Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Download (Updated): Mill 2

I present to you, Mill 2. A vanilla compatible map that requires TNT.Wad to be played. The original Mill is one of my favourite maps, and playing though it last year inspired me to make a tribute map with a highly original title. I originally designed it mid 2012, but after 3 weeks i completely forgot all about it. However, now it's finished and ready for you guys.

The map par time is roughly 20 minutes on average, so it's somewhat large, but nonetheless i hope you enjoy it.

Also just a heads up, this map uses quite a few engine hacks such as clipping textures and bleeding flats, so best to avoid any source port that fixes these by default.

Screenshots:

If you guys encounter any bugs/glitches then by all means feel free to let me know and i'll get right on them. Any feedback is appreciated.

Updates

Bugs/glitches/issues fixed:
- Could walk through bars connecting to the yellow key door
- Could alert enemies in specific room prematurely (undesired behavior)
- Lost soul limit reached
- Unusable switch due to non-flipped linedef that caused the player to become stuck
- Could obtain yellow key early
- Sectors 583 and 588 cannot be opened
- Could gain access to sector 474 early, trapping player (although difficult).

FDA. Seems like a good and faithful remake: I think you got the main features of the original map right but added enough your own twists to make it feel unique. The only major difference is that your version feels less grand but that might be a good thing: I always thought that "Mill" was a bit oversized in some places.

One bug I noticed is that the bars near the yellow door don't block the player, so it seems like you can skip a big portion of the level if you want. Or just get the plasmagun earlier than intended.

FDA: http://www.speedyshare.com/nnsZB/mill2vdgg.lmp 2 deaths, then I got stuck, so bug report as well.

First impression: too similar to the original. Well, I liked the original very much, so I got used to the similarity, it is not such a bad thing.

I think visually it is really, really good. I liked, for instance, the STARG barriers in a section which in original TNT MAP18 had yellow key in the middle.

Gameplay is meh, as you can see. Probably the features mentioned below are present in the TNT original, I don't remember.

- lost soul limit, so the crusher room is too easy
- 2 AV fight is great, I died there twice, but if you shoot before jumping down, you can easily kill every monster from the distance (part of my demo after 2 deaths)
- How do I get the blue key?? :-)
- Why lost souls in the arachnotron area, not pain elementals?

So I think this has potential, but something might be done with the fights... Thanks for uploading.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I've fixed the passable bars that allow 3/4 of the map to be skipped, not entirely sure how i missed that one.

vdgg said:

- lost soul limit, so the crusher room is too easy
- 2 AV fight is great, I died there twice, but if you shoot before jumping down, you can easily kill every monster from the distance (part of my demo after 2 deaths)
- How do I get the blue key?? :-)
- Why lost souls in the arachnotron area, not pain elementals?

- It's true. Unfortunately i didn't take this issue into consideration, i just might fix this if a new version is needed.
- Again a good find. Might have to add 'block sound' just before the jump down.
- There are two blue keys, one is a fake and becomes inaccessible, the other is the obtainable one which is on the other side of the map. I won't spoil the rest.
- I chose lost souls instead because they looked more menacing floating around the corner in a cloud. Was simply a stylistic choice if im honest.

Haven't had the time to watch the demos yet, but i'll definitely do so some time today.

Hahaha. There was a Mill 2 in TNT2 for a while, iirc its been renamed. Dreadmill I think?

I like seeing TNT related projects, I might give this a go, it'll certainly be fun to do between Devilution tests

Thanks man.

Hopefully i'll receive more feedback so i can then upload it to idgames in confidence. Just to make sure there's no more issues. I wouldn't want any unexpected bugs after submission.

I said "I got stuck" and it is still possible. Perhaps linedef 3372 needs flipping sides?
I watched Memfis' demo and he grabbed the yellow key "earlier than intended". It may be tricky to make it impossible given little room available, but you may consider it.

I did initially flip linedef 3372, but somehow i flipped it back again to the wrong direction. Sorry about that. This is now fixed, as well as obtaining the yellow key early. I've widened the area that holds it.

The download now has the more up to date version.

Managed to miss this thread, but now that I am here this map was pretty damn good. A couple of the fights were a little brutal and probably the map needed a little more health, but sweet map all up. It is really like 'Mill Expanded' more than it is a sequel, but a lot of fun anyways.

Nice work.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Managed to miss this thread, but now that I am here this map was pretty damn good. A couple of the fights were a little brutal and probably the map needed a little more health, but sweet map all up. It is really like 'Mill Expanded' more than it is a sequel, but a lot of fun anyways.

Nice work.

Wasnt the TNT2 Mill your child? :p I think I remember seeing Mill-style screenshots really early in the thread's life

I'll be downloading this next time I'm playing Doom, need a break from crazyhard levels

Ragnor said:

Wasnt the TNT2 Mill your child? :p I think I remember seeing Mill-style screenshots really early in the thread's life

I'll be downloading this next time I'm playing Doom, need a break from crazyhard levels

Not that I have any sort of exclusive license over any past, present or future Mill sequels/tributes/expansions, but yeah, I have done a Mill 2 which will appear in TNT2.

And if you are looking for a break from crazyhard levels, then, well, let's just say this map had some pretty tough moments. I died a bunch. It is perfectly completable though, and really interesting to explore..

Literally i just slapped the name 'Mill 2' on the wad because (at the time) i couldn't come up with anything else. This map shouldn't get confused with anyone else's with the same name... Hopefully.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it though, Kiii.

If no one encounters any other problems i'll upload it to idgames soon enough. Fingers crossed it's rid of issues.

I enjoyed playing this, yet there are still some issues ...

1. Sectors 583 and 588 cannot be opened. As it stands, the player is trapped at sectors 577 and 578 and dies. Also, as a result, the player cannot activate the switches at lines 2613 and 2598.

2. It is possible to get to sector 474 without the blue key. The player just has to walk on sector 502, run to sector 441 via sector 505. This means the player is now trapped at sector 474, if the player has not got the blue key.

3. Related to point 2 ... I noticed that sector 516 does not have the same floor height as sector 517.

4. A minor point ... I thought it a bit strange that sectors 80, 81 and 56 have a floor/ceiling height of -16, since it looks odd when those doors open. I think a floor/ceiling height of 0 would look better.

Hawkwind, that's more like it!

I've fixed all those problems aside from point 3 and 4.

3. That sector was lowered due to not being needed, but i forgot to remove the sector completely. It is now removed.

4. This is a nod to the original Mill doors that surround the starting area, the doors dip into the floor. This wasn't an error but intentional.

Thanks for play testing! Shame i sent the wad to the archive yesterday, but i've just resent another updated one. Let's hope that has put a rest to anymore potential problems.

I just downloaded it; looks really good.

Have u thought about putting this map in the TNT 2 megawad that's in development?

Six said:

Now on idgames: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17159

Also a big thanks to the douche who rated my wad as 'vomit'. Much appreciated.

@LingtheDoomGuy: Nah, i'm not part of the team, plus they already have a map under the same name by Kyka.

Welcome to the internet :P
I actually thought when you put this up that you had withdrawn the map from tnt2 and released it separately. Anyway I shall play this now.
BTW Mill is one of my favourite maps from TNT so I'm looking forward to this.
Edit - I liked it, posted review on idgames