Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

doom 3 bfg edition and what i think.

DooM 3.
The first time i played it i thought it had super graphics.
It was a demo with an elevator that got smashed by a monster on top, And i was sold. The sad part is, that i never finished that game...

Now i have bought the bfg edition and it has a superb black cardboard box,and i was hoping to find pure ownage.

To my suprise the graphics where nearly untouched, and the gameplay was not so scary as i found the original to be. But the best thing about the bfg edition probably is the fact that they found ways to remove the micro stutter and made it play as smooth as any other game.

Another thing i seem to notice is the fact that the darkness and shadow are decreased, maybe to improve visibillity ?

The weapons, well i would rather fire with a slingshot at monsters instead of using these toys that have the amazing abillity to scrath an itch on one of the zombies or imps...

But all in all i love it, and i think it is a perfect re-release.

This is the only game in existence that i can not finish because of the horror aspect... normally i enjoy, laugh, and torture enemy AI's in horror games but this game has the abbility to make me end it after 15 minutes...

The game would be a game that i can recomend to all those gamers looking for something different, optimized, and with a dark and gloomy atmosphere. the re-release deserves more screen time.

FireFish said:

DooM 3.
The first time i played it i thought it had super graphics.
It was a demo with an elevator that got smashed by a monster on top, And i was sold. The sad part is, that i never finished that game...

Now i have bought the bfg edition and it has a superb black cardboard box,and i was hoping to find pure ownage.

To my suprise the graphics where nearly untouched, and the gameplay was not so scary as i found the original to be. But the best thing about the bfg edition probably is the fact that they found ways to remove the micro stutter and made it play as smooth as any other game.

Another thing i seem to notice is the fact that the darkness and shadow are decreased, maybe to improve visibillity ?

The weapons, well i would rather fire with a slingshot at monsters instead of using these toys that have the amazing abillity to scrath an itch on one of the zombies or imps...

But all in all i love it, and i think it is a perfect re-release.

This is the only game in existence that i can not finish because of the horror aspect... normally i enjoy, laugh, and torture enemy AI's in horror games but this game has the abbility to make me end it after 15 minutes...

The game would be a game that i can recomend to all those gamers looking for something different, optimized, and with a dark and gloomy atmosphere. the re-release deserves more screen time.

Are, you serious? I never found this game to be scary. In fact no game can scare me (except maybe Amnesia) but in real life I'm still afraid of the dark lol.

And yes, I think it's a good rerelease but the PC gamers should have gotten all the goodies for free seeing how we already have the damn game. Just wait until you get to the last Hell levels in the new pack, they are very good.

All the changes to Doom 3 this version did was make it too much easier besides adding a new generic short episode, I don't need it and I'm happy enough with my original copies of Doom 3 and ROE, that's all I have to say about it.

Avoozl said:

All the changes to Doom 3 this version did was make it too much easier besides adding a new generic short episode, I don't need it and I'm happy enough with my original copies of Doom 3 and ROE, that's all I have to say about it.

I agree about the ammo. Every level except the last two are pretty crap. Oh well, at least they are full of action.

you would be surprised, i have visited many forums, and i read about games non stop... and i am all but the only one that gets nervous
(not afraid, lol) in doom 3 gameplay...
i repeat : the only game in existence that manages to do that.

Doom 3 used to manage to make me jump before I knew where all the stupid monster closets were, but now I just go into a primal rage blasting the heaviest weapons I have so I can see those goddamn imps spiral through the air while they gurgle their death moans.

Avoozl said:

a new generic short episode

The Lost Mission is worth playing through if you're interested in Doom 3 level design. Its levels have some interesting interconnecting hallways and some nice visual touches. But for everyone else who just want to play a fun FPS... yeah, it's utterly forgettable.

DoomUK said:

The Lost Mission is worth playing through if you're interested in Doom 3 level design. Its levels have some interesting interconnecting hallways and some nice visual touches. But for everyone else who just want to play a fun FPS... yeah, it's utterly forgettable.

Hmm, can you give me an example of interesting level design in the tech bases? Not only they are mostly linear with few secrets, they also put way too much ammo and are generally literal copy pastes of previous levels.

I didn't say they were good. They're definitely very linear, and made even easier than the Doom 3 levels with the abundance of health and ammo laying around. I can't recall precisely which level had what, and I don't want to reinstall BFG just to prove my point, but suffice it to say the tech levels just have some nice aspects to them - interesting corridor intersections, extra layers of detail on things, etc.

The copypasting didn't bother me, either. It makes sense in-universe if different parts of the base have similar-looking or identical architecture, and it's a mapping technique that's probably used more often than we realise in all kinds of games.

DoomUK said:

I didn't say they were good. They're definitely very linear, and made even easier than the Doom 3 levels with the abundance of health and ammo laying around. I can't recall precisely which level had what, and I don't want to reinstall BFG just to prove my point, but suffice it to say the tech levels just have some nice aspects to them - interesting corridor intersections, extra layers of detail on things, etc.

The copypasting didn't bother me, either. It makes sense in-universe if different parts of the base have similar-looking or identical architecture, and it's a mapping technique that's probably used more often than we realise in all kinds of games.

As far as detail goes, there were those long and yellow lights on the walls. I think choosing the color yellow was a great decision because it gives the world some life in it. There was also this red corridor with neat shadow effects. It was like they were saying "hey look, our lighting system is still one of the best". I sadly don't recall any other interesting bits in the tech levels save a secret in the second level where if you shoot an imp under you, he opens the way to a secret in which another secret is located. That felt very Doom and it's such a shame there wasn't more stuff like this.

Well, I guess the copypasting does make sense. I mean the Enpro sector would be a level above the one from Vanilla Doom 3. I guess that's ok, but the majority of the expansion feels a bit half-assed, and I don't want to forgive them for that.

DoomUK said:

The industry calls them 'prefabs'.