Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hex11

Undeath '94 - a new vanilla Doom episode (beta)

so, the levels is actually finished, but there's this HOM effect in the sky (i have it also with nodes compiled with ZDBSP) using the vanilla doom.exe, as first i think it could be for different sky heights in the map, then i'll fixed it using only the higher sky height for all the map, but testing it again gave me the same error, so i shrink it a little, but the story still the same.

Any suggestions to fix this problem?

Maybe it's something with the red pillars or one segment of the fence midtexture? I can check the map if you upload it.

Could be too many linesegs at once on screen?
Changing map compilers doesn't help much here.
Had a similar problem with a city map - sweat blood to squeeze away lines until it was gone without destroying the original look.

p.s.: remember this is a guess.

I looked at the map in Yadex (and ran its automatic sanity checks) but didn't find anything. It might be like _bruce_ said that you're running into one of the vanilla limits. Try using the ChocoRenderLimits and maybe it will highlight the source of the HOM. I haven't used this program yet, but looking at the source code patch shows that it has some HOM detection functionality. There's a Windows binary so you can try it right away (I'll have to compile an OpenBSD binary).

uhm... i'm not working on it from a very long time.... but just needs to fix few things.... If anyone wants to join this, you are always welcome!

I haven't touched my map for a couple months. Lots of computer problems, had to switch OS to Puppy Linux, but can't find Yadex binary. Earlier this month I installed DEU 5.21 in DOSBox, and started learning it by making a short map (same thing/sector/vertex count as Sandy's original E2M9). It's not bad, but not as convenient as Yadex. Well, if I don't get a new computer soon, I'll just edit my map with DEU. Still wanting to get it done before next year...

Sweet! I got you down for the E1M6 slot. And, uh I got myself a new computer now, so I'm gonna finish my map. Trying to use DEU in DOSBox just wasn't cutting it (much too slow, except for really small maps).

I got you down for E1M7. And that map looks interesting and familiar somehow. It's possible another old map may have used it as a base, but I can't remember for sure. I tried playing through but the all barons kicked my ass. Died at the BFG room. :-)

Okay so I spent this week changing all the textures to what would appear in an E1 map. I removed all Barons, lost souls, & plasma weapons and replaced them accordingly. Difficulty settings are implemented to an extent, Monsters will change, but not health and ammo. My biggest concern are the yellow & blue key doors, I had an idea in mind, but due to the lack of effects for doors with keys it's pretty complex right now. Let me know what you think about those doors and if you don't like it I'll just do something more traditional. http://www.solidfiles.com/d/629ee34113/

Jaws In Space said:

Okay so I spent this week changing all the textures to what would appear in an E1 map. I removed all Barons, lost souls, & plasma weapons and replaced them accordingly. Difficulty settings are implemented to an extent, Monsters will change, but not health and ammo. My biggest concern are the yellow & blue key doors, I had an idea in mind, but due to the lack of effects for doors with keys it's pretty complex right now. Let me know what you think about those doors and if you don't like it I'll just do something more traditional. http://www.solidfiles.com/d/629ee34113/

mmm... tested this evening and i found some of these bugs in vanilla doom.exe:

a lower-unpegged texture here (also what is the purpose of that long window?)

lots of tutti-fruiti textures here and there, change with some other textures like tekwaal1 or comp2 or any other...

awful HOM here (yup, i had the same problem on my map...)

also, layout is kinda of confusing, and some parts needs to be better recognizable adding some bords or changing textures or whatever...

nice map btw but next time dd also the original map thanks

2nd update, difficulty setting are now fully implemented and the map is in the E1M7 slot. I went through and replaced the textures that caused tutti-fruiti effect, all lower unpegged textures should be corrected, the HOM should no longer appear in the outside area, & the yellow doors have been somewhat simplified. Here is the update

Okay here is my second map for E1M5 based off of this http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=953 I spent alot more time going through this one to make sure that there were no problems. I got rid of most issues but there are some HOMs in the acid tank. If anybody has any suggestions as to how to fix it please let me know. You can download it here http://www.solidfiles.com/d/5da61fd262/

dachauncinator: Sorry for the long delay, but you can have E1M9 if you like, it's the last slot left.

Jaws in Space: Those are great maps! I played through both (only found 50% and 0% secrets so far though) and noticed this tutti-fruti glitch on E1M7:

The BK door also wouldn't open from the "other" side, so I couldn't go that way after teleporting to the outside and going through the back (maybe you forgot to set that linedef as a door type?) And it also seemed like I couldn't open the exit door after unlocking the RK door, so I wandered around the map a bit and then returned (without hitting any switches) but that time it opened fine, so dunno... Maybe I jusn't wasn't positioned right the first time, or maybe I wandered over a linedef that made the exit door accessible.

I didn't find any errors on E1M5, but saw the glitches you mentioned. Those are actually "slime trails" rather than HOM bug. I don't know if there's much you can do about them except to try a different node builder. Speaking of which, what program did you use? When I tried the maps in chocolate-doom, it printed these warnings at startup:

(TMATCH-1a.wad)
PadRejectArray: REJECT lump too short to pad! (1541 > 16)

(October.WAD)
PadRejectArray: REJECT lump too short to pad! (4325 > 16)

It's a start at least...

Is it okay if someone continues what you made so far, or do you plan to use it for another project?

I was thinking of joining this the other day. If we're basing this on existing wads I think I know what I'll choose. I'll have to work on it alongside my Go # It project so it might be a long time coming. I'll have a thorough look at the DM wads to find a reasonable base.

At this point, both E1M6 (Central Processing) and E1M9 (Military Base) slots are open, so if you can find a map/idea that fits either, then go 4 it! :-)

Wow I almost forgot about this. I use Slade 2 as my map editor, it has a built in node builder so that's what I use. I downloaded a few other node builders just to see if they could fix the slime trails, but none were able to. When testing for vanilla compatibility I have to use Doom95 as chocolate doom & DOS don't work on my computer. Here is an update to October, I was able to get rid of the slime trails by slightly modifying the layout of that area.

As for Tmatch, yeah you must have just been standing in a bad spot when you tried to open the Red Key door. I'll replace that tutti-frutti texture with one that doesn't cause problems. I'll also alter the blue key door as well by removing the pillars, & just have a normal blue door.

Yeah that acid vat looks a lot better! I only noticed one thing this time: after you go through the YK door and start climbing the spiral staircase, you can't go back out that door the opposite way. I was going to run back outside to grab one of the stimpacks before picking up the soulsphere, but found myself blocked at the doorway. That's one of the tricky things about stairs in DOOM: sometimes the floor-ceiling gap is just barely enough for you to climb up, but not go back down. In most cases it's a bug, but some mappers exploit this feature to trick/trap the player into a fight he can't back out of.

Actually there was also a "tight" spot in one of those blue-carpetted corridors, with a diagonal stair that blocks a bit until you manage to bump your way past it. It's that T-junction next to the plasma gun. You can get around it, but maybe not on the first attempt. In this case, I think both going up & down was a bit tight.