Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Psyonisis

Duke Nukem Forwha?

Hey everyone... this is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering about this Duke Nukem Forever business.

You see I work at Future Shop, and we just got in a whole bunch of copies of this game called Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. It's copyrighted at 2002, it uses some sort of 3d-engine, and it's a new product on our shelves. Uhm, is this Duke Nukem Forever?

No. It's a 3D sidescroller with obvious milking purposes. But hey, whatever it takes to finance the Playboy subscriptions for George Broussard and the rest of the gang.

Supposedly, it's good. But what do I know.

i believe duke 4 ever is scraped, i think this new games is just to say i am sorry but this is duke4 and it sucks. anyway i too think it is to milk money to pay for the losses duke4 has caused

Zaldron said:

No. It's a 3D sidescroller with obvious milking purposes.

Uhm, not a sidescroller from what the screenshots look like.

Sorry, the term "platformer" might work better. But yeah, it's a sequel to the old Dukes.

Psyonisis said:

Uhm, not a sidescroller from what the screenshots look like.

It's a sidescroller with a 3D engine, imagine having strafe locked on and sidestepping in Doom, that's what the engine basically looks like. deadnail references Klonoa, but I've never played that so dunno how good a comparison it is.

If you want an educated resarched answer, read this.

Duke Nukem Forever was supposed to be released back in '98 (or maybe 2000) but they never got it rolling so another company decided to make the new Duke Nukem game- Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. To tell you the truth, I don't think DN forever will ever get released.

Let's see here...Duke Nukem Forever was going to use the Quake 2 engine, right? Then they switched to the Unreal engine, which means all their previous work must be REDONE for the new engine, which will probably still take a while...so, be patient, and time will tell if Duke Nukem Forever will hit the store shelves before I am as old as fodders...

Ralphis said:

Get off my avatar you beast !

Somebody should make some Ralphis avatars from those pics in Liam's thread...

Klonoa 2 is the easiest game for me to relate the Manhatten Project to. Wild 9 or Tomba might work for you.

Basically you are playing a fully 3D game but it controls like Contra or Super Mario. You are moving on a set path.

Quite frankly I fucking adore games of this nature, 2D gameplay fucking rules. Hopefully this is how the 128 bit Castlevania will be.

Pandemonium is like the best 3D fixed path platformer I've ever seen.

Anyone that cares about a well made 2.5D first person shooter that has ample speed action and killer dm action as well. Obviously not you, of course.

Never heard about Dyke 3D. Duke3D is a good game though. Unless you're a fundamentalist.

i missed the good old days of platformer.expect some Duke1/2 nostaglia from duke:MP.i might get one if it's been shipped where i live.

Nuno Correia said:

Never heard about Dyke 3D.

(That was intentional)

Roughly translated, I hate the fucking game :P

Ralphis said:

Get off my avatar you beast !

I USED IT FIRST!!#@$@#$

honestly duke4 is done, they blew all their money on a half assed project. i heard 3d realms is, or was, almost bankrupt from it. if it ever gets released it will be out dated, terribly buggy and just plain bad, example daikatana. that game was delayed too and look how bad it sucks, saw it for $1.86 on the discount shelf. only duke4 is like a few years late instead of 2

Daikatana failed because of internal struggle. 3 different teams, the pressure of building a vast company, the hype and Romero's inexperience when dealing with management. If the game would have come 6 months after Q2, like it was supposed to it would have rocked. But yeah, it's hard to make a game WHEN YOUR FUCKING TEAM QUITS ALL AT ONCE.

3DRealms has barely changed over the years, I'm confident they've been working on the game all this time. Sadly, while I don't doubt they have talent, it looks like they're suffering from some mighty feature creep syndrome. The hype will ultimately kill the game, even if it rocks bigtime. At least they'll get some profit, that's for sure.

Zaldron said:

But yeah, it's hard to make a game WHEN YOUR FUCKING TEAM QUITS ALL AT ONCE.

Is this a dig at the old Millennium team? :P

deadnail said:

Quite frankly I fucking adore games of this nature, 2D gameplay fucking rules. Hopefully this is how the 128 bit Castlevania will be.

Yeah seriously, first person shooters are fun and all, but nothing beats a good sidescroller. I wish game companies would start making more of them instead of these crappy Tomb Raider style games. It's getting pretty stupid.

Assmaster said:

Yeah seriously, first person shooters are fun and all, but nothing beats a good sidescroller. I wish game companies would start making more of them instead of these crappy Tomb Raider style games. It's getting pretty stupid.

Platformers are good games, but imho, nothing beats an fps. The feel of really being there is what really makes the difference.