Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Plutonia 2 No Monsters demo pack [-complevel 4]

JCD said:

Map19 in 0:11

lazy lazy lazy! i got 11 with the imp in the way, so there's space for 1 more sec down, cmon! :)

Map02 in 0:09
I have to admit my initial reaction to the intended shortcuts was too strong, but I like finding new tricks and routes :p

p202o009.zip

doomdaniel95 said:

Springy, I think you missed ClumsyDoomer's MAP17 demo.. he has a time of 13 seconds, which beats my old 14 second demo. :)

Jesus Christ on a bendy bus lane! I must've just missed it as I skimmed through, thanks for pointing that out, edited.

Springy, for the Map03 jump I just first practiced it until I got it like twice to find the correct angle and then just tried it until it worked. The angle you run has to be almost perfect but shorttics helps a bit with that, basically only one of the directions you even can run in works. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some trick for it though, if the key grab has a simple setup as well (I couldn't figure the key thing out btw, heh).

Damn you looper, I was so happy with that 10.

Map29 in 2:02.69 which is kinda awful but it might help someone who gets lost as easily as I do figure out a route for this map. My first exit took half an hour even with nomonsters. One obvious improvement for this route would be going straight to red key and gliding past the pillars instead of jumping through all the hoops needed to lower them but I couldn't get that trick to work.

p229o202.zip

kunkun said:

Springy, for the Map03 jump I just first practiced it until I got it like twice to find the correct angle and then just tried it until it worked. The angle you run has to be almost perfect but shorttics helps a bit with that, basically only one of the directions you even can run in works. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some trick for it though, if the key grab has a simple setup as well (I couldn't figure the key thing out btw, heh).

I found the grab relatively easy the jump I used automated SR-50 on my TAS 0:14 demo but yes, it's about the angle of the jump. I only just figured out today that SR-50 is binded on mouse 2, I never even tried that in regular PrBoom after all those years but that's what I had binded on ST.

Nice job on MAP29, kunkun. I remember having a demo on DSDA in 2:30 which was full of mistakes (way back from when I always called one or two tries good lol) and without that cool jump just before teleporting to the BSK. 28 seconds is definitely a nice improvement. :)

Oh, also, Springy, you have Kunkun's MAP29 demo entered as being over 2 hours long (the .69 is hundredths of a second and doesn't need to be included). Sorry if this seems annoying that I keep pointing out things.. I'm just kinda like that.

ClumsyDoomer said:
Map12 in 0:53 (for some reason it costed me tons of effort) [/B]

That map is not as easy as it looks! That's why you had to put a lot of effort in. ;)

Ask and you shall receive Gusta, here's Map16 in 0:37. How my wobbly as hell demo is faster than your really snappy looking one I have no idea. This map kinda mindscrewed me with its lack of crazy tricks, haha.

Daniel, I tried Map13 as well and the route I figured out was about the same as yours, just slightly slower since I'm silly. Best I got was 0:58.

Is there some way to have prboom show the exact time in tally screens by the way? So far I've been timing my demos by watching them in slomo and looking what the time is when reaching the exit.

p216o037.zip

kunkun said:

Ask and you shall receive Gusta, here's Map16 in 0:37. How my wobbly as hell demo is faster than your really snappy looking one I have no idea. This map kinda mindscrewed me with its lack of crazy tricks, haha.

cool, wobbly or not you are simply faster, you should better do some solid 36 or 35, really ;-)

Kunkun, I just watch my demos again after I record them, and pay attention to the hundredths of a second when I exit it. I don't know if hundredths of a second could show up in the tally screen or not, but I sort of doubt it.

kunkun said in p216o037.txt:
intercept overflows (now that would be an interesting speedrunning trick)

Indeed, though there are very few maps where it has any potential to be useful, as it requires a "damage/exit if health <10%" sector. To my knowledge, there is only one map where it has been used. If someone could trigger an intercepts overflow on Doom E1M8, that could make for a truly sensational demo.

You can use the -levelstat command-line option to give you millisecond times for each level in a demo.

Someone know what causes the overflow? Lots of projectiles flying and spectres running over linedefs or what?

They appear to be more likely when there are lots of hitscan attacks (e.g. Nuts.wad on NM) and/or a long linedef 0 (e.g. Oblige maps before Ajapted changed it for this specific reason), but neither is a necessary or sufficient condition.

Grazza said:

Indeed, though there are very few maps where it has any potential to be useful, as it requires a "damage/exit if health <10%" sector. To my knowledge, there is only one map where it has been used. If someone could trigger an intercepts overflow on Doom E1M8, that could make for a truly sensational demo.

You can use the -levelstat command-line option to give you millisecond times for each level in a demo.

Thanks, I tried finding something like that in the options for ages. Interesting stuff about that bug, those demos were pretty amazing.

I don't think anyone knows what causes it, doomwiki says it might be caused by tracers crossing 128 linedefs/things and somewhere else it said it might be related to linedef 0 somehow but I can't see either of those happening in those blacktwr demos. I've seen demos with it also in e1m3, doom2 map2 and once had it happen while practicing map26 (no demo sadly) so it can't be anything terribly consistent or it would've been figured out already, and would also happen a lot more often. Seems like one of those "when stars align" things.

(edit: somewhere else indeed, should've refreshed before posting)

kunkun said:

Is there some way to have prboom show the exact time in tally screens by the way? So far I've been timing my demos by watching them in slomo and looking what the time is when reaching the exit.

prboom-plus -file wad -playdemo demo -levelstat
This creates a file levelstat.txt with exact time(s)

Example:
prboom-plus -iwad plutonia -file pl2 -playdemo p216o037 -skipsec 36 -levelstat
You add -skipsec in order not to wait the whole playback,

This makes me think again of an old idea of mine: Prboom+ guide/manual, many people are unaware of extremely useful functions. But then, I also use only some of them, probably ignoring some useful advanced stuff.