Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

They're not exactly bugs. ZDoom's things only have a radius and a height. To place a complete voxel vehicle in your levels, you also need to employ additional blockers.

Sorry for not posting on the status of the pack for a while. Progress is slow due to lack of motivation, laziness and the increasingly difficult models. However, progress IS being made. Here's a WIP picture of the hovercraft to prove it.

GooberMan said:

They're not exactly bugs. ZDoom's things only have a radius and a height. To place a complete voxel vehicle in your levels, you also need to employ additional blockers.

ah, ok....

Update. Made a hovercraft in 5 colors. The first water vehicle in the pack! This took way, WAY too much time to make. I'm gonna make one more watercraft and then release Beta 5.

So we've got two of the three emergency services: police cruisers and ambulances. Any plans for the third, i.e. fire engines?

(Come to think of it, the cops could also do with some prison transport vehicles.)

NiGHTMARE said:

So we've got two of the three emergency services: police cruisers and ambulances. Any plans for the third, i.e. fire engines?

(Come to think of it, the cops could also do with some prison transport vehicles.)

I don't think the 256^3 voxel limit of SLAB6 would allow me to make the fire truck long enough.

NerdKoopa said:

I don't think the 256^3 voxel limit of SLAB6 would allow me to make the fire truck long enough.

There are a range of vehicles in the fire service though. Some of them have relatively short wheelbases, like tankers and such.

jval said:

Excellent work!

Are you planning on adding voxels to DelphiDoom? It'd be cool if they started to be adopted outside of ZDoom. :)

I regret to inform you that the release of Beta 5 is going to be delayed BIG time. The motor boat turned out to be harder to make than I realised. I need to study boat hull designs more. This combined with my recent lack of motivation will push the release waaaaay back.

Gez said:

Are you planning on adding voxels to DelphiDoom? It'd be cool if they started to be adopted outside of ZDoom. :)

I have a work in progress (not yet released) that supports KVX voxels and also a custom format (along with a custom voxel editor), current only in OpenGL mode. Switches are unlikely to be supported, only things. If I understand correctly how zDoom works I 'm using a different approach, I don't assing a voxel to a sprite, instead I assing one (ore more) voxels to a state_t.

MAJOR UPDATE. Beta 5 is here! I decided to release it early and leave the troublesome motor boat for the next version. I just wanted to get the snow vehicles and the hovercraft out.
Link and info in first post, but here's the link too: http://www.mediafire.com/?jkxrpfhirn2q2es

Here's what's new for Beta 5:

* A snowmobile in 9 colors
* A snowcat in 4 colors
* A snowcoach in 4 colors plus one UAC variant
* A hovercraft in 5 colors

I'm posting this to inform everyone that the project is not dead despite my long silence. The motor boat has proven to be very difficult to model, because I don't know crap about boats. I've been modeling based purely on intuition and Google image searches. Anyways, here's a WIP pic of the boat. I'm going for a sterndrive design.

Freaking FINALLY finished that darn motor boat! Didn't come out quite as I hoped, but meh. Comes in 6 colors and will be included in Beta 6 eventually.

Update! Made a fire truck. At first I didn't want to make one because I thought an american fire truck would be too long for the 256^3 voxel limitation. I tried an european fire truck, and that one fit nicely! I'm more familiar with european fire trucks anyway. This one comes in two varieties, lights off and lights on. It will be included in Beta 6 eventually.

New link to Beta 5, because Mediafire destroyed the original file for some reason. http://www.mediafire.com/download/137elapl34wdjjb/vehipack_beta5b.pk3

There is a size limitation in voxels. Maximum dimension is 256x256x256. You could have a minibus sized like the van, but a coach bus is just too long to represent in scale.

Same reason why there's a semi truck, but not the trailer.

Keep in mind that voxels were originally added (to the Build engine) so as to make various small objects 3D; not large objects like vehicles. E.g. the drivable vehicles in Shadow Warrior were built out of sector tricks; not with voxels.