Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

What's your favourite Wolfenstein game?

I remember downloading and playing Beyond Castle Wolfenstein a few years ago when it became freeware, all though I haven't bothered finishing it yet. I Think I played through the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D quite a few years ago. I should play through the second and third episodes too now that it's become browser-based freeware. My uncle and I played though Return to Castle Wolfenstein when it was released. I also played through the demo of Wolfenstein (the 2009 game).

I "purchased" wolf 2009, and while linear and terribad story/voice acting... the gameplay is an absolute blast for me. If it ever goes on sale again I'm totally buying it.

Well, let's see... from all wolfenstein games my personal favorite was RTCW, but I still would make a wolfenstein reboot in a different way if I could.

----------------------------------------
Wolfenstein 3D (wolf3D) was a excellent shooter for it's time. While it used a very limited engine it was a lot of fun to shoot your way through the levels, getting better equipament, hunting for keys and killing big bosses at the end of an episode. They tried to avoid making the leves look all the same by changing textures and adding new enemies each new episode (except the Nocturnal Missions expansion). The story was also very interesting to read between some levels and I believe it had potential to be better adapted on a modern reboot.

Now, today it may still be good as a quick pastime but evidently it hasn't aged as well as it's successors did. On the other hand, there's some stand alone mods that managed to be better than the original game with features like destructible pillars, triple and quadruple barreled chainguns and artifacts, with more detailed maps and other stuff. I higly recommend Spear Ressurrection (download the sdl version - original maps first, the new maps are like a expansion pack) and Spear End of Destiny (I like to cal this one Spear Ressurrection 2 - there's a beta sdl version somewhere).

PS: Wolf3d had an official expansion pack called Spear of Destiny on which the mods where inspired by.

Return To Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW) is my favorite from the 3 and the one I most replayed. This game had some features that were originally intended for the first wolfenstein by iD. Now you could complete a level without being seen by the guards if you wanted, or you could blast through the levels just like in the original but this time doing headshots, kicking doors and blowing s*it up with grenades and the always classics red barrels. You could also interact with some objects like stationary machine guns. Each level now has one or more objectives to mix things a bit but the game is still a oldschool shooter with secret areas and action packed, semi-linear levels (by semi-linear I mean there's on end of level but multiple routes).

*sigh* oh well, I'm writing a lot already, just give it a try, I still want to comment on Wolf2009.

Wolfenstein (wolf 2009) was a good shooter despite a few flaws. Raven added new habilities to BJ giving him a artifact to play with which provides new mystic powers through the game. You can now buy weapons and upgrades on some hub levels (another addition), and I liked it, it gave the player another reason to look for hidden treasures. There's also an alternative dimension that gives the player (and some stronger enemies) and advantage of speed and strenght. On the other hand they implemented regenerative health, removing the need to be more cautious with being shot and the reward of finding hidden areas with extra medkits.

What game is Return to Castle Wolfenstein a sequel to? Wolfenstein 3D, or Castle Wolfenstein? I'm thinking the latter because it also has stealth missions.

printz said:

What game is Return to Castle Wolfenstein a sequel to? Wolfenstein 3D, or Castle Wolfenstein? I'm thinking the latter because it also has stealth missions.

RTCW is a reboot to Wolf3D and Wolfenstein (2009) is a sequel to RTCW.

According to some article that I read the original Wolfenstein 3D had stealth features planned too but were scrapped in favour of a more action focused game. You can still see the remains of it in some cases, like killing a stationary or patrol guard from behind and if I remember correctly using the knife would avoid to get the attention of other soldiers.

LkMax said:

You can still see the remains of it in some cases, like killing a stationary or patrol guard from behind and if I remember correctly using the knife would avoid to get the attention of other soldiers.

It doesn't. They 'scream' on being stabbed and alert the others. Knife is just a last resort.

I agree with printz, it's a tie between Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. If I have to choose one, then it'll be Wolf 3D, mostly due to nostalgia, since SoD was even superior in some aspects.

Wolf 3D might look boring and samey by today's standards, but it was a blast back in the day and the suspense feel is still unrivalled.

As for add-on level sets, Spear Resurrection and Spear End of Destiny are certainly the most popular and critically acclaimed, but I feel they're somewhat overrated in the end. Personally, I would recommend Wolfenstein Sextilogy (an excellent piece of work), the recent Operation Eisenfaust: Origins (haven't played it yet, but looks amazing, and seems to be a nice source of textures if using them is permitted), Spear Reloaded and some more classical mapsets by Thomas Weiling.

RtCW was mostly a mixed bag. It had great levels, good levels, mediocre levels and really bad ones. I for one loved the stealth forest level and it was the main highlight of the game for me. I'm a big fan of the Commandos series, anyway. I enjoyed the aerial tram map as well, along with a number of others, but the labs, the catacombs and the final boss were absolutely ridiculous.

The only Wolfenstein I currently recall having fond memories of playing was RTCW, though it's been years since I last played any of them. Wolfenstein '09 didn't look all that promising to me so I never tried it out. Unlike Doom, I don't have any real attachment to it. All in all, it's always felt like a middling series of games.

Wolfenstein 3D (especially Episode 2; them mutants) and Spear of Destiny. Playing those on Death Incarnate mode with those silent mutants was fucking scary. Still kindof is to this day, too.

Vorpal said:

I "purchased" wolf 2009, and while linear and terribad story/voice acting... the gameplay is an absolute blast for me. If it ever goes on sale again I'm totally buying it.

Funny enough, I don't believe it's on Steam anymore unless it can be found elsewhere on sale.

Vorpal said:

I wouldn't say it's that bad, but yes, it's totally a blast. I can't beat the last section of the game though, too damn hard >_<.

My favorite was RTCW. I particulary liked that one stealth mission right before you enter into the chateau. it was a lot of fun sneaking around and assassinating all the Nazi guards without anyone noticing. The fact that there was no music in that level really set the mood as well.

40oz said:

RTCW was cool except for that stupid stealth level in the forest.

This.

RTCW is the best of them, but Wolf3d is a nice, simple shooter. It's dated as hell, but I'll play it on the DS as a time waster. SOD's levels were a lot more frustrating and mazey.

Wolf 2009 was the least open-world open-world game I'd played until Rage.