Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thunderstrike

Black screen on PrBoom+?

Everytime I try to open a WAD with PrBoom+, I just get a black screen. The music is playing, the demos are playing and the gameplay also seems to be fine (I can hear it), but this black screen doesn't go away, no matter what I do. Any ideas?

I'm experiencing this as well, it only affects GLBoom+. In addition, this only happens on my crappy old 2007 computer. On my new 2013 computer GLBoom+ works perfectly.

I suspect this might be caused by one of the recent Windows updates, because GLBoom+ was working on my old computer immediately after I reinstalled Windows 7 (before I installed any updates) about 2 weeks ago.

Old Computer (PrBoom+ works, GLBoom+ doesn't)
Celeron M 520 1.6 GHz processor
Graphics Media Accelerator 950 integrated graphics
2GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1

New Computer (GLBoom+ and PrBoom+ both work)
A6-4400M 2.7 GHz processor
Radeon HD 7520G integrated graphics
4GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1

I did some testing on my old computer, GZDoom experiences this black screen error as well. ZDoom doesn't.

Now I'm certain this is caused by a recent Windows update, this wasn't happening a few days ago and the only changes I made to my old computer since then was downloading and installing updates for Windows 7.

Doom_user said:

In addition, this only happens on my crappy old 2007 computer.

Wait for it....wait for it...

Doom_user said:

Graphics Media Accelerator 950 integrated graphics

...and theeeere's your killah!

"BUT MEAS, L0L, IT WORKED BEFORE!".

Well, no shit, Sherlock. Only that there are no guarantees with Intel Integrated Crap. It might work with some games on a whim, and other times it just won't. The only thing it's guaranteed to work with is 2D graphics, videos, and software rendering in general, so the safest option is to use that.

OpenGL/Direct3D mode is software-emulated on this low-end crap anyway, so you gain nothing in terms of speed by using it. The only "advantage" is that it gives you the ability to play some games that require OpenGL/Direct3D, some of the time, but with absolutely no hardware support for anything beyond DirectX 7-level features, and no driver-level guarantees either.