Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zsignal

Starting again

Hello.

A few years back I was quite active in the Doom level making scene. Since then I've been making levels for q3 and such, but now my computer is fried and I have to resort to making Doom levels again until I can afford new one.

I was using Zeth and ZDoom back then, but I see that Legacy now has both GL support, and 3D floors. But my problem is, I don't really want to have to use 1823861268458123 different programs to make 1 level with new gfx and textures again, what is the best solution for having a Deth-like editor, GL support for the port, and 3D floors (and maybe 3d models)? Browsing the board, I can't see any new editors released that are on par with editors for newer games, but that was expected.

All I want is _easy_ level editing (q3 editing has spoiled me) for Doom. And fancy new GL graphics.

Try DeepSea. It's versatile and powerful, but it's limited shareware.
I don't like it really myself, maybe it's too many-sided. =) DETH is my favourite.

Don't bother with Legacy, wait for the new ZDoomGL...

Legacy is ok i guess, but not as cool as ZDoom. Oh yeah, I really liked Securitron too. Please don't go back to Q3! Q3 sucks balls IMO (but I am not really a multiplayer fanatic...)

If you want to use true 3d floors, you could also think about using EDGE. It looks like there will be a new version on the way.

zsignal said:

A few years back I was quite active in the Doom level making scene.....I have to resort to making Doom levels again. All I want is _easy_ level editing ... And fancy new GL graphics.

Welcome back, Stian. Wondered where you had gone to. I've been putting your sky textures (skypack1, 2, and 3) to good use in my levels. Check out Piper at the Gates of DooM for screenies that show off those skies.

DeepSea is an all-in-one editor that offers map editing as well as lump management. Never tried it on Legacy, but it works great with ZDooM. However, it's shareware. XWE is another all-in-one editor, but some of it is still under development. It's free.

If you just want a map editor try WadAuthor -- it's stable and versatile. It's shareware too.

You'll have to wait until ZDooM GL is stable if you want GL graphics in ZDooM. Otherwise ports such as Legacy, JDooM, and EDGE should suit your purpose.

Thank you for your replies.

I think I will stick with ZDooM, if ZdooM GL is coming out of beta(?).

I might go back and re-organize the mess that is Securitron 3, and extract the levels and some textures. I will rebuild the levels of course. But I don't think I will keep the monsters, as I don't want to touch that 2d stuff until I'm good at 3d modelling and skinning.

Oh and ReX, love that you're utilizing my skies :) I'm downloading your levels to play now, Temple of the Ancients looks great.

Zdoom really has a lot of things that can be easily manipulated, which is why I lile Zdoom so much.

Also the ACS scripting system is brilliant.

Stick with ZDoom. Check out the latest beta, heapsa kewl new shit added. Speaking of ZDoom, I should finish this map I'm working on, it's gonna redefine what can and can't be done with ACS...