Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys I am a new member at Doomworld and I would like to get a few ideas from the doom community. I'm thinking of creating a map using GZDoom Builder and what things should I do to maximize quality and working speed. I've seen a few tutorials and what not to do but I need ideas like a idea of laying out the level, thanks.

If I were you I'd start out with regular Doom builder and make basic Doom maps.

My suggestions would be to ensure that there are a lot of optional areas for the player to explore and that player's objectives are presented to them in the right order. For example, ensure that the player sees a locked door before he finds the key to it.

And don't get obsessed with detail. As long as you use some variation floor and ceiling height and throw in some odd angles, your map will be interesting.

What Marnetmar said. Although there's definitely nothing that says you can't build a vanilla Doom level in GZDB, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it until you know what features to avoid to maximize compatibility with ports. I built my E1M2/E2M2 Switcheroom! project map in GZDB, and it runs without a hitch in Chocolate Doom. If you've got DB2 already, just copy the "Doom.cfg" over from one DB's Configuration folder to the other. At least that way you'll avoid a newbie mistake like placing a FLAT on a sidedef, or using a linedef action that would crash vanilla Doom ports.

Hunter: One of the simplest layouts is to start the player in a room with two (or more) doors. One that requires a key, and one that doesn't. Going through the open-able door provides a challenge that eventually nets you the key you need to open the previously locked door. This is seen a bit trite, but it's still good practice.

If you're just starting out, then I would recommend ending your map soon after that locked door. And don't be shy to share your work for further feedback.

Try to make a map that is fun and challenging. No boring crap like "here is a shotgun and a few shells, now kill these 4 imps". Put the player into danger, make him think and react fast, make him move all the time.

Pretty much as Marnetmar said.

If I was mapping, sometimes I make the player reach a point where he can see an inaccessible area with a specific key. And connect some areas with windows to make the player see that area and knows that it's going to be accessed later. Usually put the shotgun (or any primary weapon) in a room close to the start, and make it get lowered by clicking a switch, or put it on a glowing pad. This way will attract that player more.

Put monster closets. If you don't know them, they are closed rooms filled with monsters that will open as the map progresses, such as after taking a key the closet will open. It will make revisited areas alive.

There are no limits to creativity.

I would say start off simple, once you have the basics mastered move on to more complex levels. I am still in basics as of now!

or just find something you love doing and stick to it!

Best advice I can give is to start small. I've struggled with MAP22 of D2INO over the months I've been working on it on-and-off.

Start small like everyone is saying and focus on your process. Usually I do all the layout, detail, choreography (switches/doors/etc), monsters then a lot of testing. It helps to keep systematic if you try and do a little of this and a little of that it will take significantly longer to complete a map.

You might also want to sketch out a simple map idea on paper and then try to duplicate it in the map editing program, adding details as you go whilst keeping to a basic idea. Once you get some mapping knowledge, it can be hard to not want to become really extravagant sometimes. I'm still working on a level called Sensorium for my NOVA project and I'm pretty sure it's been over 12 months since I started from a basic sketch map made by AlwaysDoomed. I've added heaps of stuff to Sensorium in that time, so much so that I had to rescale it to prevent cramping of spaces, that and I've yet to connect all the disjointed ideas into a playable level, something which will need further modification here and there. If you go the path I went though, you'll probably get burnt out as it is a lot of work to make a huge, inspired high detailed map and you may want to progress slow so you don't risk giving up. Joining (or starting in my case) a community project once you acquire some skills can be good for map making motivation as well.

thanks guys for the ideas, I may start on the map sometime in April and when it is done I'll upload it to the idgames archive

A fresh mind full of ideas is always an advantage. Have a layout that overlaps, a mix of linear and non linear and progressing theme. Use height variations as much as possible.

Height variation is probably the hardest thing to get down. Not just stairs or steps between rooms, but having combat take place across multiple planes.