Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

It's that time of year again

Exam time.

My first exam starts tomorrow at 9am. It's not the easiest of the bunch, and it's my least favourite subject - English. Just a lot of essay writing and answering stupid questions about language and structure. What really pisses me off, is that the organisation which oversees the exams has decided to remove a lot of the material in the course - STARTING NEXT YEAR. So while my year has to work our asses off doing a course which we really should get 2 years to do, rather than 1, the year below us get to do a much smaller course, giving them much more time to go over stuff and actually learn things rather than having it all thrown at you like pancakes and the teachers expect you to learn it.

After English tomorrow, I have history on Monday, physics on Wednesday, and maths and computing a week or so later. I'm *hoping* they all go well. I need at least three A's and two B's to get into the university course I want to - quite a feat if you ask me. Oh well, must get back to the books.

Wish me luck.

Don't papercut an artery and bleed to death in a library, that would have to be one of the top 3 pussiest obituaries EVER.

It's kinda strange for me to see people on this forum complain about the subject English - English is my all-time fav subject.

And then I realize that those people who complain about the subject are native English speakers and are not talking about a subject which teaches you a foreign language - yeah, I hate the equivalent of that subject too, things in it don't seem logical to me.

I hate foreign language subjects as well. 4 years of learning French (which I will probably never use) is the cause of this hatred :P

The only language which does interest me a bit is Latin, but I never had the chance to learn this at school.

English was my favourite - mainly for creative writing, and it was one of my highest-marking classes.

ZarcyB said:

Exam time.

What really pisses me off, is that the organisation which oversees the exams has decided to remove a lot of the material in the course - STARTING NEXT YEAR.

Yeah, pisses me off too. I have had to teach a course that is being trimmed slightly next year (Biology). Still, if they cut down the course, the last year to do the bigger version will always (and justifiably) be pissed off.

It even happened to me with Teacher training. The year I did it, I needed to do 14 4000 word assignments, including things like educational psychology (kept in the course simply because the lecturer hadn't retired yet) and 6 in school observed lessons. The following year 4 assignments (and the Ed psych guy had retired so none of that), 5 observed lessons and a folio of work to be presented, on which only a small sample of students would actually be examined.

Your entry requirements do seem pretty steep, so I guess your not doing some weak ass media studies HND skive for a year before you start practising the phrase "you want fries with that".

So good luck with it. I hope you get what you need.

I had half my finals last semester, another half comming up and one of those state tests that treat you like lab monkies and evaluate everything like even the way you form sentances. God dammit, I hate those, I don't like when people try and research my abilities. With finals they just want to know if you learned anything.

I finished my finals last week. I've spent the last few days trying to get my apartment cleaned up and my gear packed for the trip home for the summer. All this dust is driving my allergies nuts.

(Oh, and in case anyone cares, I'll be incommunicado from tomorrow to sometime Friday.)

Bah, English is easy. I got A at A Level and I'm at high 2:1 in my degree thus far.

Wait, it's really gay to patronise people about stuf they can't do! I know, because I got a C in GCSE Maths!

Good luck, zarcy, the 3 hour ones are killers, I well know. I did three essay A Levels, English, History and Economics. I filled a small book during those exams.

I just had a 3 hour one at uni, though, in my History module, it wasn't so bad. Less pressure. I think with the pressure of uni placings, there's never so much pressure than with A Levels.

Just think, if you can do this, you can do anything. And even if you don't get the grades, there's just a good a time waiting for you at another uni.

Bah, English is easy

If you're a non-native English speaker used to watching American/British TV programmes and learning English as a foreign language then yes, it is pretty easy.

If you're a native English speaker having this weird subject where you really have to use your imagination and think in weird patterns to be able to interpret the shit, then I'd say that it depends on your general thought patterns (what do you find logical/what do you NOT find logical).

Truth be told, I suck at interpreting advanced short stories/poems/whatever, because MY kind of logic is different from the teacher's, same reason why I suck at maths - I don't find it logical at all.

Lüt said:

Yeah, if it's your first language.

haven't you got a TC to be getting on with, smarty pants?

English isn't my first language either, even though I began learning it ever since I was in kindergarden o.o I still think English class can be a lot of fun, learning grammar, writing essays, and reading stories. Honestly, if I have to read, personally I can't just sit down for hours to read a story that lasts like 10 pages long. I would rather to sit down in a classroom with a bunch of people around me and share the fun at the same time, take turns to read. I actually enjoy doing that.

4 years of foreign language? um, I thought foreign language is only elective, well you may take it if you want to, also to earn more credits to get into college as well.

Well, this year, admittedly, I don't consider I have done so well overall. Especially, taking VB has screwed my life up. I found out I ain't meant to be a programming person after all the strugglings this year. Also I didn't do so well in chemistry either cuz' I didn't actually read the book and my notes weren't organized very much. That sucks. Well, supposedly, my GPA of this year is approximately about 86, to me it isn't very good. Hopefully I couuld do better in my junior year next year. Intentionally going for 96 of GPA

BTW, Zarcy, what's your GPA right now?

My finals aren't for about another month...

And the funny thing is, foreign language is like my best class. That and civics. I'm decent at math too, but for some reason I'm really good at Spanish.

My least fave subject has got to be math. Always hated it, always will.
English I like, since I'm good at creative writing and I like to read.

I was good at creative writing. I still like to read. Didn't stop me from failing English in my high school finals though :P Stupid Great Gatsby, Streetcar Named Desire, Death of a Salesman... what relevance do those books/plays have to Australian culture? Here's an answer: NONE.

GooberMan said:

Stupid Great Gatsby, Streetcar Named Desire, Death of a Salesman... what relevance do those books/plays have to Australian culture? Here's an answer: NONE.

Learning about foreign cultures can be useful too :-P

ZarcyB said:

I hate foreign language subjects as well. 4 years of learning French (which I will probably never use) is the cause of this hatred :P

Same here, except in my case it swedish. In Finland swedish is the second official language, so it must be teached. I liked english lessons, though.

Zro said:

Same here, except in my case it swedish. In Finland swedish is the second official language, so it must be teached. I liked english lessons, though.

You're forced to learn Swedish???
TEH HORROR!!!!!

999cop said:

BTW, Zarcy, what's your GPA right now?

Uhh... GPA?

Oh yeah, update on the English exam: I think I fucked up on the second part of the paper, where I had to write an essay about a book/play that I'd read. I had all this stuff on Othello prepared, quotes and everything, and there was no bloody essay question that would fit. So in the end, I had to do my essay on The Hobbit, a book I'd read in my spare time, one that I didn't do nearly as much work on, and I've probably failed. Or at least done badly. It's a good thing English isn't too important for what I want to do.

Zro said:

I think nc and Esox, both Finnish players, in their household they speak Swedish all the time

ZarcyB said:

Uhh... GPA?

Oh yeah, update on the English exam: I think I fucked up on the second part of the paper, where I had to write an essay about a book/play that I'd read. I had all this stuff on Othello prepared, quotes and everything, and there was no bloody essay question that would fit. So in the end, I had to do my essay on The Hobbit, a book I'd read in my spare time, one that I didn't do nearly as much work on, and I've probably failed. Or at least done badly. It's a good thing English isn't too important for what I want to do.

GPA = Grade Point Average
i did my writing performance 2 weeks ago and had to write something like about any characters or any conflicts i have read over this semister and i wrote about julius caesar, heh, the most remarkable one in my head, did pretty good on it probably, good luck to yours!

Doomboy: contradictorily, i love math

dsm said:

You're forced to learn Swedish???
TEH HORROR!!!!!

nah i dun think its a bad thing learning more than one language, just like where im from, must learn 2 languages at school, but its educations suck big time, didn't learn the stuff very deeply. Actually, i'd admire that about the whole living in finnish and forced to learn swedish thing, must got some masterful learning skills to fit it the situation

We don't have anything like that Grade Point Average thing over here. In fact, we're very rarely given a look at how well we're doing throughout the whole year - it's like, we get 1 or 2 report cards a year. Extremely dumb.

yeah, i can relate how gay it's been like there when i used to do that too in my country

fodders said:

I think nc and Esox, both Finnish players, in their household they speak Swedish all the time

nc's swedish is really good.

His English is usually better than mine too, Esox's has improved while I have known him