Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

My 1st map - Mansion of Pinkies

I play Doom for years, and send lots of playthoughs to DSDA. Now I have more than 700 demos and rank 3 in DSDA. However I still haven't make a single map, it seems that I am rather falling behind.

I started to learn Doombuilder 2 and finally finish my 1st map by the help of evocalvin and cannonball, thanks. It's not that easy for my 1st work, especially those lindef and sector mode, but I managed to finish it now, and I am pleased.

This 1st map gives me courage to be a mapper. I am going to make my 2nd map soon, in Doom 2 style with curves(I find difficulties). So this map takes place in a base. As the name suggested, this map have a lot of demons and spectres, and it's rather dark too. This map is in Ultimate Doom style, E1M3, -complevel 3.

Actually I hope this map can be put in one of the map in a Doom2 wad, I think I mentioned it before yesterday in this thread.

I also hope I can learn how to change the map's name and its music, or even make a wad. I already do the test and I am pleased, now it's your turn. Give some comments about it!

Screenshots:

Download available:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/Daiyu_E1M34.wad

Note: Shoot first immediately when the game starts in order to wake those pinkies and spectres in the teleporter sectors.

Well, I enjoyed it. I don't see many maps solely focused around Demons, so this was a nice surprise. Some textures were unaligned and in cases a bt mismatched(ie gray crate texture with brown crate texture), but that's pretty much the extent of any grievances I might have. Also, try make secrets stand out a little more: say, a candle in front of a secret wall or something subtle like that. Hope to see you mapping for Doom 2 soon. :)

Eh, not sure how you tested it because I got stuck in the yellow key room. FDA. You need to remove actions from these linedefs: pic.
Despite that bug, it's pretty good for a first map. Go on. :)

Thats a cool first map, lots of punching. Really nice use of spaces and light/shadows. There are a few odd texture alignments (eg some brown crates in the final room that are like 1 and a half crates). Good violent fun.

That yellow key room, I think the lift goes down when you press against the side walls, but I would make it so the linedef you cross to walk onto it makes it go down, or have a switch somewhere nearby. Just to make it more intuitive.

This is a map planned by me since 2 years ago. I actually dream of a 32-level megawad before, with 3 episodes. 1st episode takes place in earth base(1st 6 levels Ultimate Doom style), 2nd episode China, 3rd episode hell. And this map is put in map02, same music.

As for that YK bug, the method to get out is to "press" the 2 walls beside the lift. Anyway I fixed the bug:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Daiyu_E1M36.wad

I delete the lindef tag of the 2 walls besides the lift, and I added a switch to trigger that lift down. I also redone that switch in the outdoor area since it's gone when I do the max run.

this has turned out to be quite decent, highlight for me was looking back after getting the red key. Looking at the main complex and the height and scale of it looks pretty neat.
Make sure the door tracks are lower unpegged (you actually reversed the few I did for you in the start area :P)

The bug is still here, watch this demo. The problem is that you have a few lines with action "Floor lower to 8 above..." and tag 0. This means that they affect every sector with tag 0, which completely breaks the whole map. Just remove these actions, they seem to be pointless anyway.
You should use tag 0 only for DR and D1 type doors.
How could you not notice this, what are you using for the testing? You should test this map with -complevel 3, not -1 or whatever you're using.

EDIT: I tested this in Zandronum, so I didn't see the glitch Memfis mentioned. Common linedef actions with Tag 0 is a destructive force indeed!

This map was satasfying to play through. I like how the ammo balance kept the player using the fists only every now and then, so it didn't get repetitive. By the time I got the yellow key I had built up enough ammo to get through the rest, the gameplay is awesome for a first map.

As others stated, the texturing needs some work, just replacing the ones there now with more suitable ones, for example removing all the white air vents at the beginning. I'm actually not really a texture nazi at all, bad texturing gives me a nostalgic feeling, but this is purely because I'm delusional.

I'd say after a new coat of paint, this is a done deal. I like it!

Oh, and maps taking place in China sounds like a fun idea.. It would be cool if people constructed areas from all over the globe in Doom to make one collective Doom world, no terrible pun intended.

I test the map by using only Prboom-plus 2.5.0.7, not using the command line. However none of these bugs occurs when I do the test using Prboom-plus 2.5.0.7. I already figure out all problems while doing the max run.

All bugs fixed, sorry for my absent-mined mistakes:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Daiyu_E1M37.wad

And I do the max run:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/DAIYU-E1M3-523.zip

It's the 1st time I make a map, therefore experience is a problem. Next time I will do it more carefully.

After the 1st map, I started to gain experiences. My 2nd map was made and tested carefully this time. This map takes place inside a sewerage plant(Name: Sewers Slaughter Revisited/Taipei's Sewerage, no decision yet), use Doom2.wad(Complevel 2, Map18) to watch.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/DAIYU_SEWERAGE_18-TEST.zip

Doomkid92 said:

Oh, and maps taking place in China sounds like a fun idea.. It would be cool if people constructed areas from all over the globe in Doom to make one collective Doom world, no terrible pun intended.

If only I know how to add in new textures. Chinese Garden like this is suitable to fight cybers. I already have 4 plans of Chinese Garden Map. One of them is named as "Pavilion of Suzhou", it takes place in a Chinese Garden mixed with techbase, it's quite a large map with about 450 monsters.

You can set the default compatibility level in prboom-plus.cfg (it's at the very start of the file), then it will always apply, even if you aren't using the command line. I have it at "2".
And nice demo with a thrilling ending (low hp situation). :)

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

After the 1st map, I started to gain experiences. My 2nd map was made and tested carefully this time. This map takes place inside a sewerage plant(Name: Sewers Slaughter Revisited/Taipei's Sewerage, no decision yet), use Doom2.wad(Complevel 2, Map18) to watch.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/DAIYU_SEWERAGE_18-TEST.zip

And where can we get the map itself? :)

Memfis said:

You can set the default compatibility level in prboom-plus.cfg (it's at the very start of the file), then it will always apply, even if you aren't using the command line. I have it at "2".
And nice demo with a thrilling ending (low hp situation). :)

And where can we get the map itself? :)

I not yet send to DSDA since I still need to see if there's anything to change, and I still haven't write the text file, map's name and music need to change as well. But these 2 maps are available here:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/DAIYUS_MAPS.zip

Here are other maps(Name only) I planned. But I hoped to have new textures and even pictures:

1. Sewerage Slaughter Revisited/Taipei's Sewerage: A sewerage map, making in progress now. Music: TNT Map22/Doom 2 Map18
2. Back to UAC Base X: Remake of 2002ADO E4M2. Music: 2002ADO E2M4
3. Too simple indeed right?/Too Simple lol - Dead Simple Style. Music: Not yet planned.
4. Gardens by the Bay, Hangzhou City - Chinese Garden Style, lots of cyberdemons and BFG slaughters. Music: E2M6/Plutonia 2 Map17/TNT Map20/TNT Map04/E2M2 remixed
5. Pavilion of Suzhou: Takes place in a Chinese Garden in Suzhou city. This map have about 450 monsters, most of them are HKS and Barons. No BFG given, but lots of SSG fun. Music: "Gut Wrencher" from Duke Nukem 3D
6. Forbidden Hell of China: This map divides into 2 parts, 1st part indoors is hard as hell, lots of tough monsters, inspired from Alien Vendetta Map14. 2nd part Chinese Garden, a terrible Sunder-like trap. Music: Plutonia Revisited Map20/Requiem Map30
7. Outpost of Destiny: A mix of Plutonia 2 Map26, 27 and 28, as well as Chinese Architecture, hell and Resident Evil. Music: Plutonia 2 Map26
8. Mary Poppins' Wonderland: WTF is this??? Practically perfect in every way lol. Not yet think of the layout, but it's Mary Poppins based. Music: Plutonia 2 Map24/"Nightmare Zone" from Duke Nukem 3D
9. Shizilin Yuan: Actually it's "Lion Grove Garden" in English, this is Hanyu Pinyin. This is a huge Chinese Garden map with lots of rockets spam. Music: "Sneaky Snake" from Duke Nukem 3D(Also used in Sunder Map10 and Cchest3 Map19)
10. The Final Horizion: Planned for Map29, a remake of WOS Map22 and Cchest 4 Map26. Music: WOS Map26(The Demons from Shawn's Pen)/Midi version of one of my favourite Chinese song by Priscilla Chan
11. 1weapon.wad: Only 1 weapon is given for each map.