Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

"Read beyond end of file" problem

I been making my 2nd map. I want to add pictures as my new textures, and I know how to do it eventually using XWE. I upload one, I find it too big so I resize. Then somewrong wrong happened. In XWE, it states "Read beyond end of file", the map can't open. Same when I open it using Doombuilder 2(Unable to read beyond the end of the stream) and prboom-plus(Signal 11). How can I fix this problem? I don't want to remake this map since it's 80% done.

Map File: http://filesmelt.com/dl/Daiyu_Sewerage_181.wad

Open with Doom2, Map18

your pnames lump is fucked, for some reason it was being read as a graphics lump. deleting it and map plays with no problem. on a side note I find slade much easier to use when it comes to textures stuff

Ribbiks said:

your pnames lump is fucked, for some reason it was being read as a graphics lump. deleting it and map plays with no problem. on a side note I find slade much easier to use when it comes to textures stuff

Thanks for the help, I can open the map using both Doombuilder 2 and XWE now, but how come I can't open it in PrBoom-Plus? It stated "R_nitTextures: 2 errors"

here's the wad, seems to play fine in prb+, all I did was pop open slade and delete pnames and textures lumps. I suggest starting your texture additions over again :)

Actually I got backups given to some doomers due to some bug fixed. Now I can open the map with both XWE and Doombuilder 2, but not PrBoom-Plus.

I just have a check, I can open it using plutonia and tnt as iwad.

TimeOfDeath said:

I hope you're making backups before opening your wad in xwe. :)

And this is one of the biggest reasons why I'd advocate SLADE over XWE: no annoying autosave rendering your WADs FUBAR accidentally.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Still can't work for me in prboom-plus. :( The "R_nitTextures: 2 errors" still exists.

The fix Ribbiks posted works for me in PrBoom+. I'd say the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps are both screwed up, so delete them and start again.

So the problem was that XWE fucked up the IWAD? This is another reason to stop using this horrible thing forever. Ditch it, ditch it, ditch it.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

I delete doom2 iwad and download it again.

That's something else to keep a backup of, instead of downloading from Steam time after time.