Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SandGator

Another Blood thread

Just got Blood through GOG, having never played it before. Love it, LOL WHO ELSE HERE REMEMBERS THIS GAME, etc.

I'd love it even more if I could play with mouse aiming and WASD movement. Is there a ZDoom equivalent I can run it through or something?

Nope, sorry.

Jason Hall made a big fuss when he said he wanted to make a source port, but then Atari decided to go on a big bankruptcy spree and froze all ongoing negotiations about opening the source code and/or letting Jace do what he wanted with it.

Then there's the XL engine which will one day get Blood support; but that's not the developer's current focus, so who knows how long it'll be before BloodXL happens.

In the meantime, you have a wide choice between vanilla Blood, the original exe, and not using a source port. :P

Lame. Thanks for the quick answer Gez, now we can get around to the real business of this thread -- masturbatory nostalgia.

No doubt we'll get to that. But nostalgia aside, I'm still continually impressed by the first secret of the first level, the one where you get the TNT, because it's revealed by a moving sector. Probably shows how much time I spend in Doom. I really wish we had that...

Sometimes the Build engine looks pretty sexy. Shame there's no Build Builder.

SandGator said:

I'd love it even more if I could play with mouse aiming and WASD movement.

So...play it that way then?

schwerpunk said:

Sometimes the Build engine looks pretty sexy.

Yeah, sometimes it can, but most of the time it doesn't. Even as much as I like blood and shadow warrior, they are just clunky as fuck to use and play in about every capacity even with dosbox and various 'launchers' people have made. This is all the more apparent with the inevitable comparison with modern doom ports. Truthfully, it really puts into perspective just how much work source port authors have put into doom over the years. It's a real shame the build games won't see the same thing.

Quast said:

Yeah, sometimes it can, but most of the time it doesn't. Even as much as I like blood and shadow warrior, they are just clunky as fuck to use and play in about every capacity even with dosbox and various 'launchers' people have made. This is all the more apparent with the inevitable comparison with modern doom ports. Truthfully, it really puts into perspective just how much work source port authors have put into doom over the years. It's a real shame the build games won't see the same thing.

eDuke32 is pretty sophisticated. I wish Shadow Warrior would get the same treatment, though; JonoF's port is pretty dated.

I remember it as a game with graphics so damn ugly that it makes Wolf3D look like a gorgeous 21 year-old supermodel, even though that game is several years older. :D

188DarkRevived said:

I remember it as a game with graphics so damn ugly that it makes Wolf3D look like a gorgeous 21 year-old supermodel, even though that game is several years older. :D

Couldn't disagree more.

The game allows you to change to WASD controls just fine. Just run the SETUP program and customize to your heart's content.

Ahhh, that's what I needed. I'm definitely not too savvy with these things, and curl into a fetal position if I don't have the ability to adjust controls in the in-game menu.

Yep, Blood visuals look cartoonish and pretty dismal. The graphics seemingly have a pronounced hand-drawn characteristic to them, exacerbated even more by a horrible washed-up palette. I would go further and say that when compared to Blood, Duke3d conveys a certain, almost photographic crispness to me, with its much more saturated colors. Doom palette is also superior in this respect.

A couple of words on topic. All vanilla Build engine games have pretty funky mouse input code, in particular being unable to sample both axes' movement simultaneously. Also, with default settings you may find vertical sensitivity being lower than horisontal and overall more clunky. Here you can download a custom mouse driver to alleviate these faults to some degree. (warning: the page might cause your eyes bleed :) )

Dragonsbrethren said:

Please tell me that page design and text is an intentional parody of 90s websites.

I really miss those days.

Out of the box, Blood is simply the best game I've ever played. Its theming, music, gameplay, weapon/monster/difficulty balance and especially level design are just the best.

I want to believe...

Also, I've tried BMOUSE and it hasn't really done anything for me. Although perhaps that's because I haven't taken the time to look into the more advanced setup parameters.

SandGator said:

I'd love it even more if I could play with mouse aiming and WASD movement.

Huh? This doesn't already exist?

Want my config?

schwerpunk said:

Also, I've tried BMOUSE and it hasn't really done anything for me. Although perhaps that's because I haven't taken the time to look into the more advanced setup parameters.

Send me your config, and continue your troubleshooting here.

Btw, did you look at this?

I am sorry you are having so many troubles :[

Archy said:

Huh? This doesn't already exist?

Yeah, did it through DOSBox, thanks. I never use DOSBox, since the only other game that old I play from the 90's is Doom, which I run through ZDoom, so I didn't even think of it. I just looked in the options of the game itself. Whoooooops. Anyway, problem solved, so now we can all just talk about the game some more. Which, WASD or no, I suck at.

Mordeth said:

Out of the box, Blood is simply the best game I've ever played. Its theming, music, gameplay, weapon/monster/difficulty balance and especially level design are just the best.

I can't disagree with you there, I've been finding it much more enjoyable than Doom lately.

I kind of wish there was more types of demons than just Tchernobog though, I don't think cerberus and the gargoyles count as demons.

ZDoom equivalent? All I can think of is ZBlood (There's quite a few differences though). It's a real shame that Atari wouldn't give Jace the go ahead for the source code launch, as I would've loved to have messed around with it and come up with a little editor or something. Still, Mapedit is not a bad tool to use.