pre-notice, I have got a further improved and developed version of DMR here, with accompanying text file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nt9cannkl7itexc/DMR_Files.rar

I urge the participants to elect new project manager(s) make a new thread for this project, if you wish to do so. The amount of effort that has been put into this, and the potential these maps have would be a very shameful loss. There is a lot of unique and fun material here, that is a certainty.

I wish you all luck with this, A deathmatch version of CChest has always been a goal of mine since I found out about community projects as a wee one. I hope to see it fufilled at some point when my life becomes more well balanced again - And thank you all so much for participating in this. I've had a ton of fun.

:)

Hey Doomers! Another new DMR beta is ready, fresh out of the editor! (June 10th)

DOWNLOAD VERSION 0.9B:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/59yfbvc1z520t85/DMR_v9b.zip

A lot of updates, enough to set a release date at July 4th!

-Credits map built! I went the simple "Names scrolling in lights" route, no picking of favorites or little icons or anything. I think this works best anyway.

-Texture issues begone! Aside from the VERY rare stray flat, every texture issue is resolved and all maps are totally cross compatable. It took plenty of time, but this is a great step!

-Details added. Map 16 (Deathmatch Prison) was very bare, and has had a lot of love shown to it. I think it's looking pretty slick. Map 24 (Splatter House) is an awesome map but it suffers from some serious textures issues. A few other maps could stand a bit more detail too.

-Some MIDI's changed. Some repetitive MIDI's were swapped and other requests have been met. If you want me to change your song, just send the new file my way and I'll put it right in.

Long short, here's where we stand: Another run through of beta testing: Looking for any remaining glitches, and detailing the very few remaining sparse areas. Any texture alignments should be pointed out too - We want the maps to have that nice 'finished' look to them.

Keep it up, fellas!

DMR on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkXnz9TpVsc

HAPPY FRAGGING!

Only a few hours and we already have a small crew together between the forums, this is great. Mionic, you've been penciled in!

I'll join if you'd like, though I'm new to mapping. If you think the map I make is shit just don't put it in. lol

Flamen0d said:

I'll join if you'd like, though I'm new to mapping. If you think the map I make is shit just don't put it in. lol

You're on the list for now anyway - if you end up choosing to back out later on, that's fine too. This is why I'm not assigning map slots til the very end :)

I'll offer assistance to anyone who needs/wants it for detail or gameplay so their map won't stand apart from the rest, so don't be afraid to submit your stuff. A tip - If you think it looks bland compared to other fun DM maps (UDM, Exec, etc.) try to spice things up a bit with texture variation. Find what you like and let it inspire you!

More mappers added to the list!

And to avoid any confusion - These are not specifically duel maps, but if you choose to submit one, that's still fine. I want to make sure these maps are varied, and part of that is size. Just make sure that at least 4 marines can squeeze in there for FFA if the really want to.

Regarding textures, just try and stick with the Doom 2 standards. Maybe one or two customs is okay, but keep it minimal if you can. This is supposed to have a bit of a classic flare, after all.

At this moment there's no deadline but try and give me a rough design at least by April. Also, don't forget about screenshots :) All in all this is coming together well - I'm pleased!

My only worry with saying it should be DOS-compatable is turning away mappers who like using Zdoom features.. Personally I always map 'vanilla limit removing' style, Doom format. If by chance everyone else's maps are in Doom format as well, it could end up working, but I'm sort of doubting that ;)

Dos DM is still untouchable though, DOS is what I grew up with!

bobvorn and StarKiller have already given me some rough layouts of their maps, and I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far - I'm surprised at how fast that was!

There's no rush - make sure you have time to add in whatever you'd like to your maps layout to help gameplay. Also, remember that this should be compatable with Zdaemon, Odamex, Zdoom and Zandroum, so more Doomers are able to join in the fun.

I will make some maps for this
I don't have any DM maps released but I can assure you I know what I'm doing you will get good shit

nub_hat said:

I will make some maps for this
I don't have any DM maps released but I can assure you I know what I'm doing you will get good shit

Alrighty, I trust you :D Tor-Bjorn, dachauncinator and nub_hat are now added to the roster.

I'd like to join. I have one deathmatch map at 90% completion and another that I had in the works (sketched).

Alrighty Joe, you're on the roster too. I've played your maps before and relly enjoyed them, looking forward to see what you've got in the works!

Thanks Walter :)

I've been working on a new map which is a sort of e1m1-map01 mix-up, but with new secrets and stuff added in as well.

If you guys want to post screens of your progress, feel free!

http://i.imgur.com/TAI0XQm.png

I have a map that is pretty much completed. It's intended to be Vanilla compatible just because I felt like trying to do it, though the drawsegs number gets dangerously high in some places.

Since the pack is aimed for ZDaemon/Odamex/Zandronum players, though, it's no big deal.

Basically I'm saying.. I want in :)

Oh, and the lame item spawns are going to be changed up because I have bad taste in Doom II weapon balance.

if anyone wants a map of theirs prettified i would be more than happy to apply some mindless detail :p

So, waaaaay back in late 90's I made a few maps for my school friends and I dial-up duel on. I presume they're all vanilla compatible, since we were playing with the original exe. They're really nothing special - looking back at them now, they're not very imaginative - but they at least seemed to be fun at the time. And they're just collecting dust on my hard disc, so if you want to take them and do whatever with them then feel free. You'll see I was kind of into curved lines (I made them in DeepSea, which had a great curve tool!)

Of course, I won't be at all offended if you pass :)

DM2 - IMAGE - MAP
DM3 - IMAGE - MAP
DM4 - IMAGE - MAP

Enzo03 said:

Basically I'm saying.. I want in :)

Judging from the blueprint alone, that looks like a fun map. You're on the list!

Tango said:

if anyone wants a map of theirs prettified i would be more than happy to apply some mindless detail :p

You're the freakin' best, Tango.

durian said:

So, waaaaay back in late 90's I made a few maps for my school friends and I dial-up duel on.

I like these maps a lot, the layouts seem to blend seamlessly with my mapping style too, strangely. I'm going to delete all the items and start from scratch because there's some serious balance issues but these are nice maps overall. And hey, it's pretty cool for nostalgia's sake alone to have maps in a DM set that were actually made in the 90's :P

After I re-haul the item placement, I'll send them Tango's way, and if he wants to prettify them, that's just awesome :)

Great! :) But if you (or anyone) also feel like you could improve them with more substantial changes then feel free - I'm really not precious about them.

Re. the items. Hah! Indeed. A partial justification maybe that they were designed for play with old DM rules, so no respawning items.

Also, you may notice that the exits are a bit fiddly - this was because we played a rule whereby winning required meeting the frag limit and exiting, so each map is set up such that the losing player has a chance to claw back some frags and (maybe) win, by sabotaging the winning player's dash to the exit. Ah, good times!

---EDIT---

One more. This was actually the first one we made, I guess in Spring '97. The idea was to copy and paste Map07 onto the back of Map01, thereby combining the two best DM maps into one super map. Anyway, that didn't work out so well. But we made this one instead - a modified Map01. I later discovered DWANGO5, which uses the same idea of connecting the starting area to the outside section, but I always preferred this one, although perhaps just for nostalgic reasons.

I would have posted it last night, but my 15 year old self thought that it was pretty funny to stick in a bunch of modified textures, with various insulting remarks about other players daubed on them, and I thought it best to remove these before sharing.

Again, do whatever you like with it :)

IMAGE - MAP

durian said:

Again, do whatever you like with it :)

IMAGE - MAP

Hahaha, If I use this, there's going to be like 5 entryway remakes in this map set, but so far they're all really different. I'm going to check it out anyway, Entryway and D5M1 are two of my favorite DM areas so I'm certainly not opposed to using it and maybe skewing it around a little.

Thanks for these contributions durian, Your 15 year old self was a good DM map maker and I'm glad they'll finally get some more use after all this time!

EDIT: I am such a noob, i always hit "quote" instead of "edit" on my posts...

durian said:

the exits are a bit fiddly - this was because we played a rule whereby winning required meeting the frag limit and exiting

I think a lot of deathmatchers used to do it this way, I sometimes think it'd be nice to see this option come back - Get 20 frags or more then exit, and you win, if not, they other player still has a chance to catch up. It adds another dimension to the battle :)

Omegalore said:

Let's see what I can do. Learned more things today. Doomers, prepare to be amazed!

Omega is now on the list. I think there's room for about one more, then we'll be filled up.

Very early work. But I have the concept and the central hub down. This is a mid size, 6-8 player map with a central area and a tricky blue armor for those willing to take the risks that go with it. there is an upper lever track that will go around the map without going into the central area, and some lower areas that flow into the hub, where most of the health and destruction will be.

Doomkid92 said:

A little more tweaking with durian's maps, and then i'll send them to Tango. I like what I'm seeing :)

:D

Flamen0d said:

images of my map. Those are all the rooms I have so far.

You're fairly new to mapping? These look pretty cool man, definitely above what I used to make in my newbie days. The only thing I would suggest, is replacing the zombiemen on sticks with corpses, or maybe sticking them in the wall so they won't obstruct the path. I personally find things like this to be strategical in a map, but I believe most deathmatchers will complain about them.