Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

Jimmy91 said:

Hellish Godzilla: "Contemplate"'s pretty damn good. :D I think it just needs a little extra repetition in the lead melodies to make sure they're catchy.

"Sepulchral" has definitely improved. Just needs a couple of tweaks here and there. Though I don't want to keep harrassing you to change it when I can't really describe what I think needs changing. Maybe I'll tweak it a bit myself, if I have your permission?

You have my permission, though I think I know where at least one or two problems might lie. The drums might need to be beefed up during the heavy parts, for one thing. The music box has proved a bit tricky for me for some reason, too, so I'm not sure I did much better the second time around. Feel free to wring the changes you think are necessary. I'll see what I can do for Contemplate in the meantime.

Hey Jimmy, is there any chance of a 'beta' version being whacked together sometime soon? I'd really like to hear these MIDs cranking in-game, even if some of them still need a few tweaks, or some are missing. Only if you all think this is a good idea, though. I feel like we all might be able to give more concise opinions about the tracks if I hear them in context :)

EDIT: Oh, uh, DERP - There's already a list of all of them in order on the first post. Any objections to me (or whoever) simply compiling them?

Good call, Doomkid. :P I just updated all the tracks on the archive and bundled everything we have together.

http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/WAD/PlutoniaMIDIPack-alpha.wad

This WAD should include all the proper, most up-to-date versions of the tracks, as well as the latest WIP ones (which are listed on the first post if you're wondering if a map's track sounds unfinished).

I've also taken the liberty of adding the unassigned tracks to the following slots. These aren't final by any means but they seemed to fit the maps well in my head.

MAP01: Death Mask (Lippeth)
MAP03: 26 (stewboy)
MAP06: Pluvious (Bucket)
MAP08: Tower of Fire (Jimmy)
MAP10: Rise (Doomhuntress)
MAP16: Run 'Em, Gun 'Em, Kill 'Em (Jimmy)
MAP18: Fire Hive (Jimmy)
MAP24: Plusfort (Bucket)

Maps currently missing tracks are MAP14, MAP20, MAP23, MAP30. I really want to use yakfak's first MIDI (the one he originally wrote for Bunker) but I'm not sure where it'll fit.

Which actually puts things into perspective now. We're still waiting on a couple of tracks from the likes of PRIMEVAL and stewboy, but we've already got a sufficient number of tracks to fill the majority of the maplist. Which is fantastic. :D

Okay, I may have had a beer or two, but.. When playing Plutonia with these MIDIs, I was like "Oh shit.. Final Doom, it's.. it's complete"

Everyone here has done an awesome job of creating suitable DOOM tracks, and I've listened to them all the way through, in game. Once the volume levels on some are corrected, I honestly haven't got any criticisms - everyone here seems to be good musicians in one way or another and it shows in this pack. I do have a few thoughts on a more broad spectrum, though.

Maps 28 and 30.. Contain 2 of the most legendary Doom tracks. None of us are able to top Bobby's ability to suit DOOM - or maybe it's just my nostalgia, but I don't think so. Honestly, these tracks are so minimalistic, yet so effective with their moody, dark atmosphere. I got chills truly listening to them both again just then, even though I've heard them literally thousands of times before. If anyone can put MIDIs in to replace these suitably, I'd be incredibly stoked.

I'm really impressed - this project is great, and is also a nice way for everyone to show what they can do outside of the doom-specific spectrum.

Long shory stort: Great stuff, guys.

Edited by Doomkid

MAP32's track is pretty fucking cool. Nobody Told Me They're Going to Get You!
All future attempts at playing Plutonia by me will be accompanied with this WAD.

I'm gonna make a change or two to MAP12. It's very quiet compared to the others, I think all the notes are set to volume 50. I guess 100 will be loud enough :P

There might be some other things to do too regarding the solos. I'll see what I can find.

Jimmy91 said:

Maps currently missing tracks are MAP14, MAP20, MAP23, MAP30. I really want to use yakfak's first MIDI (the one he originally wrote for Bunker) but I'm not sure where it'll fit.

Map31 should also be missing a track right now. I abandoned that slot in favour of Map29, and I don't feel that "Pandaemon" should be used. If somebody wants to come up with a new track for Cyberden, they should go ahead.

I feel that "Pluvious" and "Plus Fort" should be swapped. MAP06 has more frantic closed-arena fighting, and MAP24 is open and disjointed.

After playing through the alpha, MAP10 and MAP12's music feel incredibly out of place.

Bucket said:

Here's a song for MAP14.

Title: "Plugged In"
Length: 2m41s
Size: 14.7 KB
http://speedy.sh/ZZ9gc/plut14.mid

I feel like it's missing something. If anyone wants to try to polish it up, keep in mind that in the spirit of Bobby Prince it was "heavily inspired" by this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnSMUITNaKA

I know exactly what I want to do with this. I'd call it done as it stands, but I hear something that I want to do in it. Pretty much only the drums. Minute changes, hopefully it'll tie it all together.

I can almost see Phil Collins playing that middle part, so I'll leave the mini drum solo alone.

I think the victory music works better with MAP30.

Lippeth said:

I can almost see Phil Collins playing that middle part

<_<
>_>

I've expanded on Contemplate so that's it almost a minute longer than before. Hopefully it's still good: http://www.mediafire.com/?t5qirdok818vbkk

Also, if no one else minds, I've started a track that I think should work for Map30. I have an idea that I'm really eager to try out. If nothing else, the result should be good enough for someone else to expand on. On that note, I'm still curious to see if anyone's going to play with Nihility's Edge. Any takers? Again, you can have a co-writing credit if you do: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8cwnufh7qa49wth

the second half part is really neat.

After hearing it, I tried goofing it around.

I think it would work really well if you had it transition into something like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39292814/hredit.mid

would be cool for a map 30 perhaps? Actually i sorta messed some things up but eh

If not, would you mind if I used this for an unrelated project?

Demo version of MAP28 track, map04 fix will come sooner because I don't know what to fix there - I made the bass sound better, but if I change/remove the choir, it sounds not enough "juicy" (dunno how to explain it better, my english is bad) as the map.
If map28 track is a piece of crap, just don't put it to the pack and tell me what to fix :)

Mr. Freeze said:

Sure, what do you have?

Do you have anything started? :)

I like Bucket's original horror.mid. Just putting this out there, it is totally perfect for map30. The changed version with drums is pretty cool, but I don't think it's very suiatable. It now almost sounds like a stage from the Aladdin SNES game.

Actually I think I'm not ready yet to contribute to something like this yet. I'm too new to midi's and anything I compose for map01 doesn't feel like it belongs there. Lippeth's "Death Mask" will fit way better into map01 than anything I can come up with, so just take me out of the list.

Oh, damn, I let loads of stuff happen without saying anything. D:

Doomkid92: Really glad you think that. :D

Mr. Freeze: Updated your title track. :) I'm also really loving your MAP13 track. I might add some stuff onto it myself if you need some help with it. :P Also I agree with you about "Rise" being used for MAP10's music, though I'm not sure where else it'll fit. Honestly, it's no great shakes if we get some overflow (and I think we will), so I'll definitely bundle this with the pack, even if it's not included in the roster.

Eris Falling: Ah, yes, I think I noticed that but forgot to bring it up. If you could correct the volumes on your MIDI it would be great. :)

Hellish Godzilla: Oh, my mistake. Fixed - that's no longer in the MAP31 slot on the archive. Also "Contemplate" has shaped up really nicely. I'm thinking it could go virtually anywhere in the mapset because it sounds very "all-purpose". It'll stay as MAP25's track for now, though. I'm interested to hear your MAP30 track whenever it's ready. :)

Bucket: Alrighty, you're the maker of those MIDIs, so consider those slots swapped. :) "Horror"'s a really great track and I think it'd be a cracking fit for MAP30, if that's what you intended it for. "Plugged In" is also great (and catchy!), though I'm not sure that it entirely fits the gloomy atmosphere of MAP14. Maybe it would be better as MAP10's track? I'm sure we'll find a home for "Plucked and Hammered" because it's sounding very nice so far, and perhaps just needs someone to finish it off, particularly flesh out that middle section.

ClumsyDoomer: I like MAP28's track a lot. Nice and creepy. I think the harp flourishes are a little bit weird and could probably be toned down, and the similar things that the choirs are doing are fine as they are but could probably stand to be pushed down in volume a bit. Otherwise it's a really great track and certainly fitting for The Sewers. Also +1 for the name. xP

Flamen0d: I agree that Lippeth's MIDI fits better, but I also actually like your song quite a lot - despite it being not that Doomy. I don't know if it'll find a place in the roster, but I'd like to include it with the MIDI pack anyway, along with any other "overflow" tracks that we end up with. :) If this is okay with you, of course.

---

Okay, here's an update on how things are going. The first post has been updated to reflect this.

Almost all the slots are filled. This is very good. :D

We are awaiting 3 tracks for the following mapslots.

MAP20: stewboy
MAP23: PRIMEVAL
MAP30: Hellish Godzilla

So some updates from those users concerning their work for those slots would be appreciated. :)

We have 7 tracks that still need finishing, either by their owners, or anyone else willing to step up.

MAP04: Claustrophobia [ClumsyDoomer]
MAP05: Sepulchural [Hellish Godzilla]
MAP13: Untitled (MAPXX) [Mr. Freeze]
MAP25: Contemplate [Hellish Godzilla]
MAP28: Dead Plumber's Song [ClumsyDoomer]
Plucked and Hammered [Bucket]
Nihility's Edge [Hellish Godzilla]

---

We have 4 tracks that are still unassigned. If they're not, they'll go into the pack as "overflow" tracks that won't be included in the new soundtrack.

D_MESSG2.mid [yakfak]
Rise [Doomhuntress]
Plucked and Hammered [Bucket]
Horror [Bucket]

We have 3 mapslots (listed in the first post) which don't have tracks assigned to them yet.

MAP10: Onslaught
MAP30: The Gateway of Hell
MAP31: Cyberden

We have two abandoned tracks, "Escape" and "Pandaemon", which look like they won't be finished, but it would seem a shame not to include them, so providing its authors are okay with the idea, they'll be included as overflow tracks.

Well done, you guys! We're nearly there. Just one final push of getting stuff done and assigning tracks to appropriate slots and we should be there. :D

Volume balancing is coming with the second version. I'll try and get round to uploading that over the weekend. Can't say I agree with Mr. Freeze that the track feels out of place though.

I've also been working on a sad-style song, that only uses 2 chords. Figured it would work well as a soundtrack given that many great tracks from games only use 2 chords. TNT31, E1M8, DNMP Chopper boss...
I doubt it will fit anywhere with the project, but I'll probably upload it here anyway just in case.

I'll take up MAP10 if no one else wants it. And MAP13 will be finished by the beginning of next weeek.