Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 3 In 2003

Found this over on HomeLan Fed. It's a big sign that's hanging on one corner of the Los Angeles Convention Center, which is gearing up for this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo:

Well, that clears up a few things nicely.

In my mind this just cements the notion that there *will* be a public display of Doom 3 at E3. Activision wouldn't pony up one of those giant signs for a closed-doors demo.

GooberMan said:

The release date tho... next year is too far away dammit!!!

The fact that id's attempting to fix their reputation when it comes to single-player experiences, coupled with all the art assets and code that's need to be done for an engine that portrays this kind of detail, explains the delay.

Release date 2003? Cool, that's ten years after the first Doom game's release.
That logo looks pretty cool too :-)

I guess a lot of super optimists on these forums who thought it'd be released this year are pretty disappointed now - see, I TOLD ya :-P

Zaldron: Yeah, that alone makes it worth waiting for, but that don't stop me wanting it released now :)

so they will officially call it "doom3" now? that sucks. now all you doomers can experience the pain I experienced with "quake": that you can't say that you like "doom" anymore without 99% of people thinking you are referring to "doom3". Maybe doom3 will be a totally different game from doom, and you still prefer to play the old one, but the name will have been hijacked.

It doesn't surprise me that the release date is set somewhere in 2003. As someone already mentioned, this game needs a lot high quality assets (maps, textures, models). I would be disappointed though, if Doom3test doesn't appear this year.

Btw, that logo rocks! *drool*

Fred Nilsson, id's animator, confirmed me on ICQ that they will be showing stuff on Activision's booth.

What kind of stuff, dunno, but they're reserving the whole technical showcase for Willits, behind-doors presentation, that's for sure.

Aardappel said:

so they will officially call it "doom3" now? that sucks. now all you doomers can experience the pain I experienced with "quake": that you can't say that you like "doom" anymore without 99% of people thinking you are referring to "doom3". Maybe doom3 will be a totally different game from doom, and you still prefer to play the old one, but the name will have been hijacked.

First: We've known that the game's official name is "Doom 3" since May 3.
Second: We don't all agree that it sucks that it's called "Doom 3" - I certainly don't, I think it rocks - id finally decided to do a real sequel to Doom and Doom 2, something I think that the old games definitely deserve.
And I don't give a damn what all those kids who haven't tried the old Doom games think. If id does it right, I'll be too busy enjoying the Hell out of Doom 3 to give a shit about all those kids, if id doesn't do it right, at least they'll have made a great game for me to enjoy (the only post Doom 2 game I haven't enjoyed is Q3A - I know id's style and id's style happens to appeal to me a lot!) and I STILL wont care what the kiddies think.

GooberMan said:

The release date tho... next year is too far away dammit!!!

Yeah, that's the year I'll graduate...IT BETTER BE OUT IN EARLY 2003 DAMNIT!!!!

Seriously, I don't want to have to be in my first sememster of college when it does.

dsm: Actually, now that you mention it, that does seem fitting; release a megahit on the 10th ani of DOOM 1's release. I also agree with you, judging by the screenshots at least, that this will be a REAL sequel to the DOOM series.

Aardapple: Keep up with the news, dude; it was officially announced it would be called DOOM III on May 3rd, Lingy's b-day ;)

Doom III in 2003....

Well I'd rather wait and have Id software get it right than..

have them rush and get it something wrong..

Good things are worth wating for....

Notice the subtle element of the logo? That's not just a metallic gradient: it's the planet Mars looming in the bottom half of the each line. :)

Aardappel said:

Could be a good thing because it will draw peoples' attention to the originals which many will then be inclined to try.
I have no doubt Doom3 will be a very good game,but for it to be as good as the original in it's time,that's down to something other than pure design.Let's hope Doom3 has that certain 'X' factor too.

first off, ZarcyB......that pic ain't right. Thats wrong what u did to that pic. 2nd....any word of Doom3 test d/l would be appreciated in the near future=) let's just hope id makes this game feel like "Doom"

wheeee.

I've always referede to quake 3 as q3. and Quake 2 as Quake2. and quake as quake.

Originally posted by dsm:
Release date 2003? Cool, that's ten years after the first Doom game's release.
That logo looks pretty cool too :-)

It is classic for sure, >:/ but havn't we already seen a similar logo looked like it 9 years ago? I doubt that we can ever have a proper doom icon here to be using on forums due to its size... 0_0

As much concerned as some of the classic Doomers are, I'm also worried if id would impress us gamers with its OWN gameplay besides new features including realistic graphics and lightnesses. It'd better have its own gameplay style all I can hope. It just gotta be totally out-of-quakishness. Otherwise, why would the bios call it as "Doom 3" if they would only plug the continuous sequal of Doom in the game and without featuring what Doom is supposed to be? Why not just Quake 4? :p

Seeing the DOOM3 sign made my day. i hope it lives up to the originals. id never let me down before...how can they capture all that is DOOM after so much time has passed and so many new faces are working at id???

i'm having my fingers surgicly crossed!

Crusader said:

Notice the subtle element of the logo? That's not just a metallic gradient: it's the planet Mars looming in the bottom half of the each line. :)

Wow, didn't notice that until I saw that comment just now.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, seeing that logo made me cum ;)