Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

doomworld book review thread

stuff you have been reading.

pygmy by chuck palahniuk

thirteen year old (?) terrorist from lulzy third world shithole comes to 'murica to blow shit up. Is implanted into american family as an foreign exchange student. gay rape in toilet by chapter two. exploding death dildo that shoots flames from the tip.

The whole 250ish pages are written in the style of your average terry post, I shit you not.

was acceptable. perhaps a bit more... generous than fight club was, is a bit more optimistic / less nihilistic. certainly more cartoonish. probably for die hard palahniuk fans only.

the reality dysfunction by somebody hamilton or some crap

1000+ page space opera about a bunch of philandering space pedophiles who manage to open a gate to hell or some crap. Starts like your normal average sci fi but with more underage rapesex, halfway through decides to become some weird horror with further overtones of underage rapesex.

The sci fi is pretty hard, the weapons / ships / bio-organic implants are all described in a fairly believable manner. alien life is handled poorly, I'm afraid to say, 40K Zoat syndrome all over this motherfucker.

I'm willing to bet there will be bio-engineered furries in the next novel. I can smell the fur faggotry reeking from this author.

the first in a three novel sequence (so 3000+ pages in total...). Monstrous bastard of a story. This man needs an editor. Surprisingly enjoyable so far, although the constant grind of the sex sequences is starting to piss me off somewhat. Buy it to kill trees and piss off greenpeace.

Heh, yeah the reality dysfunction is pretty bad. I stopped 1.5 books in or so. It had a very interesting backstory/lore, and the Main Bad Plot Thing started out very interesting - but quickly devolved into fanfiction.net sex scenes and celebrity cameos (I am not joking).

yeah, just started reading the second one and wtf al capone quoting marlon brando?

probably enjoying it because I've been reading the new Dune books, mainly to remind myself that you don't actually have to have any talent to get published. compared to the shitfeast that is paul of dune, these books are not *that* bad.

I would highly recommend staying away from the new Dune books. Even the last real Dune book got pretty bad (which was upsetting to me, because the one before it was the best in the series IMO).

I haven't read them myself, but I've learned quite a bit from the wikis about completely asinine plot elements. For example, Gaius Helen Mohiam turns out to be Paul's grandmother. The reason this is stupid is because of course Paul had ancestral memory and this would have been at least notable to Paul (Hell, he orders her execution), had Hebert intended it.

Vorpal said:

I would highly recommend staying away from the new Dune books. Even the last real Dune book got pretty bad (which was upsetting to me, because the one before it was the best in the series IMO).

I haven't read them myself, but I've learned quite a bit from the wikis about completely asinine plot elements. For example, Gaius Helen Mohiam turns out to be Paul's grandmother. The reason this is stupid is because of course Paul had ancestral memory and this would have been at least notable to Paul (Hell, he orders her execution), had Hebert intended it.

I tried reading Paul of Dune (right after Dune, mind you) but I couldn't finish it. Mainly because of the unnecessary flashbacks and Paul turning into a whiny little shit.

Trying to get into the BattleTech books whenever I read now.

Previous summer I read all the Harry Potter books. I understood them better now as my english skill is better now than 10 years ago. There could have been more than one friendly snake in the series. And did that one snake ever get to Brazil?

Then I read The Teachings of Don Juan and Separate Reality by Carlos Castaneda. I read all his books some years ago in finnish, now I have them in english. I remember the 6th book was a bit unsettling, the others were more funny.

Read this quite recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Man_Dies_Alone

Although it was the English translation titled "Alone in Berlin".

I found it a very interesting read, inspired by a true story - though not a telling of it. The delivery was quite unusual; most of it was written relatively dispassionately and in a "matter of fact" kind of style. I felt that worked very well in this case. The book made me consider aspects of living in Hitler's Germany that I hadn't really thought about before. A relatively easy read and worth picking up if you are at all interested in life during that era.

The Radley's by Matt Higg - funny story about a family of Vampires who tried to live a normal life, like humans, but eventually ran into trouble when their daughter took a bite of a boy's arm and started devouring his intestines.

Haven't read it all so can't give a full review on it.

I read:

Nevan said:

Vampires.

and lost interest, but then I read:

Nevan also said:

devouring his intestines

:)

Some graphic shizz like that, from what I remember, but yeah! I'll probably start the book again to learn the story again. It's a fun read.

Enjay said:

Read this quite recently:

"Alone in Berlin".

if you're interested in that I'd recommend Fatherland by somebody Harris (I think...)

fictional novel set in Germany after WW2, the premise being 'what if hitler won, what would berlin look like, the evolution of the guestapo into a peacetime secret police force' etc etc etc. It's not bad.

Just finished the Neutronium Alchemist, the novel set after The Reality Dysfunction. Really not that great, the main character is still humping his way across the universe and nothing of interest really happens. I assume it's all setup for the third novel, in which mary sue the spaceman meets The Sleeping God, presumably so he can shag it.