Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Your thoughts on Killing Floor

So with the Humble Bundle selling Killing Floor for $3 I decided now is the time to buy it and play it. It has always looked interesting, quirky and fun. I see my Steam friends play it plenty, just not nearly as much as Team Fortress 2.

I was wondering what is the Doomunity's opinion of Killing Floor. They even have a Doom 3 creatures mod.

I was always a huge fan of 2k4s invasion and the invasion pro mod, which I might add have monster ports from a ton of games, doom 3 included. I never understood killing floor even though the concept is exactly the same, the combat just seems sluggish and I'm definitely not a fan of the class/upgrade system.

It took me a while to warm up to it, but I really enjoy the game. Playing it with good friends is always a good time, and it can be pretty tricky on the harder difficulties, which makes things interesting.

I despise Killing Floor. Bought it after reading praises comparing it to L4D and the like, only to find out it's a glorified survival mode, lacking any storyline or atmosphere, with poor weapon feel, flat and boring level design (even by survival standards), and awful, awful slow motion seemingly forced on you at random times. Sluggish is indeed a good way to describe the combat.

Admittedly, I played for all of twenty minutes or so before I threw up my hands in disgust, and went at it solo; so, perhaps some of my complaints are inaccurate or can be fixed with some tweaks and mods, and perhaps the game is better with friends.

Phml said:

and perhaps the game is better with friends

I've given up on several coop-centric games after only playing them in solo (Borderlands, L4D, that other sandbox shooter from a couple of years ago set on a zombie-infested island which I can't remember the name of), being mindful that they might be more enjoyable with friends.

I'd argue that a good shooter should be equally enjoyable in singleplayer as it is in multiplayer/coop, though. Playing against bots in Q3A or UT provides a fun experience, even if those games were conceptually intended to be played with other human beings (and perhaps work at their absolute best when played as such).

Enjay said:

:/

I think it's supposed to be a portmanteau of "Doom" and "Community".

The IGC Server is a fucking blast. 35 people vs 800 zombies + per wave with new weapons like M249 SAWs, lightsabers, personal Doom 3 sentry drones (and white version of one that acts as a drone medic), new enemies, and hundreds of maps on the serve to choose from?

That alone makes this an amazingly fun game. I don't mind the slower combat, the perk systems on different servers sort of fix that, if you want to run fast, just be a medic because they're the fastest of all the classes. I honestly love Killing Floor.

DoomUK said:

I think it's supposed to be a portmanteau of "Doom" and "Community".

I know. That's why I :/

I've spent 500+ hours on Killing Floor over time ever since it came out in 2009.

It's a pretty solid game, although you will have to get used to a few technical quirks (hitbox detection can be questionable at times, there's a few tricks you can pull off on enemies). I've only stopped playing because I have all the perks at level 6 and have "burnt out" on playing the game, especially after getting all the long wave map achievements for Normal/Hard mode. This game is great fun with 5 other friends and there's a nice variety of weapons, maps and enemies.

If you pick this game up cheap, I'd strongly recommend it. Just be sure to have a good tolerance of British humour audio-wise.

I used to play it quite often. It's not a bad game, definitely a good way to kill some time.

I wanted to do some level design for it, but then my laptop decided to commit seppuku on me.

This shit crashes on me and it pisses me off that it has done do more than once, hence just sitting in my Steam library collecting e-dust..