DoomUK

What decade did you grow up in?

What decade did you grow up in?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What decade did you grow up in?

• I grew up in the same decade I was born in
    • I grew up during the subsequent decade
    • Impse

Why do people tend to say they grew up in the same decade they were born in? It's common parlance, but I wonder how often it's said in a literal sense?

I was born in 1982, and since my memories didn't even start forming until ~1986-87 I can't say I experienced much of the culture and politics of that decade firsthand. It seems more realistic to say that I grew up in the 90's, because that's a period which I remember much more distinctly, and I was more involved with the world during that time (secondary [high] school, college, first job etc.)

Even if I was born in 1980, and was old enough to appreciate what was going on in the world before 1990 rolled in, did I stop growing up by the age of 10?

I was born in 1989, which was the last year of communism here, immediately followed by an overthrowing revolution. It should be well understood that I had NO memory whatsoever of those times, so I pretty much grew up in the 90s, with Wolf3d, Doom, Diablo, Starcraft, Michael Jackson and overall great music.

Coopersville said:

Born in 1987, but I recognize myself as more of a "90s-kid".

The exact same, here. Impse.

80's child. Still hate thatcher. Grew up in a very politically charged environment, was aware that John Major was fucking us from the age of 5 upwards. Also, hose pipe bans.

Strangely I never really got into music until my university years. I assume that is because the 80's were completely shite and without merit.

darknation said:

Strangely I never really got into music until my university years. I assume that is because the 80's were completely shite and without merit.

Smiths? Pixies? Cure? Roses? Joy Division?

Still more of a 90s boy here, but I was born in 81 so I do remember the 80s too.

This poll needs a "both" option.

Was born in 82. While I did most of my growing up in the 90s like most kids born in the 80s, I have always had a very good recall of things that happened to me, so I have all kinds of strong memories of things back until 1984 or so. I also didn't talk until I was three and a half, so remembering the time before I could talk is pretty weird.

I liked music when I was little so lots of 80s music is flashback inducing for me. Same goes for TV shows. Sometimes things I didn't understand at all made an impression and stuck with me (Star Trek: TNG, for example). I think 90s music mostly sucks.

I've noticed since that I've started liking things from the 70s a lot. Not sure why. I was never there. Maybe there was enough 70s stuff left over in the 80s for it to imprint on me? Maybe I'm just attracted to weird, ugly things. (Sorry 70s people; your time was full of ugly consumer stuff. Cool music, though.)

The first event in the world I noticed was the Challenger exploding. The news stories about the investigation scared me even though I didn't understand what was going on for a while. The first event outside my city I was ever able to process in any way was the earthquake in San Francisco in 1989. I missed the Cold War (except for seeing Bush and Gorbachev on TV a couple times), but the Gulf War seemed kind of neat when I was in grade 2.

born nov 6 1996, grew up in just 4 years and was playing Doom by age 3 for the playstation, I think it dehumanized me.

mrthejoshmon said:

born nov 6 1996, grew up in just 4 years and was playing Doom by age 3 for the playstation, I think it dehumanized me.

How'd you get into it? Older sibling?

I was born in 1987. I don't Think I have any memories Before 1991.

born in 1990. I grew up in the 90s and hated a lot of things (for example music)
Unfortunately the music in the noughties and especially this decade have somehow eclipsed this.
Somehow the boybands back then were better than the music we have today.
Games wise simple, most of the games we have today originate from the nineties including doom. Games I love such as rollercoaster tycoon, theme hospital, and command and conquer (especially red alert 2) were relaesed in this decade so for that I do respect the decade I grew up in.
Films, meh there are always good/bad films what ever decade, probably the most impartial part time wise.
@darknation, for the love of god don't mention hosepipe bans, the last time that happened where I live literally got 8 months of constant rain and flooding :P btw that was last year haha.

Born in 1984 and having vague memories about being a citizen of the Soviet Union.
But I'm proud to say that I grew up in the 1990s when things like movies and books and games were all original for the most part. Remakes and reboots were not common at all and were not welcomed. And fortunately there was no Half-Life and no Halo and no Call of Duty whatsoever to taint my utopia. Amen to the old days.

Born in the 50s and grew up in the 60s. Still remember the live telecast of Armstrong setting foot on the Moon.

Born in 1982, grew up during 1985-86 and during the 90s when shit was actually pretty cool.

The 90s were OK for music some legitimate scenes were around then. Baggy and acid house bled over from the 80s, which was pretty superficial but quite fun, Dr Dre's hold on hip hop was prominent and trip hop became a thing. Dance music in general went through some cool phases in the 90s with Massive Attack, Leftfield, the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Aphex Twin. Basement Jaxx and Fat Boy slim did some good stuff too. In rock/indie we had grunge in the early 90s in America and a little later Britpop, which basically took over the country like no scene in England ever had since. From 98 I admit things went a bit shit. Britney Spears happened and manufactured acts became the norm again. There was still some cool stuff - Belle and Sebastian, Shack, Beta Band - but you had to look harder to find it.

purist said:

[90's pop music was generally good]

It was also a good decade for metal, despite it being the era when crap like Korn, Coal Chamber and Limp Bizkit started the whole nu-metal movement. Nevertheless, most of my favourite metal albums were wrought during the 90's.

I grew up in the 90's but didn't get a computer until the 2000-2001. Still it was a shitty 486 so I got to experience a lot of classic titles. That's also when I found out of Doom. I distinctly remember that even then I seemed to hold Doom 1 in higher regard than Doom 2 because of the level design. Oh and you should have seen me when I realized that the monsters are demons lol. I wrote shitty stories about how Doomguy was an evil satanist and was going to hell and how Duke Nukem was hunting him because of this(grew up in a religious family). Ironically Duke Nukem was the one with more questionable morals. Also really loved Heroes and Might and Magic, Age of Empires, Warcraft 1 and 2 and Warcraft 3 blew me out of my mind. Also loved a lot of adventure games even though I sucked at them. Quest for Glory 4 and Legend of Kyrandia have a special place in my heart. Oh and I was a HUUGE fan of Mortal Kombat, especially of Raiden and Sub-Zero. Ah yes and there was this very charming platformer called Prehistorik... Aaaah, I'd love to be a little kid again :'(

Born in 1987 but grew up in the 90s. Got my first computer when I was five years old and it had Wolfenstein 3d on it. I also enjoyed the hell out of the nintendo, super nintendo and sega genesis.