Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pablogener

DooM '3' in DooM 1

I keep advancing with my project and I wanted to let the community know how things are going.
Here's how far I got already:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbbV9ZMmExM2xpM2s/edit?usp=sharing

this time around, I got the first level to load automatically when the wad is added to the game and the 'end level' on the first map to take you straight to the second map.
I'm still struggling with the cinematic ending of the second map, so that things slide ('out of control, all hell breaks loose') into the third map where you know what comes then...
well, hope things are ok, just let me know what you guys think.

edit: uploaded the wrong map version.. sorry... 2nd map had the start point misplaced.

Looks good, but it's too bright. May I suggest lowering the brightness levels? 0 should be good, it'll help give it a more authentic D3 feel.

Seriously though, it honestly feels a little cramped. Especially in the starting area of E1M1.

Doom '3' in Doom 1

Interesting, because... Check your Private Messages, man.

Also lol:

DON'T GET EXITED AND SHOOT ANY UAC STAFF MEMBERS (should have been EXCITED (I think))

Ok, 'finished' the first two levels. I think I got the ending animation right, this time. Although I will admit I'm no Spielberg, whatsoever... I must say I did get 'so close' to what I wanted. Fair enough.
Check out my Google Drive folder for the .zip, that's where the .wad is in. Plus, there are a few screenshots there, so you can see what a marvel I've come to achieve... NOT! he.

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbRkdUMlNHQ2gxS2c

the thing here is, try to play a doom1 .wad file with the look and feel (and playability) of DooM 3. you can't just run around killing things in the first two levels, because that's not what happened in Doom 3. just period, ok? that's why you guys get bored with this, there's prolly 2~3' of doing nothing but just walking around, JUST LIKE in the original DooM 3. just wait and see, everything will go to hell in a few moments...
from what I got onwards I'll get these first two maps 'remade' in hellish design and decor so you run back to marine hq fighting the evil that's there to haunt you.

ps:I will still do some more tweaking work in these first two maps.

This is sweet! This feels like what Tom Hall wanted the first Doom to be, but I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Very authentic E1 style recrations of Doom 3 areas, only I got lost a looooooooooooooooooot less here than in the real Doom 3.

It's obviously in it's baby stages, but I really hope you keep going with this. The animation when the marine gets zombified is funny :) also, please unpeg those doortraks!

Small gripes aside, this is freaking great. I really hope you continue with it!

Maybe this should be a community project like DTWID? Doom 3 meets Doom 1? D3MD1? The results would be fascinating.

DooM_RO said:

Maybe this should be a community project like DTWID? Doom 3 meets Doom 1? D3MD1? The results would be fascinating.

Yes. This has too much potential.

more work ('partially') finished.
started the third map, where everything starts to go off track!! the chasm appears, but not so noticably yet...

this is the latest version of the wad
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbSjVJWFVjT0xvSU0/edit

this is the google drive folder where I keep all the files from this project.
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbRkdUMlNHQ2gxS2c

hope you guys can grab the files and try them out to see how things are going.

Ok, my megawad project keeps advancing.
These are the things I did since the last update:
+ finished the 2nd level
+ added 2 more levels
- the 4th level is still unfinished. it has no 'exit point'.
+ added a big 'computer' area to the 2nd level...
+ where later on monsters spawn out of thin air.
+ added my own 'blood splattered' walls to the pwad
+ added a lot of design editing so that 3rd and 4th levels
are exactly the same as 2nd and 1st (in that order) but with
'HELL' coming in... monsters spawn out of nothing, turning humans
into zombies, or atacking you. some things on the base changed to
'hellish' things (light fixtures, for example), black candles, hanging guys, lava, blood splatter, body pieces, all sorts of horrors invade the base from 3rd level on.
+ on the 4th level you find out that your CO is holding up at alpha labs and you need to get him the red card with the comm logs.. and so the story goes on.

ok, screenshots so you guys fall inlove with my work (NOT! :D)

and now, here's the .zip with the pwad in it, so you can take a tour to hell yourself.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbM2xmQkc2d1M5SzA/edit?usp=sharing

what I'm currently working on:
. trying to create a new 'SPRITE' inside my pwad, so I can add both, new 'textures' and 'sprites' to customize the game and make it look the most 'doom3-ish' possible.
. note to community: thanks for all the help and encouragement, I got the patches in the pwad and edited 'new textures' using the "regular 'doom.wad' walls"+"my 'blood splatter' .pngs"=new bloody walls. it was orgasmic.

I hope I get this finished someday.

try it and comment. thanks for your time, people.

Looks pretty cool! But yes, this is supposed to go into the WADs and Mods section, WIP or not ;)

here's another update from my project:

DooM 3 'in' DooM 1.

all the experience of the DooM 3 game, in DooM 1 perspective.
I tried to stay as true to the '3' as possible, using todays technology, mapping in DooM 1 (zDooM in Hexen format).

here's the file, so you can checkout the first 5 levels:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbQnhMRXlNVXotZnM/edit?usp=sharing

I'll leave a poster.
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbZXBaT2kyRWRQZmc

hope you guys enjoy this. I'm missing a lot of stuff, yet. I need sprites, textures, signs and computer screens, props, monster/health/ammo placement, difficulty level adaptation, everything!! it's getting real heavy now.
But I'll try my best to get it done.

I'd suggest just bumping your old topic whenever you have an update from now on. Will play the beta in a bit, haven't played them since the first release.

EDIT: Some bugs I've had so far... On the maps with windows, it's possible to shoot outside. I'm not sure if this was intentional. I'm also not sure if it's intentional that there are some desks on some maps that you can jump behind, though the only one that springs to mind right now is one in the fourth map. Had this been a Boom or vanilla map this would probably not be fixable, but in ZDoom I believe there's a way to make the lines in front of windows stop bullets. On the second and third maps, the cavern rooms lifts aren't textured, so if you manage to jump off them and look at them like I did they produce a hall of mirrors effect. The fourth map had a few issues, too. Going back to the start of the map after reactivating power once again turns the power off. I also managed to get stuck behind the blue key door with no way to continue without noclipping. I found another HOM in the fifth map here.

EDIT2: In the case of weapons/enemies, I'd suggest checking out Realm667 for some of that. For example, this page has both the Doom 3 Wraith and Z-Sec for download. (Unless you're sticking with the original Doom's enemies and weapons)

This time I was giggling at the subtitles even more :) How in fact you need, even if you don't want, to break the order, if you want to exit the level.

Scripts nice, however I cannot say your visuals are improving. I find many textures and flats that are cut really oddly. Anyway it's quite fun, and good that your progress is fast (much faster than mine), although I definitely could recommend you to stop for a moment and reconsider your approach to texture aligning.

I found references to several D3 levels in your fifth level, which indicates you're not gonna rework D3 level by level as I thought. If I can ask, how many maps are you planning, just roughly?

I don't mind texture alignment, period.
the HOM mirrors you mentioned, I just don't know what to do to fix them. I'm not even sure I can spot those bugs, at all. about staying true to D3, this is what I planned:
8-level megawad:
m1 - mars city
m2 - underground
m3 - underground hell
m4 - mars city hell
m5 - alpha labs
m6 - teleporter
m7 - delta labs
m8 - final

that will be it.
did anybody see the finale of e1m5?? how did you feel about it, in regards of 'scaring the s****t out of you' the way D3 did?

Scared? You'd need to try much much harder :D But the finale is impressive definitely. Tip: Make the player stop in the teleporter using Thing_Stop(0) after he steps in.

And to spot missing textures, Doom Builder (2) has an useful feature called Map Analysis Mod, which searches for errors like stuck things or missing textures. It doesn't catch all errors, since some missing textures for example appear only after a lift is lowered, but it helps a lot. Whenever I'm mapping, I always try to make it so the error checker reports no errors, I even avoid using illusio-pits because of that, heh.

thanks scifista for that 'thing_stop(0)' tip, it really came much much in handy. I still keep advancing with this thing, and now I'm much closer to finishing it.
I've finished a big part of the 6th level, but it's still missing a whole lotta things too.
I'll give you the latest update on a .zip so you guys can check it out and tell me what you think

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbZXdDQW5SY3Zkb00/edit?usp=sharing

after I'm done with all 8 levels, I plan to take a few 'poster' pictures, make at least a couple of videos with this and maybe post it on an online game network service so people can download it.

After all this, and learning so much of ACS I think I would be willing to get into a bigger project. Some TC or a whole new game from scratch. I got a lot of ideas. I'm just saying...

/*edit I forgot! here's the 6-level file:
\\GoogleDrive\doom3-6levels.zip edit*/

I'll make a little review of my .wad

All the levels in this wad are inspired by DooM 3. I try to get the same look and feel, and stick as close as I can to some design ideas, like map layouts, things you see in the game, portions of the geography you run into from just playing the thing, I try to mimmick them.
I'll make 8 levels trying to cover the best part of the whole DooM 3 game. I've just finished the 6th level and it was up to now, the most difficult one, because of the teleporters in it. I will now describe the map list and make a little review of each map. Later on (maybe today...) I'll add screenshots from everymap. A few of the first 4 maps are already on this thread, but I'll add more. BTW some things have changed since a few updates back.

Maps:

MARSCITY - Mars City
Welcome to Mars. you start outside, just got off the ship. The only place you can go is into the UAC base. on the way in you're 'bioscanned' to check for who knows what. You're clear and in you go. At the 'welcome' desk you're given a blue key card and informed to report immediatly to Marine HQ. Once you finally get there, you find nobody there, but a radio comm from your CO tells you to take a yellow key card to gain higher security clearance and head 'downstairs' to the underground where you must find and stop a transmission being sent form an old decommissioned communication site. Once you approach the elevator, the guards recognize your new security clearance level and let you through. you step in the platform and start descending...

screenshot album: https://plus.google.com/107878649574618636612/posts/RUdYbPDsgn8

UDGN - Mars City Underground
Welcome to the dungeons, marine. You're given some ammo and an armor vest and sent on to find that comm site. you wander off into incredible dark caves into the face of Mars, and pass by some heavy computer equipment still running experiments on its own. Then get to a 'double-door' passway to the exterior, you take a little quick sprint to the other side and go into the comm site, where you find a rogue soldier trying to communicate with Earth, to warn them of something. He freaks out when he sees you and then something happens. From a strange green cloud a 'flying skull on fire' comes out and attacks the fellow soldier, who the turns into a... ZOMBIE!, the weird skull vanishes into thin air in a new cloud of green fire. You kill the zombie and take his red key card, which has a record of the communications being sent out by the guy.

screenshot album: https://plus.google.com/107878649574618636612/posts/4VSS5wmpfYg

UDGN - Mars City Underground in Siege!
You start your way back to Marine HQ to give the red card to your CO, but on the way up you find things are changing around you. weird monsters come out of nothing. things that look like hellish nightmares. zombies all around of you, and your fellow soldiers fallen, dead and torn. Guys hanging from the ceiling or impaled, blood splattered all around, all hell has broken loose. You manage to reach the elevator again but it seems not to be operational. Just a tweak to reroute power from the maintenance area to make it work.

screenshot album: https://plus.google.com/107878649574618636612/posts/gph9FF3ZSpF

MCHELL - Mars City in Siege!
You're back in the base, but everyone is either dead or gone. You receive a transmission from your CO at a local public terminal and he informs you to follow him and his team to Alpha Labs, where they've secured the perimeter. So you follow.

screenshot album: https://plus.google.com/107878649574618636612/posts/6sUByF14F4f

ALPHA - Alpha Labs
Once you get to the Alpha Labs, your CO tells you they're just behind the bridge that leads to delta because they were under attack and couldn't hold on for you. You have to get to the bridge's comm room and send them over that red card's content. After that, they'll grab a battlecruiser and go for your rescue. Also, you're informed to STAY AWAY from the teleportation lab. So you do send that red card's log to your CO and are told to sit tight and do nothing until they come and get you, but... just staying there and doing nothing is waiting to be killed so... you seem forced to disobey and head for that teleporter lab everyone talked so much about...
You turn on the teleporter, while threats are raining on you from your CO, of you being arrested, shot on sight, etc
You head into the teleporter and pray that you end up at Delta to find that damn CO and straighten things up, face-to-face

screenshot album: https://plus.google.com/107878649574618636612/posts/H6vDo3EzXWZ

DELTA - Delta Labs
Once in Delta, of course, you don't find your CO but just more of this hellish damnation that's leaving everything dead and ruined in its wake. when you get to open the main teleporter door, something(s) unexpected comes out of it.

screenshot album: https://plus.google.com/107878649574618636612/posts/4Q2QdyKinH5

//still in development!!//
HELL - Hell
You wander off, without an actual path leading you anywhere in particular until you finally find your CO, but he's changed a little bit...

RUINS - Site 1 Excavation Ruins
You descend on the path of the ruins, while gripping that BFG real tight, and head to face the worst horror of them all. The CyberDemon.
//still in development!!//

-------------8<----------------

Ok, on the 'Delta' level, I want to point out a little technical feat I came to accomplish. There are 3 teleporting platforms on this map.
all three have 2 screen panels for you to choose where you want to teleport to. You guys can do the math: on Delta A you can only choose Delta B and Storage, on Delta B... etc. you walk up to your desired destination's panel and press 'use'. the game will inform you which desination you just chose, and will set a global variable. When you go into the teleporting 'green cloud', you're teleported to the 'blood-and-screams' bridge. from there, that global variable is read and you're teleported to your desired destination. programmed like this, I only needed one teleporter 'bridge' sector, a few map spots to 'move' you around and only ONE script, with arguments, to take you anywhere. It's the same script, recursively used to take you from one point to another. I used a similar method to operate a crane that brings forward 'some weird artifacts' (invisibility, megasphere, etc) for you to 'study' but not touch :( .

alright, I'll go play the thing (with and without monsters) so I can take a few good screenshots to show off.
edit:done with pics, now on to film a video!!

/*edit I forgot! here's the 6-level file:
\\GoogleDrive\doom3-6levels.zip edit*/

I just watched the video and my only issues with this is that you're using big doors in place of small doors which looks really out of place, and the door tracks aren't lower unpegged. I'm still going to download this right now because other than what I just described, it looks really fun!

I intentionally didn't include the 6th level in the video, because I don't want to give that much away. you guys have to play that level to see it.

* BUMP! *

I'll leave a 7-level .zip so you guys can try the penultimate level. Now, there's so little left! I have to start working on the final level, and then... well, setting the music for the latter half of the .wad pack, taking some more screenshots, do another video of a gameplay, make a few posters to promote the mod, etc. I'm nearly done!!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzc6MWmAB9KbLVNQX2ZxSEgtS3c/edit?usp=sharing

the 7th level is the 'Hell' level. After this comes the ruins of the excavation and the Final Boss!