Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Did Chex Quest 2 originally come with it's own exe?

Rummaging around the internet for Chex Quest 2, all I can find is a version of the wad bundled with the original Chex Quest.

Was this how it was originally distributed, or did it once come with its own exe etc?

I ask because a couple of things in the Chex2 maps seem to suggest it did; such as the final bosses looking like they should move.

Chex Quest 2, if I recall, was distributed as a WAD file with a batch file that ran chex.exe with -file.

The "new" enemies in Chex 2 are merely reskins of the Chex 1 enemies.

You have to use Chex 3 to see all them as independent monsters.

Chex Quest 1 was distributed via CD in Chex cereal boxes. Chex Quest 2 came out a year-ish (?) later on the now-defunct Chex Quest site, and as Weasel said was just a wad you ran with a batch file. I do believe the Maximii moved in the initial release, but I could be wrong.

And yeah, Chex Quest 3 renovates and improves the first two as well, so go with that.

Captain Ventris said:

I do believe the Maximii moved in the initial release, but I could be wrong.

That's the intriguing thing; I didn't have Chex Quest back in the day. But if one uses the Chex 1 exe with Chex 2 as is claimed, they don't move because the Chex 1 exe had a minor alteration (one of several), that set it's speed to 0.

Another theory is that at one point, Chex 2 was going to have it's own exe, but it was ultimately just turned into an add-on for Chex 1.

Actually, I think they didn't, but I was, like, 5 when I played it, so I died so hard that my imagination filled in the gaps because, as you said, it looks like it should move. Anyway, they move in CQ3. :P

EDIT: Actually, I do believe that they do some weird moonwalking thing if you don't do some sprite renaming. I think I had to do something like that for ZDoom Wars. So yeah, no movement originally.