Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Risen3D - Sound/Music Volume Problem

I recently switched from 2.2.12 to 2.2.19 Risen3D
In the new version I encounter a problem with the Music / Sound Volume. I cannot turn midi volume down without turning down the sound effects volume too.

If I lower the WinMMmidi volume it lowers the volume of the sound effects too and vice versa... it seems like they are linked.

It's not "visible" - it stays at the same position - but gets louder / softer.

Can someone please check and confirm this? If I run 2.2.12, everything works fine. in case this is a known problem, can someone please let me know which is the last version that does not have this prob?

No problem here. What version of windows are you using ? Have you read R3D_MIDI.txt in the HELP folder ? Are you running any other audio application at the same time ?

Just checked my copy of 2.2.19 and its working fine for me - both sound and music can have their volumes changed independently of the other one.

Thank you for checking!

I use Win7/64
Did not encounter similar soundproblems in any other application.
I don't run any other audio app at the same time.
Just did one more "clean install" and also renamed the location of my standard installation while I was testing. still the same problem while 2.2.12 runs just fine - but I noticed that the sound panel in 2.2.12 looks completely different.

Since it's working on your machines I guess it's a problem specific to my machine - but only in later versions.
I was reading through the R3D_MIDI.txt and I think there have been made some changes in 2.2.13
I AM using a "semi-external" soundcard though. It's PCI express, connected an external box with multiple hardware ins and outs. - but the card is not even activate in the panel. If I switch to it I get no midi at all. The slider I use is called WinMM Midi Volume and like I said. There is no problem like this in any other application.

I switched back to 2.2.12 for the time being.

ok, that shads some light on it. From what I've seen it's a microsoft issue and a workaround has to be coded in R3D to fix it.

Or did I miss anything?

Graham Jackson suggests that for now try the -useFMODs switch on the command line. Let us know if it works for you. Also, the next release will allow forcing of MIDIs as an option which might also fix the problem.

I was also wondering if your motherboard comes with on-board sound. Might be worth trying it as well.

hawkwind said:

Graham Jackson suggests that for now try the -useFMODs switch on the command line. Let us know if it works for you.

Didn't notice any difference

hawkwind said:

I was also wondering if your motherboard comes with on-board sound. Might be worth trying it as well.

It's a Gigabyte MB and it has on onboard soundcard. But I doubt it would make a difference since this seems to be a "documented problem" on my OS. Did you check the links above? If I remember correctly there was a fix mentioned. I recently tried 3 different ports... none of them shared this problem.
Changing the active soundcard each time I play doom would be too much hassle. It can only be done in the bios... cables need to be swapped etc... ; )

I just stick with the older version for now. It works fine and I can adjust midi separately without a problem. The only reason I updated was because it didn't render 3 maps in CC4 correctly. But I can live with that. I didn't even notice these "render errors" until I read about it ; )

Thanks for your time!

Now that Risen3D v2.2.20 has been released, you might like to try it to see it it fixes your problem. I suggest installing it to its own directory and placing the new switch -FMODmidi on the command line.